Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 PM
mzb mzb started this thread

29 posts, read 81,906 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from Louisiana to Connecticut next year. My husband will work out of Bridgeport for 2 yrs and we are trying to get a sense of the area.
We have heard that Bridgeport is not really a great place to raise a family. We are aware of how expensive Connecticut is and are really worried if we will be able to find a good public school and a good neighborhood to raise our 3 yr old.School is a big priority and we are looking to rent (upto $1500).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:33 PM

271 posts, read 1,273,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzb View Post
My family is relocating from Louisiana to Connecticut next year. My husband will work out of Bridgeport for 2 yrs and we are trying to get a sense of the area.
We have heard that Bridgeport is not really a great place to raise a family. We are aware of how expensive Connecticut is and are really worried if we will be able to find a good public school and a good neighborhood to raise our 3 yr old.School is a big priority and we are looking to rent (upto $1500).
There are lots of great towns with good schools near Bridgeport:

Trumbull, Shelton, Fairfield, Monroe, Milford, Orange, Seymour

Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. Is any one of those areas you suggested better than the others? We like the outdoors, theater and eating out.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM

420 posts, read 1,167,715 times
I'd say the best bet for your price range is either Trumbull, Shelton or Seymour. The rest are very nice towns, but are very expensive cost wise. Trumbull, Shelton, and Seymour all have good schools and are some of the cheapest towns in that region. Hope this helps!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
I agree with Shelton and Seymour. Both are nice towns with good schools, and are affordable compared to their neighbors 15 miles south. Both towns are in the Naugatuck River Valley and are pretty diverse. Since you enjoy dining out, Seymour has some excellent Italian food. If you don't mind driving 15 minutes there are plenty of great restaurants nearby in New Haven.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Are these big towns with a city feel or are these small towns with town feel-I do plan to fly down in sept/oct to check out the schools myself but I will need to know where to start-your posts have been very helpful.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Hi, I will be moving to connecticut next june and have a preschooler.Although my hubby will be working in Bridgeport-we do not plan to live there. Our choice of housing depends on where we can find good schools. We cannot afford expensive private schools-what are our options? Pl help.

[+] Rate this post positively

-JayCT You probably should post a new thread but I will reply anyway. ]
]Welcome to Connecticut. The good thing about Connecticut is that the public education system is excellent. It is always considered to be one of the best in the country. Please note that generally each town has its own education system with some of the smaller towns participating in a "regional" system. This keeps the systems are fairly small and helps keep the quality high.Many of the towns in the Bridgeport area have excellent schools. Fairfield, Easton and Trumbull are among the best in the state. Also very good are Shelton, Stratford, Milford and Monroe. Which town is best for you will depend on your budget, needs and likes and dislikes. Fairfield and Easton are very pricey, as is Trumbull. More information would help us steer you in the right direction. Jay

Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks Jay, Trumbul is getting a lot of nods from everyone for being affordable and having good schools.. we were looking to rent for no more than $1500 for a two bedroom but we would hate to be in a town with very little to do in terms of recreation.Are there certain schools in Fairfield and Trumbul that are particularly good- my child will be 4yrs when we move.Are Trumbul and Fairfield a short train ride away from NY?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,961,222 times
Mzb

the towns mentioned, Seymour & Shelton- The former has just under 16,000, while the latter 41,000 are New England Mill towns- that are seeing new life from those like yourself seeking less expensive housing. Both towns are nice places to live.

Trumbull-population 35,000 lies just to the northwest of Bridgeport and has been a suburb of that town for the last 3 decades.

As far as lower priced rents of $1500 a month as you suggested- Shelton would probably givve you the most bang for your buck, followed by Trumbull. Seymour's smaller size may have limited options for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
Monroe borders Trumbull, and also has excellent schools. Monroe's population is just under 20k. It's a family-oriented town with wonderful parks. Monroe has larger lot sizes than Trumbull; most homes in Monroe are on at least one acre. There are a lot of activities for preschoolers in Monroe. Whether you choose Monroe, Trumbull, or Shelton, since they border each other it is only a short car ride away to parks/YMCA/craft studios/etc.

To take the train to NYC from Monroe or Trumbull, you would need to drive to Bridgeport or Fairfield. Fairfield is a great town to consider. It's larger than Monroe and Trumbull with a population of around 50k. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants in Fairfield, and you are closer to the train station. However, Fairfield is pricier. Shelton is another option, it's a nice small city. You should find several rentals in your price range. However, the high school isn't as good as the previous towns mentioned, but most of the elementary schools are considered good.

I would suggest googling for rentals in the towns you are considering, to get a sense of what is available.

If you'd like to compare schools by town, here is a great website:
Search for Connecticut public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut