Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 PM

217 posts, read 961,343 times

Advertisements

To Readers:

I would like to know if anyone has any input as to which cities in the northeast or generally the east coast are best for someone in their twenties. I am looking to move out of the suburbs but seem to be hitting a cost barrier with NYC, any advice besides NYC? Anyone know anything about New Haven, Hartford, other east coast places-Phila, DC? Which places would be suitable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

154 posts, read 802,079 times
Boston would be way up there. Largest concentration of college people in the country, and smart ones at that. Has a decent nightlife with lots of bars, parks, things to do. It is also close to Newport, Cape Cod, and Portsmouth for getting away for a weekend. The traffic is bad, the drivers worse, but it is a fun time. My sister lives there as well as 2 friends.

Hartford would be a no. It gets pretty shady in the bars and clubs on the weekends and most of the places are a meat market. (which could be good I suppose if you are a female).

I've heard good things about Philly from a couple people that go to clubs there but I've never been there personally.

New Haven is the best nightlife in CT but definitely no where near NYC or any of the larger cities. Has good restaurants, good amount of college aged people with Southern CT and Yale universities in town, and a good amount of bars and clubs. Places close early though, 2am. Thats why NYC is go great, we go clubbing and the DJ is still on until 6am. The problem with New Haven is that most of the hot spots are concentrated on around 5-10 blocks so after you go there for a while it can get a bit old while the other cities are so expansive that you never run out of places to see or new restaurants or bars to try.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,239 times
Providence is a nice city. You have several colleges in the city which adds to the young professional crowd.

Baltimore, MD?

How far South do you want to go? Are you still in college or out - looking for a school to do a Masters by chance?

Ask around on the other state forums. I've lived several places along the east coast - feel free to PM me.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Default reply regarding cities

Thanks for the input, I think I may look into Boston and Philadelphia so far. New Haven seems to be a bit attractive, but someone suggested it can be limiting in options- but attractive cost of living wise. In reference to Philly it seems to be affordable compared to NYC, and not to far away but I looked up info.- it seems to have a high unemployment rate and crime issues. Anyone know anything about Philly? I am going to post on Philly too.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:02 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I lived in New Haven when I was in my early twenties and I loved it. Don't get me wrong, it is (obviously) no Boston or NYC, but it is a great smaller urban area. There are many great restaurants, from the finer dining establishments to cheap (but great) food. There are plenty of bars and clubs ranging from gay bars to dance clubs to laid back places to just down a pint in a friendly atmosphere. Thanks to Yale being right there, there is much to do regarding the arts (plays, theater, art museum, etc.). I think New Haven is a great city to live/hang out in while in your 20's, but if you are looking for a larger urban experience, New Haven isn't it.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 AM

135 posts, read 437,501 times
Hi,
You might like Stamford. It's closer to the city than New Haven, and it's also bigger. There is a lot going on here, many pubs, clubs etc.
I'm in my mid twenties and personally love it here.
Magdalena1

Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 PM

150 posts, read 799,141 times
A friend of mine mentioned once that Greenwich, CT was a good place for singles. It's REAL expensive but with all the corporate headquarters has a diverse population. Rich, sort of rich, almost rich, going to get rich, thinking about getting rich.... lol

Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 AM

I appreciate the replies: I like the possibility of Stamford, New Haven for a smaller city. And Boston for a larger one. However, isn't Stamford smaller than New Haven though? I looked into Stamford, seems like it has received a spill over of companies and people from NYC, but what type of people, younger or mid-aged married?

Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,413 times
Default Stamford

Stamford is your SPOT. All young professionals great town with RBS moving in to town in four years . . . Its also the largest financial center in the US next to NYC. . . Definitly the hot spot.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM

43 posts, read 276,942 times
Lots of young people living in and around the downtown Stamford area.

Many clubs, bars, restaurants and theaters in downtown Stamford as well.

Also, close to NYC by train and South Norwalk is only 10 minutes by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut