Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekNYC View Post
My fear is that it's a tourist trap.
Past the aquarium and restaurants....what else is there?
It's definitely a tourtist trap, but a nice one. The aquarium is a very pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon. Pay attention to what time the shows start...on busy days people line up quickly.

Mystic Seaport, at Mystic Seaport: The Museum of America and the Seaâ„¢ : Home is a nifty outdoor museum right on the water. You can walk on old wooden sailing ships and through a re-created 19th century waterfront village. My wife and I loved it and could have spent the entire day there. The 8 year old was good for an hour, then thought it was stupid.

Mystic Village is very pleasant to walk around. We've never had a meal-to-die-for in Mystic, but it's usually fun. However, twice we have eaten at the Steak Loft (it's near the aquarium), and I have never been treated so rudely in my entire life.

One day I'm going to get to the Submarine Museum and see the USS Nautilus in nearby Groton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
The Submarine Museum is very interesting as is the USS Nautilus.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The Submarine Museum is very interesting as is the USS Nautilus.
I agree. We were just there and even if you do not go out on the sub, the museum tells a very interesting story. My kids loved it. Jay

Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,858 times
Bumping for more suggestions....

I am looking to do a girls weekend (just for a night) in Mystic. We had planned to stay at the Inn at Stonington, which came highly recommended to me, but unfortunately, they do not have any rooms with separate sleeping areas.

The reviews for the Marriot, Hilton, and Hyatt are all over the place. We will be using the spa at the Marriott, so I think that would be the easiest place to stay, but wanted to see if anyone here had personal experiences with these hotels. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 116,335 times
We stayed at all three of those hotels while in the process of relocating. They are all fine. We got the Hilton and Hyatt through Priceline - they are rated as 2.5 stars and we paid no more than $45 a night last winter. In the off season there are lots of deals to be had around here.

The Marriott is much more of an upscale/luxury hotel. The rooms are bigger and nicer, and they have a really nice exercise facility. If you get a good rate there I'd go for it.

Between the Hilton and Hyatt, I'd give the Hyatt a slight edge if only for the free breakfast.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM

235 posts, read 783,454 times
We've stayed at both the Marriott & Hyatt Place during the last 6 months. The quality of rooms/fixtures is very good at both places, though the Hyatt is more modern and (in my opinion) better value for money. The free breakfast at the Hyatt is only noteworthy if you get there before 8am. After that time we found it to be mayhem, with food and silverware running out and staff getting more harried by the minute.

My wife has used the Red Door spa at the Marriott a couple of times and really loved it. She also preferred the convenience of walking to and from our room at the Marriott, when using the spa. That may be something you wish to consider.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
Bumping for more suggestions....

I am looking to do a girls weekend (just for a night) in Mystic. We had planned to stay at the Inn at Stonington, which came highly recommended to me, but unfortunately, they do not have any rooms with separate sleeping areas.

The reviews for the Marriot, Hilton, and Hyatt are all over the place. We will be using the spa at the Marriott, so I think that would be the easiest place to stay, but wanted to see if anyone here had personal experiences with these hotels. Thanks!
Hi! Well the Marriot is awesome....especially if you want to use the spa...and the bar and restaurant are decent too. I've been to several weddings and had many spa treaments there. It's not right in town but it's just a few miles from the action....and it's a really nice hotel surrounded by woods and across the street from a resevoir so it's not on a super busy obnoxious off town area like the middle of Groton town or New London, which is nice.

I'd definitely use this as a good home base. It's still very close to Mystic and the Borough (the borough being where the Inn at stonington is). As far as a girls weekend I'd definitely go to downtown Mystic for dinner at Azu and maybe shop during the day either in downtown Mystic or walk around and shop and dine in the Stonington borough. The borough has some great restaurants...Water St. Cafe, Noahs, The Dog Watch, and Milagros are all AWESOME at night but the Stonington Borough is much quieter than Mystic at night. Mystic is a tad livelier (sp?). There are alot of bars such as Bravo, S&P, Johns, Azu, Margaritas, Riverwalk, Voodoo Grill...etc...

Regardless - both towns are just a few miles from eachother and they're both on the water so you can't go wrong. Definitely get out of the hotel and go into town. I do love the area - especially this time of year. Every few weeks my best friend and I play tourist or have a girls day and we always remark afterwards how much we actually like our town. Sorry if this is all over the place - I'm just trying to think of what I'd do if I only had a night here!!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!!

Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut