Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times

Advertisements

Question:

Does anyone know what the status is of Bridgeport's Palace & Majestic theaters? Last thing I remember hearing was many years ago (right before his arrest) the former Mayor Ganim was trying to get a renovation revival up and running. I've never heard anything else.

When Ganim announced the intended revival there were some newspaper articles showing the inside - run down yes - but fantasic. They would have (in their prime) given any NYC theater a run for their money in the way of opulent architecture & materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Palace and Majestic are a true hidden gem. I had seen the interior when I went to school with the last owners son. It is very sad that they have been allowed to rot the way they have. Years ago a religous group wanted the building to be the center of their faith but the city did not want that. At least the place would have been occupied. Sadly I do not think anything has been done since then. the new mayor should try to make it a priority. Jay

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I certainly hope they get renovated and cleaned up--and ultimately, used. Sad state of affairs. This could be a big turning point for Bridgeport's revitalization. Bring first class arts and culture back to the heart of the city.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Does the city own them now??? Just wondering??? I hear they just hired a new Ec. Dev. Director, he really ought to make this his 1st priority.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

This building has been owned by the city for years and they have just sat there. Very sad to see such a gem sit idle. Jay

Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM

I did some more poking around on the internet - it turns out that these buildings are listed on the National Register of Historical Places. They were added in 1979.

Palace and Majestic Theaters (added 1979 - Building - #79002626)
National Register of Historical Places - CONNECTICUT (CT), Fairfield County

I found some pictures of the inside
1st one posted on Flickr.com
chandelierinbridgeport on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22723721@N05/2249515365/ - broken link)

And a whole group of gorgeous pictures of the inside at Cinematour.com
CinemaTour - Cinemas Around the World - Palace Theater, Bridgeport CT

All the pictures seem to be of the inside of the Palace - which means what? Likely, the Majestic is just as beautiful.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM

Both theaters are stunning. It is so sad to see them just sit there vacant. The city and state should do something but finding a good use for them is difficult and expensive. Stratford has been trying to reopen the old Shakespere Theater there for years and has not been successful and that theater is not nearly as big as these. one can only hope someone will come along before it is too late. Jay

Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
They need to do something there, that part of Main Street looks horrible. They renovated the Palace Theater in Waterbury a few years ago and that has been a success at getting people downtown.

The Klein Theater isn't as ornate as the other two but it has some historical importance. It was built in the 1940's and many important people have spoken there including Martin Luther King and Eleanor Roosevelt. They get some decent shows too.....the summer schedule includes: Chris Isaak, Pat Benatar, Dave Attell from Comedy Central, and B.B. King.

Plus the renovation of the Bijou Theater is looking really good. Two Boots opened their restaurant/bar downstairs...they are still working on the movie theater. They said they are going to show mostly independent + foreign films. I think that will be a good niche for them.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,784 times
Does anyone remember the Crystal Palace and the Corner Pocket? The former was an arcade and the latter was a beer pool hall. I know these joints actually existed, but cannot turn up any info on them when I do an on-line search. Any info from those who remember these places would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyenxyr View Post
Does anyone remember the Crystal Palace and the Corner Pocket? The former was an arcade and the latter was a beer pool hall. I know these joints actually existed, but cannot turn up any info on them when I do an on-line search. Any info from those who remember these places would be greatly appreciated!
Last I heard corner pocket is right where it has always been in Orange on the post road.

Back to original subject, heard that there are cops with keys to the theaters in Bprt, and are using them in their off time as a backdrop to try and start up a new ooooo to scary spook hunters show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut