Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 20,711 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to see a mail from my leasing company ( GMAC ) to pay personal property tax on my leased car . I leased this car from IL and moved to CT ( zip 06810 Danbury ) last Sept . As soon as I moved my lease payment went up by $20 and the leasing company said its of CT tax. Anyway I moved from CT to OH this June and now I received this Property Tax bill !! So Do I need to pay both the taxes in CT ?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM

575 posts, read 3,121,952 times
You will need to pay the property tax in CT based on the amount of time the car was in the state (town you lived in). It normally goes yearly, but if you were in X amount of months they will divide the amount to reflect it.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,724,644 times
You will pay sales tax with each monthly installment. If the state's sales tax percentage changes (goes up or down), your payment will adjust accordingly.

Personal property taxes will be paid by your lessor (since the lessor OWNS the vehicle) and then will be re-billed to you, the lessee, by them. In theory, your bill should be pro-rated for the period that you lived here: September - June.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 07-19-2008 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
When we leased our vehicle from GMAC, we paid property taxes for the car directly to our town, GMAC had nothing to do with it. The bills came from the town. Then again, GMAC screwed up our lease in more ways than we can count, they even lost the car for a few months after we turned it in, and had the nerve to claim we still had it. But yes, unfortunately one way or the other, you will still need to pay property taxes for a leased vehicle.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,913,501 times
Yes personal property tax is required. Great isn't it?

$20 a month? You're lucky, that sounds low.

If I were you, be sure that's a proper amount as GMAC may be "guesstimating". If they are wrong and it's supposed to be $40 a month - About the norm on a car a couple/few years old, you will get a bill at the end of the year from GMAC for the difference.

The average tax on a $20K car with a mill rate of 25 would be about $500 per year.

If you don't like this tax...VOTE ACCORDINGLY THIS NOVEMBER on this principle regardless of what letter is in front on the name. We are taxed to death in this state. We need to reduce spending, cut government size and lower our tax burden. It's killing our economy and residents.

P.S. If you try and get cute and do you own Boston Tea Party and not pay...they will not let you renew your registration and the "late" fees are mafia like.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 AM

575 posts, read 3,121,952 times
I have no problem paying a car tax, but I think it should be a flat tax rather than by town and be collected at the state level and then redistributed by town based on population or miles of roads. Or just haved it capped at a certain millrate, like in Mass.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,724,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
When we leased our vehicle from GMAC, we paid property taxes for the car directly to our town, GMAC had nothing to do with it. The bills came from the town. Then again, GMAC screwed up our lease in more ways than we can count, they even lost the car for a few months after we turned it in, and had the nerve to claim we still had it. But yes, unfortunately one way or the other, you will still need to pay property taxes for a leased vehicle.
This is very unusual. The owner of the vehicle is/was GMAC. It sounds as though this was messed up during the registration process.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
Why am I having to pay property taxes on something that I do not OWN? When a person rents a house, the OWNER of the house pays property tax on the house not the renter. So why am I expected to pay property tax, and then tax on the property tax of something I do on even OWN?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:31 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klcathey View Post
Why am I having to pay property taxes on something that I do not OWN? When a person rents a house, the OWNER of the house pays property tax on the house not the renter. So why am I expected to pay property tax, and then tax on the property tax of something I do on even OWN?
The lessor is billed, who pays it and then passes on the fee to you. That’s just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut