Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 10:13 AM

75 posts, read 394,855 times

Advertisements

My husband's work will be with Pro-Health and he is going to work in Glastonbury as a pediatrician. He will be required to drive as often as needed into Hartford to see the kids/babies in the hospital (cannot recall which one, but it's a children's hospital). Honestly can you give us an idea what the commute would be like from say, Hebron or Marlborough? How about in the winter w/ snow and ice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I live in Marlborough and can be in downtown Hartford in 25 minutes and I live a few miles off of the highway (Rt. 2). Chances are the hospital you are talking about is CT Childrens Medical Center which is right next to Hartford Hospital, so the 25 minutes is right on. As long as if he is driving during rush hour he goes Rt. 2 to Rt. 3 to 91 North (as opposed to Rt. 2 to 84 west) he shouldn't hit much traffic at all. I find it best to avoid I-84 most times if possible.

If the commute is from Hebron, you would have to tack more time on to that commute. Marlborough is faster because Rt. 2 (a highway) goes through the town, from Hebron you would have to travel through Marlborough or about 8-9 miles through eastern Glastonbury (probably Rt. 94, a single lane road but the speed is 45 mph) to get over to Rt. 2.

Of course it depends what area of Hebron you live in. If you live close to the Marlborough/Glastonbury town lines on the western part of Hebron, say off of Rt. 94, the drive will be the same as from Marlborough, maybe just a little longer.

Editing b/c I didn't address the snow/ice question: They keep the roads well plowed and salted/sanded, that goes for the state roads as well as the towns of Hebron and Marlborough. If the weather is nasty, usually you just tack on a few minutes extra to allow yourself more time to get to the highway. Usually the highways are just wet due to a decent volume of traffic keeping the snow off of the road in conjunction with the state sanding/salting the highways. You might have some snow on the town roads but usually never more than an inch or so. Very rarely do we get white out conditions or roads so slippery it would take much more time. Most people have front wheel drive cars with just regular all season tires and do just fine, so driving through mass amounts of snow isn't really a concern in CT. Being your husband may be driving at all hours, he may want to have AWD or 4WD just for the fact that they plow more during the day than in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut