Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 49,005 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the real truth about the Long Island Sound along the CT. coast ?. What is the present status of this body of water?. What areas are better than others?. thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
The status of LI Sound is good- it is much cleaner then 30 years ago. East of New Haven there are smaller towns, with a traditional New England maritime persona. There are some nice town and state beaches and the water has more clarity then toward the west of New Haven.

Beyond to the east of the mouth of Connecticut river- where the sound opens up to Block Island sound and the Atlantic, the water becomes rougher and even cleaner.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 PM

94 posts, read 162,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
East of New Haven there are smaller towns, with a traditional New England maritime persona.
Really? A lot places along the shore look somewhat like Jersey to me. Soundview in Old Lyme and many beach neighborhoods in Saybrook and Westbrook seemed Jersey-esque as opposed to Cape Cod-like.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
I think Skytrekker was talking about the actual towns themselves (ie. Madison, Old Saybrook, Mystic/Stonington) not the beaches that are found in them. However, yes the Connecticut shoreline is much different from Cape Cod, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Much of the upper cape (Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro) is protected by the National Seashore, which limits growth and business in those areas, making those beaches much more bucolic and serene. However, on the lower Cape (Yarmouth, Dennis, Barnstable) I think you can argue that the beaches there are very Jersey-esque. It really depends on where you go in Connecticut, some beaches will be much more developed than others (Soundview in Old Lyme vs. Harkness in Waterford.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
Really? A lot places along the shore look somewhat like Jersey to me. Soundview in Old Lyme and many beach neighborhoods in Saybrook and Westbrook seemed Jersey-esque as opposed to Cape Cod-like.
I don't agree with this at all. New Jersey beaches are densely developed (a lot of homes on small lots and well developed waterfront areas) with a lot of commercial areas and boardwalks. Connecticut beaches do not have that and are less dense overall. Maybe it is not exactly like the cape, but it isn't Jersey either. Jay

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Soundview does look like some areas on C. Jersey Shore. Go take a drive there.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I think Skytrekker was talking about the actual towns themselves (ie. Madison, Old Saybrook, Mystic/Stonington) not the beaches that are found in them. However, yes the Connecticut shoreline is much different from Cape Cod, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Much of the upper cape (Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro) is protected by the National Seashore, which limits growth and business in those areas, making those beaches much more bucolic and serene. However, on the lower Cape (Yarmouth, Dennis, Barnstable) I think you can argue that the beaches there are very Jersey-esque. It really depends on where you go in Connecticut, some beaches will be much more developed than others (Soundview in Old Lyme vs. Harkness in Waterford.
Plus Cape Cod water is MAAAAAAAAAAD cold, at least the ocean side. BRRRR

Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
New Jersey beaches are densely developed (a lot of homes on small lots and well developed waterfront areas) with a lot of commercial areas and boardwalks.
That's making a really general statement (I'm one to talk ). A few years back, Nat'l Geographic did an excellent article on the Jersey Shore, all the way from Sandy Hook to Cape May. IMO, quite a few beaches in north Jersey look similar to Soundview (for instance), replete with jetskis, "blowout" haircuts, steroid juicers, and all. Of course, many beaches in CT (and our neighbor to the southwest) look nothing like this .

Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
As a geographer- who has visited the Jersey shore many times- and also spent time on the CT shoreline- there is no part of the CT shoreline that begins to resemble New Jersey's Atlantic coastline. The population density is less- and there is more restrictive zoning that limits the density of development- in CT as Jay has said.

The Shoreline towns east of New Haven all have an historical New England maritime theme and 'house form & culture' that is New England- and certainly does not look like NJ.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
That's making a really general statement (I'm one to talk ). A few years back, Nat'l Geographic did an excellent article on the Jersey Shore, all the way from Sandy Hook to Cape May. IMO, quite a few beaches in north Jersey look similar to Soundview (for instance), replete with jetskis, "blowout" haircuts, steroid juicers, and all. Of course, many beaches in CT (and our neighbor to the southwest) look nothing like this .
My statement is no more generalized than yours. Plus it is kind of hard not to generalize when you are talking about such a large area. You wil not find long boardwalks flank by commercial development in CT, but you do in NJ. You will not find a lot of small homes on small lots fronting on manmade inlets and waterways, but in NJ you do. Yes NJ has some wonderful and beautiful shoreline areas and the boardwalks and dense housing makes it a great vacation area for families. I just do not agree that the Ct shore is anything like that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut