Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,967 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My three kids (9, 11 & 13) are relocating to the Fairfield CT area and I have a question about neighborhoods. I have done a ton of research about schools and feel confident that with a few visits I will be able to get an understanding of a good fit for us. I will have one in elementary, middle and high school next year (2009-10). Is there an area of Fairfield that is cute, quaint, artsy, walking to restaurants, etc.? I am a single Mom (grew up in NYC with cousins in Westport) and would like to find a neighborhood that is a bit less "conservative" and laid back. I could tell you where to live in Atlanta but you really can't google a neighborhood feel. I would sincerely appreciate any help you could give it. A few brief thoughts -- good areas to look/not so great areas to look--would be invaluable. I've heard that their are cute neighborhoods with small houses near the coast line. My housing budget is less than 600k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I would suggest Fairfield and also Milford (the latter giving you allot for housing at 600K as compared to Fairfield- though at 600K FFLD will offer more then swanky Westport.

Milford in New Haven county is a pleasant seaside community with a pleasant downtown, very good schools, nice shops and restaurants and access to the beach.

A small house in Fairfield near the shoreline in Fairfield county is likely to cost much.
Another possibility is Norwalk & Stratford- not as upscale as Fairfield- but still with nice neighborhoods that are certainly affordable.

Fairfield is certainly pleasant- with a great center- many very nice neighborhoods and is next to Westport (just to the west) but less $$$ for real estate.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,967 times
Thank you for responding so quickly. You are a blessing. I will absolutely look into the areas you suggested. It seems the schools are fairly on par with one another. I just want to find the right fit in terms of neighborhood feel. Kelly

Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Kelly - The Town of Fairfield is a wonderful place to raise a family. It has excellent schools and a lot of family activities. There is a nice walkable downtown area and most everything you would need is nearby. Fairfield is a somewhat diverse community with homes ranging from modest apartments to mansions, so finding people that share your interests should not be too difficult. Keep in mind that Connecticut is a bit reserve so do not expect people to come running when you move in. The best way to meet people is to get out and join things that interest you. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut