Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times

Advertisements

I was born in NYC and raised here and all my family is here, so I'm biased.

Are many, MANY people who love living in the GNL area - DO talk with the relo people, they are truly your best resource. There are some great areas near work for you - talk to your counterparts in Groton or NL to get a sense of that. I did live in New England in college and loved it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 18,418 times
Default Good area, not company saturated???

I want to know a good area to buy so that if(when) Pfizer shuts down in Groton, it won't be so heavily saturated with Pfizer people that I can't sell my house without a buyout. Any ideas? On 4th relo, 2nd time we knew we were stuck with a house that may take forever to sell (since there are already 6+ for sale on our street). Not to mention the terrific economy at this time!

Last edited by forcedtorelocateagain; 02-14-2007 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,205 times
It all depends on what part of what town you live in. Norwich has great schools, the high school here is a "Blue Ribbon School", has its own Museum (one of a handful in the entire country), and pulls in students from 13 surrounding towns. There is also a very good Catholic school in Uncasville, St. Bernard Academy/High School. I am an alumni of that school, we had around a 98% college acceptance rate. The only school district I'd stay away from is New London. This part of the state is a great place to raise a family.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM

64 posts, read 193,293 times
I'm staying in STL. Things are just too good here to move (except for the ice storms), the salary increase and COLA just doesnt compensate for the change in lifestyle. Good luck to you who are relocating

Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times
Indecisive

actually NYC has milder winters then St. Louis as does Groton- why? Oceanic influence- the Atlantic moderates the climate in winter and summer-Groton and NYC are a USA zone 7- St. Louis a zone 6. Also Groton has a median home price of about 265K- NYC is 520K big difference. While more then St. Louis- I think that SE CT is a great place to live.

In the latest winter onslaught- All of Connecticut got no more then 5" of snow- Groton got half that. Plus you have the ocean nearby- great beaches in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Boston is less then 1.5 hours away- As much as St. Louis is a great city- simply put-what you will find in New England- is well frankly far better.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-16-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 18,418 times
Default Stay in STL & Ledyard schools???

I'm with you...wish we never would have left STL in the first place. Now, we are finding it hard to get back. I think people don't understand how great STL is. Options galore in housing, great schools, affordable and fun. Plus, how can you beat those Cards?! Good luck and best wishes with your decision not to relocate.

Anyway, can anyone give me an opinion on Ledyard schools? I heard that it wasn't a bad commute to Groton and a nice area too. Seems to be a lot of new construction also...

Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM

29 posts, read 89,102 times
Default LeavingMI2

I am in the process of joining my husband in Connecticut as well. I have been searching the schools for a LONG time now. When I talk to people in Connecticut the East Lyme schools get great reviews. I have been told to stay away from Clinton. We also live in a great school district (Grand Blanc) and I am having a hard time with this transition. If you go to the school matters website you can get information. One thing I look for, and I know this is not "politically correct" but I work in a school so I do know, is to look for the number of students receiving free and reduced lunch. The lower, the better in terms of discipline issue and school atmospher. Sorry, but it's true.

Maybe we can start a "MiniMichigan" group in Connecticut!

Christine

Old 03-31-2007, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 28,463 times
I have been in Groton for over 30 years. I went through the Groton schools from start to finish. My daughter is now in 7th grade, attending the same middle school I did. She loves it and so did I! She actually went to the local Catholic school from Pre-K 4 through 5th grade. She switched to public school because the Catholic school was not worth the big bill. The public schools have more to offer. My daughter is a high honors student and is involved in sports and clubs. And to correct Skytrekker, Pfizer did lay off a ton of employees at their Groton and New London sites, my husband being one of them. I am sure you can imagine how frustrating it is to see the large number of Pfizer employees relocating to Groton and New London. My husband wasn't even offered a different position in the company. The locals are not happy about this. Anyway, I love Groton. I moved to Georgia for 5 years and return to Groton to raise my family. Feel free to e-mail me privately for more positive info, I enjoy promoting Groton!!!!
Sharlene

Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I was born in Manhattan, and have lived here for most of my life. So I don't think I'm a good judge...

I live close enough to work to walk, but if you have children school is a BIG issue. Unless you're able to get an apartment in a decent school district, it'd be private school that you'd be looking at. And that is IF the children have taken tests (the ERBs) and you have a LOT of money - $20K/year for private school is not unusual - and it goes up as the grades increase. And that's IF your child gets in. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but I think you'll have an easier time in Groton/New London.

Real estate in Manhattan hasn't taken the hit that homes in other areas of the country have, so prices for apartments are high. They're just not increasing in price as fast as they used to.

Have you checked with the relo people? They're still your best bet. Best of luck with your move and your decision.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 28,463 times
hello Skytrekker,
FYI-Pfizer did lay off at it's Groton site. My husband got laid off a week before Christmas along with many others. There are more lay offs for the Groton site in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut