Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times

Advertisements

I beg to differ on the premise that West Hartford is fast paced 'like LI or NY'
In all the years I have lived in the Hartford area- and visited this town (WH) Since about 1970- it strikes me as being a pleasant New England small city- with a relaxed attitude and a sophisticated populace.

Also lets try and keep the thread with a modicum of good taste- posts that are off topic or have personal attacks invites a moderator to make changes.

Lets try and refrain from making harsh or negative stereotypes / generalizations about any group of people.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-03-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
What pray tell is the "New England" "Yankee" wannabe contingent? I've never even heard this term before. Is this how some people label flatlanders that move to New England from other regions of the country? It's a hilarious description if that is the case.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM

The New England or 'Connecticut Yankee' is an old description of the original settlers and their decendents here that dates back to 1635- they are supposedly taciturn, cheap, reserved & stuffy. Another term for those of 'lower economic standing' may be called a 'Swamp Yankee'.

Its all in fun really- remember the states song is 'Yankee Doodle' and the I 84 freeway from the NY line to Hartford is called the 'Yankee Expressway'.

If anyone typifies the Connecticut Yankee it is Famous native Katherine Hepburn.

None of this has to do with the Baseball team in NY.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM

94 posts, read 161,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
None of this has to do with the Baseball team in NY.
Obviously it does, or it wouldn't BE THE NAME OF THE TEAM. I only use the term Yankee in the context of whether or not you are a northerner, particularly in the east. The Yankees called themselves that because New York is the unofficial capital of the northeast. And they wanted a somewhat patriotic name.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 PM

94 posts, read 161,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
it strikes me as being a pleasant New England small city- with a relaxed attitude and a sophisticated populace.
Flat out, W.H. looks more like Chappaqua than Bar Harbor. New England is not as uniform as I believe you tend to think it is. In SW New England (CT) there are huge variations in the way people talk, dress, socialize, entertain, relax, work, and what their homes and cities look like. Not every town in New England has to fit this archetypal mold you seem to think it does. This is especially true in Conn, which is heavily influenced by it's neighbour: the LARGEST CITY IN THE UNITED STATES, NYC. Most of WH was built in the post-puritan New England era... as a suburb with many tudor, colonial, and dutch colonial homes. Granted, the area does have many remnants of the centuries past (Eastern NY has New England homes as well!), it is now the 21st century and some of us need to move on and stop holding on so dearly to fading tradition.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM

34,910 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Skytrekker is correct that the term "Yankee" has applied to people from Connecticut long before there was a baseball team by that name. Why a New York team is named that is beyond me but the reference to Connecticut or New England Yankees refers to hard-working, well educated, forward-thinking, frugal types that dominated the region.

Getting back to the OP's questions, West Hartford is a very diverse community. Skytrekker listed the many different types of nationalities that can be found there (there are also a lot of Italians). I think Memphismonkey's characterization of people there is boarding on insulting and is not a correct generalization. While I don't live there, I do know many people there (including a some that are Jewish) and none of them are anything like they described. Yes most are well off but not rich. Most are hard working and educated, but none are as obnoxious as described even those that are teenagers which are notorious for being that way.

Like any community there is a wide range of people that live in WH and you will need to get out and find those that you like. you can do this by joining into things that interest you or that would attract people that you would like to associate with. Good luck and welcome to CT. Jay

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM

34,910 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
Flat out, W.H. looks more like Chappaqua than Bar Harbor. New England is not as uniform as I believe you tend to think it is. In SW New England (CT) there are huge variations in the way people talk, dress, socialize, entertain, relax, work, and what their homes and cities look like. Not every town in New England has to fit this archetypal mold you seem to think it does. This is especially true in Conn, which is heavily influenced by it's neighbour: the LARGEST CITY IN THE UNITED STATES, NYC. Most of WH was built in the post-puritan New England era... as a suburb with many tudor, colonial, and dutch colonial homes. Granted, the area does have many remnants of the centuries past (Eastern NY has New England homes as well!), it is now the 21st century and some of us need to move on and stop holding on so dearly to fading tradition.
West Hartford doesn't look like Chappaqua. West Hartford is a first-tier somewhat urban suburb of a major city. Older homes on small lots with sidewalk and tree lined streets. Chappaqua is a lot more rural in character located 45 minute from New York and is in Westchester county not on Long Island.

Actually West Hartford looks a lot like the suburbs of Boston. Many of West hartford's homes were designed by Boston area architects so there is definitely a connection to that New England city. It reminds me of Newton in many ways. I know people from West Hartford that moved to Newton because it reminded them of West Hartford. Jay

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 AM

The House form and culture of the 6 New England states remains distinctive to this day- and it is what truly makes us unique and separates us from NY and the rest of the country.

Thankfully our leaders have maintained this idea- and have not allowed the region to become a hodgepodge of leap frogging urban sprawl, or allowed zoning patterns that have changed the unique settlement design that dates make from the early 17th century.

New England has maintained its architectural uniqueness, the design of its cities and towns, and its restrictive zoning to preserve its historical heritage. This tradition has not 'faded' in the late 20th and early 21st centuries- but fortunately has been even further enhanced, protected by intelligent leaders working together with land use planners that prohibits bad zoning and limiting the development and construction of undesirable 'house forms'-both residential and commercial that does not blend into the regional character. Many realize that one of the Main draws to New England is its 'New England Character'- which many people vacation here for or decide to take up permanent residency to live the special 'New England way of life'.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-04-2008 at 04:42 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
This one is for the flat landers in the audience. The origins of the name "Yankee".

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Thank you for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut