Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,030,048 times

Advertisements

Current market value is around 160K- my taxes are based on the October 2006 re -assessment, when the real estate market peaked here- and the last unit sold at the time of the reevaluation was 177K. They do a tax reevaluation here every 5 years. The 2001 reevaluation had the unit market price at 99K- so I paid on that till 2006- and it was under $2000 a year. Real estate here can really soar in value- and you can make money- but like the west coast we go through 'bust periods' and right now we are seeing prices decline.

Autos are considered 'personal property here as are RV's and motorcycles and taxed.

The Saturn would be about $100 a year on average- the Tacoma around $300
as vehicles age- the tax goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 AM

575 posts, read 3,133,541 times
It depends on the town, it varys greatly. The car tax is standard and not a luxury tax. it is taxed as "property", the same thing with boats, campers, and other types of vehicles (anything that requires to be registered). An average 2000 sq. ft. newer home would average about 5-6K in taxes a year.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,936,247 times
Thanks again for the help. The way I'm looking at it, we'd be about the same (financially) as here in Texas. Housing is definitely a little more expensive there but we won't be buying right away. Anybody want to buy a house in Texas? Maybe we can do a house swap...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,030,048 times
The International Skating Center of Connecticut - Home Page

in Farmington- I hope peaks your interest! Its about 20-25 miles to the west of Vernon.

I am impressed by your family members accomplishment- we would feel very proud to have you here- did you know Mark Warner- former Governor and Senate candidate in VA is a graduate of Rockville HS here in Vernon?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The International Skating Center of Connecticut - Home Page

in Farmington- I hope peaks your interest! Its about 20-25 miles to the west of Vernon.

I am impressed by your family members accomplishment- we would feel very proud to have you here- did you know Mark Warner- former Governor and Senate candidate in VA is a graduate of Rockville HS here in Vernon?

Thanks skytrekker. Yes the skating center definitely catches my eye. I didn't know who Mark Warner was but I'll check him out!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It helps a great deal skytrekker, thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what is your home valued at? Our house is an average middle class home in the suburbs of Fort Worth and is valued at 147K (2000 square foot) and our property taxes are about 4K per year.

I've never heard of cars being taxed. Is it considered a luxury tax or something?

I have a 2003 tacoma and my wife has a 2000 Saturn; I wonder how much they would tax those.
Sky for some reason has what many would consider "low" taxes.

My modest ranch home is $5200 a year in property taxes. My client I just left in Glastonbury yesterday is paying $7200 a year on a 30 year old "smallish" modest Gambrial (sp?) colonial.

There is also a levy coming from the MDC for a water treatment plant in Hartford to the tune of about $400 a year per household in the MDC district. (Most of the Hartford region)

We have some of the highest property taxes in the nation. Just make a thread on property tax or have look on Zillow (It's at least 95% accurate) and see what you get.

You can expect probably $400 a year on the Tacoma and maybe $200 a year on the Saturn. That's a guess as I have no idea what the town will value them at.

We also have the highest gasoline tax in the nation. Right now about $0.26 per gallon.

There are also numerous "state fees" you will get nickled and dimed to death on.

Electricity will be a huge shock for you coming from TX as will insurance cost for health, home and vehicle. (Unless you are on the coast of TX!)

Edit: This thread just popped up after I typed this. LOL

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ectricity.html

If you have to hire services, be prepared for much higher costs also. (I.E. Plumber, Electrician etc)

Just be prepared for things...CT can be a great place to live but it's not cheap to live here. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being upfront or realistic.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info JVielo. Since we won't be buying a home right away, we'll be able to defer the property tax cost. What does the average electric bill run?

My electric bill in the summer here runs around 160/month, which is when it's highest.

I've heard that heating oil was very expensive in the Northeast, but did not know if electricity was high as well.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM

Funny that you mentioned energy costs; the company that I hope to be working for is an energy company. No, not Exxon or Mobile, but one that is looking into forms of cheaper, alternative energy.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Generally town taxes pay for the services the town provides. The biggest expense among these is schools which are mostly very good to excellent. There is rarely a need to send your kids to private schools here.

As for car taxes, the towns use a vehicle's Kelly Blue Book value to determine taxes. Each town has a mill rate (the amount per $1000 assessed value charged) which they use to calculate taxes. Assessed value is 70% of the vehicle's KBB value.

Also note that you do not pay taxes on clothing under $50 here. Jay

Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Keep in mind that you get what you pay for.
HA! If that was the case I'd be a happy guy!

If the town mowed my lawn it would probably cost $5000 a month...

P.S. What if I don't want to pay? Do I still have too? I mean, no kids in the public school system, no sewer, no water...I have to fight to get pot holes filled etc. I want a credit damn it! Or I could be happy that I pay $520 a month for garbage collection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut