Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times

Advertisements

Well, from my experience, Bridgeport and Hartford are the most dangerous.

What do you think, though? Any personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 17,489 times
Well Hartford Connecticut being the the murder capital and Bridgeport's streets and housing projects are just down right scary and dangerous but you can't forget about New Haven A.K.A money gravin New Haven the gun packing city capital of the U.S. according to survey's. All i Know is that we need help the streets became a war zone wide open drug dealers on every corner every block hundreds of them sitting on the walls outside housing projects people getting robbed shot stabbed in braud day light while there's thousand of witnesses who just turn the head the other way please help Connecticut streets have been over takin over by thugs,mobsters,killers,gangs and curupt police officer's and just look at Ganan the mayor of Bridgeport serving F.E.D. time for orginize crime connections and Connecticut's governer who's serving F.E.D. time for the same charges yea we have a chance

Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
Rowlands out of jail homes

Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Rowlands out of jail homes
And landed a job working for the state making close to six figures.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
he works for the City of Waterbury in charge of economic development. His love for the Brass and his educational background more than qualifies him for his salary.

besides, somebody gave him a jacuzzi, its just a bathtub.

a little different but its just my opinion, feel me?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
he works for the City of Waterbury in charge of economic development. His love for the Brass and his educational background more than qualifies him for his salary.

"feel me"? LOL

But Rowland's crimes were more than "just a bathtub".

Impeachment process and Federal case

In the first year of Rowland's third term, rumors began circulating that contractors doing business with the state paid for and made improvements to his weekend cottage, that he benefited improperly from the sale of a condominium in Washington, D.C. at an inflated price, that he took gifts from subordinates in state government, and that he took partial ownership in businesses immediately before they were granted state contracts. These eventually led to federal investigations and then indictments of some of Rowland's close aides, who then cooperated with federal investigators.
Rumors continued that the investigation was building a case against Rowland himself; Rowland publicly denied the allegations.
However, in December 2003, Rowland abruptly appeared on television and admitted that work had been done by contractors on his cottage at no charge, and that his earlier statements to the contrary were untrue. Matters were exacerbated when his wife, Patty Rowland, wrote a satirical poem deriding the media for investigating her husband's admitted wrongdoing.[8]
He claimed that since the work was done he had paid the contractors in full, but in January 2004, an official investigation began into charges of corruption, and whether he should face impeachment.
On April 30, a the impeachment process. On June 18, the Connecticut Supreme Court required Rowland to appear before the investigative panel seeking his testimony, which could have resulted in him giving evidence against impeachment in the ongoing criminal investigation. On June 21, Rowland's lawyers announced that he would resign. The resignation went into effect at noon on July 1.

Further investigations

Investigations by Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and by a state legislative committee concerning several separate possible improprieties by him and associates, ensued after Rowland's resignation: (see link for details)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Rowland

Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I feel super uncomfortable in Hartford and New Haven's blighted neighborhoods. For some reason, Bridgeports' neighborhoods do not give me such an "uneasy" sense. I'm unsure why that is--but I feel safer in Bridgeport, usually. Bridgeports' 'hoods are just as blighted as many in New Haven and Hartford, but for me, they feel safer overall.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I feel super uncomfortable in Hartford and New Haven's blighted neighborhoods. For some reason, Bridgeports' neighborhoods do not give me such an "uneasy" sense. I'm unsure why that is--but I feel safer in Bridgeport, usually. Bridgeports' 'hoods are just as blighted as many in New Haven and Hartford, but for me, they feel safer overall.
Until a few years ago, I probably would have said Bridgeport's Father Pannick Village was the worst place in the state. Now those housing projects are gone, and since then that neighborhood and the city overall has picked up a bit. There's still some high-crime areas here to avoid, but if the housing market improves this city has the potential to improve tremendously. As the rest of Fairfield County gets more costly and ex-Manhattanites leave the city in search of cheaper housing, they may consider Bridgeport. If this happens, expect huge changes in the next 10 years. It's close to New York, and it's one of the few remaining places in the county that's still affordable.

Hartford, on the other hand, only seems to get worse. The area known as the North End is easily one the state's worst areas, even during the day. Sad but true. I drove through Keney Park once to get a feel for the golf course and I didn't feel safe - and this was on the Windsor side. There are things that have happened in that park that would make people's skin crawl if they heard about it. I avoid this area and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Until a few years ago, I probably would have said Bridgeport's Father Pannick Village was the worst place in the state. Now those housing projects are gone, and since then that neighborhood and the city overall has picked up a bit. There's still some high-crime areas here to avoid, but if the housing market improves this city has the potential to improve tremendously. As the rest of Fairfield County gets more costly and ex-Manhattanites leave the city in search of cheaper housing, they may consider Bridgeport. If this happens, expect huge changes in the next 10 years. It's close to New York, and it's one of the few remaining places in the county that's still affordable.

Hartford, on the other hand, only seems to get worse. The area known as the North End is easily one the state's worst areas, even during the day. Sad but true. I drove through Keney Park once to get a feel for the golf course and I didn't feel safe - and this was on the Windsor side. There are things that have happened in that park that would make people's skin crawl if they heard about it. I avoid this area and encourage everyone else to do the same.
Really? I've never been to that part of Hartford. Most of my time has been spent in and around Hartford Hospital and on Wethersfield. These areas are super sketchy, blighted, and rough. Too bad the Hartford Hospital growth and development doesn't spill into the neighborhood right there.

As for Bridgeport, I think it has so much potential. Right now, there's a bargain basement sale on real estate!!! If I had an "extra" $100k, I'd snag a house...

Old 10-31-2008, 02:37 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

I feel ya, lol. Or maybe I don't. Andthentherewere3 posted exactly what I was planning to post once someone claimed it was "just a hot tub." Just because he's loyal to the city of Waterbury doesn't mean he's best for the people of CT. I think he's just the opposite! Many politicians are this way and Rowland did his time (and was made an example of), but that doesn't change the facts.

That's like a chain having an employee arrested for stealing money, but offering them a job at another of the chain's locations once they serve their time. There's nothing right about that. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut