Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
And you trust the greedy crooked corporations & their CEO's with huge compensation packages? Are they going to look to look out for us any worse then the 'Gubmint'> Hardly.

Jay makes the appropriate assertions on the states high quality of life.
You assume too much. I don't trust "greedy crooked corperations" Do you think all corperations are greedy and crooked? Personally, I don't get all worked up about someones compensation, that's not my business. And unless you are a shareholder, it's not yours either. I don't expect them to look out for me either. Why are you looking for someone to "look out" for you?

And no the gubmint does not "provide" for us. It's that thinking that has gotten so far off track and leaving our country a mess for our kids. Waiting for mother country to provide for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
I think the mindset over the last 35 years has been to blame government for all the ills of society- while praising corporations as having 'Godlike Qualities'. Remember this; If not for Government we would have no USDA, no Social Security, no VA, no medicare, among other entities that have helped Americans. All these programs and more where brought about by progressive legislation.

Corporations in the last 30 plus years have become bloated by their special interest lobbyists who have unprecedented power; by greedy shareholders; and by the likes of Health Care Insurance CEO's making over 100 million dollars a year living in 'lots of land luxury', when many Americans go without affordable or decent health care.

It might be said that these things go in cycles- and the era of Corporations having so much power and influence may be on the wane- and Government will become important again in providing the needed additional safeguards to protect many Americans from the uncertainties of a changing world and economy.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Corporations in the last 30 plus years have become bloated by their special interest lobbyists who have unprecedented power; by greedy shareholders; and by the likes of Health Care Insurance CEO's making over 100 million dollars a year living in 'lots of land luxury,' when many Americans go without affordable or decent health care.
Also, when corporations don't earn a profit (Ford, GM), they don't pay any Federal income taxes. They are even allowed to roll forward some of the losses to the next year if that year proves profitable in order to reduce or eliminate taxes for a second year.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I think the mindset over the last 35 years has been to blame government for all the ills of society- while praising corporations as having 'Godlike Qualities'. Remember this; If not for Government we would have no USDA, no Social Security, no VA, no medicare, among other entities that have helped Americans. All these programs and more where brought about by progressive legislation.

Corporations in the last 30 plus years have become bloated by their special interest lobbyists who have unprecedented power; by greedy shareholders; and by the likes of Health Care Insurance CEO's making over 100 million dollars a year living in 'lots of land luxury', when many Americans go without affordable or decent health care.

It might be said that these things go in cycles- and the era of Corporations having so much power and influence may be on the wane- and Government will become important again in providing the needed additional safeguards to protect many Americans from the uncertainties of a changing world and economy.

I think the mindset over the last 35 years has been to rely on the government for everything and demonize any business or individual that makes more money than you. Don't obsess over what other people make and you'll live longer.

I don't know anyone who "praises a corporation as having godlike qualities", do you?

You list off these gubmint agencies as if they were gifts! And are you kidding with SS??? They spent it! There is no money left! They spent everything we sent them. Now our kids are going to have to pay dearly to continue to fund this leaking, failing, bottomless pit. It is estimated that there will be 1 SS recipient for every two payers. Do you realize how much our kids will have to come up with to pay for this "gift" from your godlike gubmint? Then if that's not enough, our gubmint is about to give the world free healthcare, another grand gift from our caretakers inside the beltway. that will end up taking what little our kids had left.

Yep, you're right, our gubmint has given us so much. And they are about to give our kids even more.

Why don't you take the last word and lock this thread because you've continued to contribute to hijacking it.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Also, when corporations don't earn a profit (Ford, GM), they don't pay any Federal income taxes. They are even allowed to roll forward some of the losses to the next year if that year proves profitable in order to reduce or eliminate taxes for a second year.

Corporations never pay any federal income tax, you pay them. So that means every time some godlike savior from DC makes you feel better by taxing away those profits from those big bad corporations, they just raised your taxes. Pretty slick huh?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 28,064 times
Default Ahhhh Connecticut

Connecticut like most places has it's up and downs

Pros:
Lots of green and scenery
Historical
Lots to do
Travel time is not that bad (ask anyone in new england how long it takes to get somewhere and it's always an hour to an hour and a half)
Lots of hunting and fishing
No tornados, wild-fires, mudslides
Funny lingo (i.e wicked, dude, jimmies, <----those are sprinkles)
cost of living is good
richest state in the nation
Houses are good price for the land and space you get (unlike CA where you pay 850,000 and get really nothing)

Cons:
The winter (the cold is dry and hits your bones, the first snow fall is awesome but after that it is dirty snow and sticks)
The cities are not as bright and colorful as other cities. Most buildings were built a wicked long time ago
The people are rude, but were not fake like other parts of the country.
BUGS

That's all i can think of right now, this is a generalization. I know i will get 50 post about the rude comment. I lived in connecticut for 20 years and spent 4 years in cali. and traveled to 30 states and now i'm back in connecticut. visit if you wanna move here try it out for a bit.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Quote:

First - I am certainly not defending what these CEO's make. I personally think they are all overpaid for what they do. However, your comment about americans going without healthcare?? I'm not sure how that ties into what a CEO at a healthcare corp makes? Why aren't you complaining about what the CEO's at other non-health insurance related companies make?? Remember, the health insurance companies don't determine what benefits get paid out, the employer selects the plan and the benefit options, not the health insurance company.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I think the mindset over the last 35 years has been to rely on the government for everything and demonize any business or individual that makes more money than you. Don't obsess over what other people make and you'll live longer.

I don't know anyone who "praises a corporation as having godlike qualities", do you?

You list off these gubmint agencies as if they were gifts! And are you kidding with SS??? They spent it! There is no money left! They spent everything we sent them. Now our kids are going to have to pay dearly to continue to fund this leaking, failing, bottomless pit. It is estimated that there will be 1 SS recipient for every two payers. Do you realize how much our kids will have to come up with to pay for this "gift" from your godlike gubmint? Then if that's not enough, our gubmint is about to give the world free healthcare, another grand gift from our caretakers inside the beltway. that will end up taking what little our kids had left.

Yep, you're right, our gubmint has given us so much. And they are about to give our kids even more.

Why don't you take the last word and lock this thread because you've continued to contribute to hijacking it.
OMG! I've found you, my long lost brother! LOL

Great post, couldn't really add another word. Well said.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 200,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW_ENGLANDAH View Post
jimmies, <----those are sprinkles)
actually, when I was a kid I used to call sprinkles shots. when I was in Florida one February vacation I went to an ice cream shop and asked for shots on my ice cream. from referring to them as shots they knew I was from CT. lol.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uctalum01 View Post
actually, when I was a kid I used to call sprinkles shots. when I was in Florida one February vacation I went to an ice cream shop and asked for shots on my ice cream. from referring to them as shots they knew I was from CT. lol.
Funny lingo Yup - cuhppa yougaht with chawcolit shots

I'll have a cuhppa ahinge jahce (ahinge = 1 syllable)

lets go don to the cahnah and watch the cahs drive by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut