Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM

24 posts, read 67,286 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As I wrote in a previous thread my wife and I will move to Connecticut in October. Our moving has been confirmed and our E-2 visa application is on going.

I have a question that can sound weird but I'm sure your answers will be helpful.

Here in Paris I work as a Consultant for PriceWaterhouseCoopers which is a US company. I go to work everyday with a dark suit and a tie like every employees.

I have had my first interview in Paris with the US CFO of the company who was here on a business trip. I came with my usual suit and tie and he seemed to be surprised of such a dress code!!

So is there a specific dress code for "white collar" in the US or more specifically in CT (Wilton). Do they used to wear suits or not?

Damien
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
It will vary by company, but most companies now have what they call "business casual" as a standard dress code here in the US. So a nice shirt, slacks and nice shoes are all you need in most cases. You will get a feel for what people dress like at the company when you start working. For example where I work, I typically wear a shirt and slacks. If I am presenting or meeting with some vendors, I may throw on a tie or jacket. If its a day that I have no meetings, I may throw on a short sleeved polo type shirt and slacks. I find that many people here wear jeans on Fridays. So even in an official "business casual" environment it really varies somewhat. Just don't show up on your first day in shorts and flip flops and I'm sure you will be fine!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 AM

235 posts, read 783,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamsConnecticut View Post
Hi,

As I wrote in a previous thread my wife and I will move to Connecticut in October. Our moving has been confirmed and our E-2 visa application is on going.

I have a question that can sound weird but I'm sure your answers will be helpful.

Here in Paris I work as a Consultant for PriceWaterhouseCoopers which is a US company. I go to work everyday with a dark suit and a tie like every employees.

I have had my first interview in Paris with the US CFO of the company who was here on a business trip. I came with my usual suit and tie and he seemed to be surprised of such a dress code!!

So is there a specific dress code for "white collar" in the US or more specifically in CT (Wilton). Do they used to wear suits or not?

Damien
Damien,

I work in Wilton, having moved here from Hong Kong where office dress codes are formal (suit & tie), 5 days a week. None of my colleagues dress that way over here, including the CEO. The norm is business casual (shirts with long sleeves and open collar) with short sleeves in the summer. I do see people occasionally wearing collared T shirts on a Friday. PWC may vary a bit, but probably not by much. There are a few multinationals in the nearby buildings like AIG & GE Capital, which also follow the dress code I mentioned.
Once exception - we are required to wear formal attire for meetings with other organizations, or when a client is visiting. So don't give away your suits just yet !

One question - Have PWC opened a new office in Wilton? I always thought their CT office was in Stamford?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 67,286 times
Thanks for answer, it helps!!!! I will keep my suit and buy slacks ;-)

Nish2006 I have resigned from PwC after 3 years. I will start in another company in Wilton by the end of October

Damien (who will keep its flips flop for the we!!!)

Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Agree...really varies by industry/location/client meeting, etc...

Most CT (and Manhattan) hedge fund guys dress casually (dress slacks, french cuff dress shirt, no tie, and a sport jacket), much like SiliconValley venture capitalists/tech executives....

But, in Manhattan, nearly all investment bankers and private equity guys dress in suit and tie....

Net, net, almost no one who matters wears a tie in Greenwich or SiliconValley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut