Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 141,803 times

Advertisements

Having a very hard time finding a place that we're happy with. Our #1 choice right now is Julia Day Nursery in Ansonia. I've looked at just about all of them that are affordable. Anyone have any suggestions, 'stay away' froms, etc? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
Our son is just entering Prendergast Elementary School in Ansonia after two amazing years at Julia Day. They are a little disorganized at the beginning of the year typically with the new children, but they are amazing! They realize that all kids are not cookie-cutter and have individual needs/personalities. And the price is right for what they provide - includes breakfast, lunch, and snack daily. The only down side is that they close at 5:30, so if you are looking for a full day program, it can be tough to get there on time. But honestly, I would highly recommend the program. Also, check out Ansonia School Readiness through the town if you are an Ansonia resident. But truly, we have nothing but good things to say about Julia Day! Our son loves it and will be going to their after-school program. He is very sad that he won't be going there all the time - even thought they do have an accredited kindergarten program that is pretty small. They are really an amazing bunch of people! We had no idea how lucky we were to get in without having to wait.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 PM

20 posts, read 46,899 times
There is a GREAT preschool at Christ Church in Oxford about 10 min from Nolan Field in Ansonia. We couldn't be happier with them.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM

Thank you for the replies!

Glad to hear a positive firsthand experience of Julia Day. There is a waiting list now for this year but I think we're going to go ahead and put him on it. Worst case scenario is he doesn't go until next fall and only does 1 year of preschool. That would be ok, he loves the home daycare he's in now. The 5:30pm close isn't an issue for us, I get out of work at 4pm. Do you happen to know if they have afterschool transport from Bradley School in Derby? I hadn't thought that far ahead but I know I'm not happy with the afterschool Y program. (I see them with the kids on the playground...not good.)

Oxford is the opposite direction for me, unfortunately! We live in Derby and work in Trumbull and Bridgeport.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,980 times
They don't have transportation from any schools other than Prendergast. The bus to/from Prendergast actually does a stop at Julia Day in the morning and the afternoon.

What do you see at the Y playground? I was thinking that would have to be an option once he is out of Prendergast - but I'm not even sure if we will keep him in Ansonia schools beyond 2nd grade... we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
Thank you for the replies!

Glad to hear a positive firsthand experience of Julia Day. There is a waiting list now for this year but I think we're going to go ahead and put him on it. Worst case scenario is he doesn't go until next fall and only does 1 year of preschool. That would be ok, he loves the home daycare he's in now. The 5:30pm close isn't an issue for us, I get out of work at 4pm. Do you happen to know if they have afterschool transport from Bradley School in Derby? I hadn't thought that far ahead but I know I'm not happy with the afterschool Y program. (I see them with the kids on the playground...not good.)

Oxford is the opposite direction for me, unfortunately! We live in Derby and work in Trumbull and Bridgeport.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM

We're in Derby so what I'm seeing is the afterschool Y program at Bradley Elementary. Can't tell you what Prendergast's program is like. But at Bradley there are a couple dozen kids, 1 older lady and 1 younger woman (college aged). The kids are rude and disrespectful to the 'leaders'. When I'm there with my 3 yo after work playing on the playground the older lady often 'loses' one of the kids, she has too many to keep track of. Sometimes I've even said 'He's over there' or 'She went behind the building there'. It's ridiculous. And I've been there when they've all been screaming at each other (the older lady and the kids). That time I called the Y and made a report. Told them if it happened again I'd call the state. I can't say that it's all the Ys fault; some of these kids are really obnoxious. *I've* had to speak to them about their behavior on a couple of occasions; they've been WAY too rough with a little one playing out there with them.

We've waitlisted my son at Julia Day. We'll just wait until we get in there. And then he'll be in full-day K at Bradley the year after next. When he starts K I'm going to try to change my work hours to pick him up at school or off the bus and eliminate an afterschool program at all. Perhaps I'll even do after-school care for some of my friend's kids and make it work well for us all around.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM

49 posts, read 271,351 times
We had our son at St. Lawrence PreK by the Huntington Green, which was wonderful. Don't know the cost nowadays. It maybe more costly than private PreK's, but class size was small and they gave fantastic detail and care to ready them for Kindergarten. There is also a PreK at St. Joseph's Church (in downtown Shelton), with a larger class size. If I recall correctly, the cost may have been slightly cheaper than at St. Lawrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut