Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 AM

139 posts, read 617,770 times

Advertisements

Hi Ct residents! I live in E. Hampton, CT and am looking for a good alarm company. Funny, I have interviewed a few and all were trying to sell me on getting cameras with night vision, etc. I wake up this morning to find things out of place in front of my house (garbage can in the middle of the lawn) items (lawn ornaments) moved. My family and I were laughing how IRONIC this is just days after they are trying to sell me cameras. No one else in the complex had this problem and my neighbors all seem nice and I am very open and anyone can come to me if there is a problem. So moving on to another question---who agrees this could be the alarm company? I had a friend who told me she used to date a man who had an alarm co. and he used to drive by with the "master" and set off alarms just so he could have a service call. What these alarm companies will do to get business, I tell ya! Anyway, ADT? SONITROL? BRINKS? who do you like???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
We have ADT and have been pleased with the service. The system was easy to learn and meets our needs. We have doors and windows on sensors and a motion sensor setup. Once you do find a company, make sure you register your alarm with your town's police department.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info Amy!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,879 times
I heard ADT was really good. Unfortunately, I don't have an alarm system. I do recommend ADT from what I've heard and reviews from other customers.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM

202 posts, read 704,504 times
I am not in your area, but I have ADT also. We have never had the alarm go off except accidentally, but they were very good about calling immediately and asking for our password. We have window and door sensors and two motion detectors. I'd use them again if I had to alarm another house. (Besides, I was told that the well-known ADT sign is a deterrent to criminals--the joke is that the alarm system itself is free, you just pay for the signs!)

Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,673 times
I am curious to know how "necessary" an alarm is? We are relocating to CT from CA, and the house we bought has an alarm, which is an entirely new thing for us. I hate to be naive, but the house is on a nice country road with other houses in sight, but not right next door which is what we are used to. Is it just a good idea in general nowadays, or is standard practice in CT or? We like to think we are getting away from bigger city issues, but of course I realize that no where is picture perfect. Just wondering what you all thought.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM

HI Dougnaie, in my opinion, I would get the alarm. CT is great. I lived in NYC for many years and in various parts from childhood, and into adulthood I lived in Westchester in many different areas. When I lived in a "shady" area and did not have an alarm, people did try to break in but my doors and windows had great locks (window bolts etc.) Then I lived in a very "nice" area in westchester for 8 years and never had a problem. I am of the mindset it's better to be safe then sorry. I am in a country like setting myself with a LOW crime rate. I guess the choice is up to you. I have heard of people buying the ADT stickers and signs on ebay and using those instead of hooking up the system. I wish you luck in your decision.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM

Hi AIBUTIEJ! What do you think of the motion sensors? I don't know if they would work for me. I am a light sleeper so I end up getting up during the night. They would have to be in strategic places for me to have them.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
ADT or Brinks are both reputable. My biggest problem with alarm companies is that they start charging you for tripping your alarm by accident.

Incidentally, a survey of crooks in jail was done - specifically on those who were in for B&E/burglary - of what would deter them from robbing a house (gun in the house, alarm, fence, etc).

The biggest deterrence was...a dog.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
With motion sensors, there are two options; an AWAY feature and a STAY feature. If you're in the house, you use STAY, essentially the motion sensor is off. If you are out of the house, you use AWAY and the motion sensor(s) is on.

Also, just for cost info, we are billed on a quarterly basis and pay $120 per quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut