Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 AM

18 posts, read 43,375 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise anything to newcomers to CT? We were looking into relocating here from NJ by next spring/summer. Looking for nice places around Mystic or maybe more west. But not too far from the ocean.

We have 2 little kids, so good schools are very important! Also in need of friendly neighbors.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM

65 posts, read 251,660 times
Avoid Mystic if good schools are important (part of Groton school district). Set your sights on Madison, Guilford, and Branford. These towns are still on the water and have renowned school systems.

My favorite is Madison. It's right out of a picture book. Madison has Hammonasset Beach in town which is quite nice. Madison also has a beautiful downtown. I don't think you'll go wrong in any of the towns I mentioned though.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM

66 posts, read 217,121 times
I agree re: Madison, Guilford, Branford. These towns have a lot to offer. The schools in Madison and Guilford are ranked high, there is a lot to do, and the neighborhoods are great - very friendly. There are newcomer clubs in each town -- very welcoming.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 PM

131 posts, read 479,381 times
We are about to move to Stratford CT. What tipped the balance for us and made us decide to move there was the day we spent at the Stratford Festival. We were just amazed at how friendly and welcoming every single person was that we spoke with. I realise the schools are not the highest scoring in CT, Fairfield for example scores higher and is still on the coastline. But we are very comfortable with our decision, and can't wait to actually move in. We are relocating from the Bronx.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Congrats! Its tough to find a place you can call home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesy68 View Post
We are about to move to Stratford CT. What tipped the balance for us and made us decide to move there was the day we spent at the Stratford Festival. We were just amazed at how friendly and welcoming every single person was that we spoke with. I realise the schools are not the highest scoring in CT, Fairfield for example scores higher and is still on the coastline. But we are very comfortable with our decision, and can't wait to actually move in. We are relocating from the Bronx.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstetinin View Post
I agree re: Madison, Guilford, Branford. These towns have a lot to offer. The schools in Madison and Guilford are ranked high, there is a lot to do, and the neighborhoods are great - very friendly. There are newcomer clubs in each town -- very welcoming.
I checked out the schools on www.greatschools.net and there were some posts by parents for Madison and Guilford schools. Well, the posts refer to staff not being friendly, and not open to parent's participation. Is it true? I mean, the info was posted in 2004. Is it still like that?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
A recent graduate of Daniel Hand High School (Madison) explained to me that there had been a group of parents acting as ringleaders who effectively strong-armed the public teachers and administrators whose job it is to run the school system. The result, he said, was a sort of manufactured success. The school system pushes the kids to surpass the standards of the state as much as possible. The unintended consequence of the parental strong-arming is that people are tired of being bossed around by pushy parents. In the end, though, the kids get a good education and are prepared for college.

I graduated from Guilford in 1997. Guilford did not push the kids so much, and the students who were talented (academically or otherwise) received lots of encouragement, support, instruction, or whatever they needed to explore their talents. On the whole -- and this is my opinion -- the school system is not as uptight as Madison's, and its graduates are equally successful.

As with other schools in the region, if a specific curricular need is unmet (for instance, your kid wants to learn Gaelic), some students arrange to take individual courses at Yale.

If the school systems are unreceptive to parents' well-intended suggestions, it's probably because there are lots of well-meaning parents suggesting things. There are a few teachers and administrators in every town who just aren't friendly people. As a whole, I found the teachers to be excellent.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM

42 posts, read 150,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesy68 View Post
Great move Weezy.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
As with other schools in the region, if a specific curricular need is unmet (for instance, your kid wants to learn Gaelic), some students arrange to take individual courses at Yale.

If the school systems are unreceptive to parents' well-intended suggestions, it's probably because there are lots of well-meaning parents suggesting things. There are a few teachers and administrators in every town who just aren't friendly people. As a whole, I found the teachers to be excellent.
Thank you for a great reply! It really helped!

How about people in those towns, are they receptive to transplants? We are looking for friendly neighbours.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 AM

12 posts, read 40,801 times
You may also want to look into Old Lyme if you like smaller town. They have great schools (but full day kindergarten which I don't like personally) and have nice town beaches-for the sound. I'm more of an ocean person That being said, if I lived closer to the sound, I'd be there constantly over a pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut