Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,930,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
You guys!!!

How I wish I had found this forum before I moved to IN!!!!!

I don't know if I should thank you guys right now or scream at you for providing me with all this fab info. on the area!

Truly, I am absolutely homesick! Can't wait to get out of this crappy place.
I am in Lafayette and this place is all about Purdue Univ. So, basically if you are not a student or somehow involved with Purdue you can essentially kiss any social life goodbye!

Sky you nailed it! People are definitely "nice(r)" but man are they weird? No disrespect but sometimes I talk to the people here and it's as if they have no clue as to what I am talking about. It's literally like living in the twilight zone. You feel like you are living in a 1950's sitcom. While that sort of life has it's good points...but they just need to get on with the times...you know what I mean?

J,

Thanks for all the links. I am going to go check them out right now.

thanks again both.
LOL My ex-wife was from semi-rural Illinois (Not Chicaaaago) and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...that's why she's the ex. We could just never overcome the cultural differences. LOL

No problem on the info...You are actually helping ME remember how much I love my home...sometimes the grass starts to look greener and you need a wake up slap.

P.S. When you get out here, you HAVE to get pile of their FAMOUS wings at the Bidwell Tavern. (few hundred year old place with the feel that a hobbit is going to jump out from behind the bar - local music on the weekends and a nice big pot belly stove radiating in the middle. 20 different kinds of wings and 1,000 different types of beer.) In fact I think I'll head down tonight...anyone else?

http://www.nearhome.com/needfoodnow/ct/uconnstorrs/bidwell/Pbidwell012.jpg (broken link)
http://www.nearhome.com/needfoodnow/ct/uconnstorrs/bidwell/Pbidwell007.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JViello; 02-03-2007 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,731,083 times
I'm headed to Meriden very shortly. A new establishment has just started carrying NTN Trivia.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,094 times
Default Waterbury is beautiful!

I can't believe the posts about Waterbury. I moved here from New Rochelle, NY a little less than two years ago and I absolutely love Waterbury. It is very convenient for commuters for being right on the intersection of I-84 and Route 8. There are all the big stores as well as some very nice small ones. The people that I have met are all very nice. My neighboors actually know me and my family. They came to my door when we moved in and they brought us flowers and chocolate. I've lived in many other places and that never happen before. My street is a tree lined one and all the houses are very nice and very well kept. Of course like every town some parts are nicer than others. Before moving here I looked into Bridgeport, Stratford and Danbury and here is much better. We are also much happier here than we were in NY.

Ann

Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post

I am looking at Waterbury as a possible move from Indiana. Could anyone please comment on this place? Most of what I am reading is negative. Are there ANY GOOD things about Waterbury that should make this an ideal place to live in?
Any information about the cost of living, diversity, crime, close proximity to bigger cities and an overall feeling of this area would be appreciated.

Thanks
i live here in waterbury the school systems are terrible nothing but drugs and gangs ,and low test scores

living here can just be depressing because of the fact that its a dump

but its cheap and you can score some dope

Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 PM

148 posts, read 736,016 times
Well for all it's worth, I appreciate Wtby for it's affordability and proximity to Litchfield County. I actually recently decided to focus my condo search to Wtby because it seems to be the only place that's affordable to me and close to my job in Watertown. Sure it has it's down sides, but what town doesn't?! Where else could one find a condo with 2beds, 1.5 baths, AND a garage for $100k!!...and it's NOT foreclosure, bank owned, or in a "shady" area!!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:47 PM

575 posts, read 3,123,825 times
Waterbury is affordable to many, and the outter areas are not bad compared towards the center core of the city. The same condo in one of Waterbury's suburbs (Cheshire, Southington, Middlebury) would easlily cost double that

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM

this is true

Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM

36 posts, read 283,545 times
I live here in southbury for the past 8 years at my elderly mother's condo in heritage village. but with her getting sick and having moved to an assisted living place in newtown and the condo soon to be sold , I ,a 45 year transgender woman whose main source of income is an SSDI gov check, even though I'm slowly trying to get my home based e-bay business going online; can not afford to stay here in CT [ even if I wanted to] . everybody at my mattituck unitarian church in woodbury says to me " why not stay here in connecticut where you've got your family and friends? they've got many affordable little apartments over in WATERBURY! YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THAT , AS YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN THAT WE CAN'T ALL HAVE EVERYTHING." this of course coming from people whom live in huge glass houses [ actually yuppie homes on 2 acre lots in southbury/woodbury ] and themselves; talk about how they are for diversity and all, BUT WOULD NEVER LIVE IN WATERBURY! [ well one or two do, not sure where] .

but everything negative said in here about waterbury [ actually any CT city except ritzy stamford and the residential yuppie half of danbury] IS TRUE FOR ME! THAT PLACE SIMPLY DEPRESSES ME JUST TO DRIVE THROUGH IT! and more to say, I briefly lived there [ long before my MTF transition] at 222 bradley ave in what is now " bradley gardens apts." [ then " villa sol de or" garbage-place LOL ] , in a 12x13 foot " efficiency" apt. which was then $375/month rent. [ danbury then was at least $500-600 for the same thing] THE AREA IS WHAT THEY CALL " TOWN PLOT" LITERALLY THE " CREME DE LA CREME" OF WATERBURY, CT! ; as in suburban and well; not to be predjudiced, but then and still 95% white and mostly old, close-knit, italian families. the exception then was the disgusting villas owned by a moslem slumlord named mazhar whom since fixed them all up nice {with $6.50 hour immigrant workers} and yes, raised the rents to over $800 for a 1 BR!

what is said about the CAR TAXES HERE IN CONNECTICUT IS TRUE! this is another reason that I could never afford to stay here , in southbury and still semi-rural bethlehem; they are bad enough! BUT IN WATERBURY ?? THEY ARE THREE TIMES WHAT SOUTHBURY'S MILL RATE IS , THIS BASED ON " PERSONAL" PROPERTY TAX/REAL ESTATE TAX MILL RATES! also , though waterbury has the most "diversity" around here [ in the worst neighborhoods ONLY like the mostly african american "north end" and mostly hispanic "south end" ] OVERALL IT IS STILL BASICALLY THE " CATHOLIC BIBLE-BELT" LOL [ not a good place for a transsexual woman , really ] for a city of over 108,000 in " liberal connecticut" ; as an extreme N.O.W. FEMINIST-lesbian, I can say that they still DO NOT HAVE A WOMEN'S CLINIC WHICH PERFORMS LEGAL ABORTIONS! [ danbury, maybe 90,000 now- has at least two! so does new haven-along with more culture and true " diversity" as in GLBT ]

in my financial position, I can not afford to do much as far as culture goes! personally , I like southbury not for the people here[ snobby and cold like much of western CT ] but the hiking trails and low crime rate. and as far as waterbury goes? they've got the seven angels theatre and the recently-refurbished PALACE THEATRE, but most of the " cultural offerings" seem to cater toward the "old italian-irish-polish CATHOLIC crowd whom go to mass every sunday and say their rosary every night". [ not to " *****s" like me, that's for sure! ]

BUT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYTHING NEGATIVE SAID HERE ABOUT WATERBURY , THERE IS ONE THING POSITIVE. THEY NOW HAVE AN AWESOME GAY/LESBIAN [ GLBT] BAR CALLED "FLETCHERS" ON [ SLOWLY IMPROVING ] DOWNTOWN'S REFURBISHED EAST MAIN STREET! beers and twisted teas are still around $3.75 or $4.00 and the owner is really super cool with that small town style hospitality not found in any new york city greenwich village-chelsea GLBT bar except for the " girly bar" called rubyfruit!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM

I don't know you from the next jamoke on here and I don't mean to be rude, but maybe if you got a job you could afford to live here.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:56 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,930,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
I don't know you from the next jamoke on here and I don't mean to be rude, but maybe if you got a job you could afford to live here.
Okay, I'll be the rude one and say I agree.

The only thing the government owes you is to keep your butt safe and free to pursue life liberty and happiness. The rest is up to you.

Instead of blaming the people in that church as if they owe you something, do something for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut