Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 39,595 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Connecticut for a job in southern Wilton (almost Norwalk). The towns we have been considering arer Bethel, Newtown, Brookfield, and Monroe. Can anyone give their impression of these towns and the commutes, particularly Monroe. We were able to visit Bethel, Newtown and Brookfield and have a good idea of the commute. What about Monroe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM

72 posts, read 356,063 times
Bethel will have the lower taxes and you will probably get more house for your money there than the others. Monroe may be comparable in some ways, but the shortest commute is Bethel, going the "back" way Rte53/107.

Brookfield has Candlewood Lake which is one of the most picturesque lakes in the Northeast, but no downtown like Bethel. I am biased a little, but that's why I'm a Bethel resident. (We are also renovating our high school.)

All the towns you mentioned are great places, I like having the metro-north line in Bethel. I'm not sure, but it might even stop in Wilton. Does anyone else know that answer?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,951 times
It is nice to 'see you' back on the forum, kbtrent. As I recall, you were looking for an affordable (under $400k) that is fairly close to Wilton. I am wondering what you thought about Bethel, Newtown and Brookfield when you came up here from California. What did you like and not like about the towns?

Monroe is the town I know least with. If I had any clients (I'm an real estate agent in Danbury) that are interesting in living there, I would have to refer them to a colleague in my brokerage's Monroe office so they would get the right the information about the town because if I started to talk about it, I would make a fool out myself. You will be looking at about a 45 minute commute, depending on traffic on the Merritt Parkway (CT-15).

As you can tell from your trip east, Bethel, Brookfield and Newtown are not-so small towns close to Wilton. Bethel and Newtown do have quaint little downtown areas . Bethel and Brookfield are the most convenient to the shopping in Danbury, but Newtown does has plans for a lot of big box stores and strip malls planned along Route 25. Brookfield does have some 'big box' stores on the southern part of Federal Road and has Candlewood Lake.

Newtown does have the highest taxes among the three towns. I do not know what other town follows it because I have that file on my computer at my real estate office and I am at home now, so I will get that cleared up tomorrow.

Jon

Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM

You can take the train from Bethel to Wilton.The station in Wilton is the off of rt 33 and the intersection of RT 7. It is a 25 minute trip.

Last edited by jdhall1; 01-17-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,365 times
Default Newtown not the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrent View Post
We are thinking of moving to Connecticut for a job in southern Wilton (almost Norwalk). The towns we have been considering arer Bethel, Newtown, Brookfield, and Monroe. Can anyone give their impression of these towns and the commutes, particularly Monroe. We were able to visit Bethel, Newtown and Brookfield and have a good idea of the commute. What about Monroe?
While a picturesque town Newtown is becoming unlivable....Skyrocketing taxes...the "Stripmallization" of Rt 25...The debacle at "Fairfield Hills" ( ask about that one) BIG issues around a new High School and questionable practices in education. Bethel IMO would be a better choice. Me? I am getting ready to leave Newtown. Just not worth the grief.
Spiritwalker

Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 39,595 times
Default Trip to CT

Well, I really liked Bethel's downtown. We spent a bit of time there Saturday evening, stopped in the coffee shop, walked around. WE also checked out Walnut hill Church and enjoyed that on Sunday. Newtown appears to have better schools, but it does seem just slightly. We really liked one of the houses we saw in Brookfield, but I really did not like Federal Road. It took us 5 lights to make a left to get on the highway, and that was on a Saturday. I can't imagine what that is like during commute time. I spent most of the day Friday looking around Newtown with a realtor. I would like to know more about some of the issues the Newtown resident was speaking of and the big box stores coming in. We have looked into the train line, but it stops at the other end of Wilton from where my husband would be working.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM

222 posts, read 855,145 times
If you need to get on I-84 from Brookfield, you do not need to pass through five lights. You can get on the Super 7 at the end, if you live on the other side of route 7. If you live on the lake side, you just go down Candlewood lake Road.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Bethel does have a little downtown. I had a business luncheon at today there and it was very nice. I can not discuss what school systems are 'the best' but overall as a state, CT does have a very high gradaution rate of high school students and good SAT scores.

Federal Road (the Kohls and Costco end) is a lot worse on the weekends than how it is on weekdays because the stores are quiet then. That is too bad that the train would not work out but in most cases it is faster to drive than take the train.
Newtown does have the highest mill rate (27.3), but I think they are in the process of reassessing now. Brookfield just reassassed to 24.58, up from 24.3 so it wasn't that large on an increase. Bethel is also in the reassement process but currently 26.58 mills.

There is going be to close to 400,000 square feet of retail space from route 25 that is going to be built over the next 2 or 3 years. I'm surpised your real estate agent didn't tell you that because it will impact the quality of life. I always tell my clients about it that are from outside the area that are considering living in Newtown.I think it is going to be much like Federal Road. I did have a website about it, but I can not find it at this moment.

If you have any other questions about the area, don't be afraid to ask

Jon

Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 PM

150 posts, read 799,335 times
Wilton has three train stations; Wilton, Cannondale and Route Seven on the Norwalk Border. Check out those schedules before writing off using the train.

We lived in Weston for seven years and Wilton for six. Wilton was my favorite of the two, with excellent schools, but it is pricey. If I were to move back, I'd consider Bethel very seriously, as well as Newtown. Newtown is more rural and very horsey.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 AM

93 posts, read 394,400 times
jdhall:

To get from Monroe to northern Norwalk/southern Wilton would take no more than 20-25 minutes via the Merritt. I make the commute daily and rarely hit traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut