U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 51,379 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends:

I'd like your opinion: what's quiet, affordable, with beach rights and close to Manhattan?

My wife and I are thinking ahead a few years to retirement. Here are our dream requirements:

We want to be close to the City (Manhattan). By close I mean a two hour commute on Metro. An hour and a half would be even better.

We'd love a place with beach rights or good public beaches.

We don't want a huge piece of property to take care of. A three bedroom, 1500 sq ft home, (even a one level mid century ranch) would be perfect.

No depressed towns.

I hate driving. Hate it. So a quieter town with less congestion is better than a traffic nightmare.

Here's a tough one: I'd like to stay at 400K or under, with of course, property taxes that are at 5K or under (HA.)

Thank you, experts. I'm eager to hear if you think I might be able to come close on my wish list.

Thom in PDX
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 PM

8,778 posts, read 18,130,648 times
The closest town that would fit that budget is West Haven. It will be over 1.5hrs. from NYC. I seriously doubt you will find 1500 sq.ft. w/beach rights for under 5K taxes.

So yes, it's a tall order.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 51,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The closest town that would fit that budget is West Haven. It will be over 1.5hrs. from NYC. I seriously doubt you will find 1500 sq.ft. w/beach rights for under 5K taxes.

So yes, it's a tall order.
Thank you.

Like most wish lists, you start with the ideal and make compromises.

So, West Haven is the closest town.

Any others?

Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 PM

420 posts, read 1,087,765 times
Honestly, I think Connecticut is the wrong place to look for your requirements. Its near impossible to find everything you want for under 400K, especially by the beach. Connecticut in general is a very affluent state, with high home prices and taxes. West Haven is arguably not a nice town, and as you stated above, you don't want any depressed towns, WH is very comparable to this.

Try perhaps Northern New Jersey, or Southern New York.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM

4,445 posts, read 9,450,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbray View Post
Hi Friends:

I'd like your opinion: what's quiet, affordable, with beach rights and close to Manhattan?

My wife and I are thinking ahead a few years to retirement. Here are our dream requirements:

We want to be close to the City (Manhattan). By close I mean a two hour commute on Metro. An hour and a half would be even better.

We don't want a huge piece of property to take care of. A three bedroom, 1500 sq ft home, (even a one level mid century ranch) would be perfect.

No depressed towns.

I hate driving. Hate it. So a quieter town with less congestion is better than a traffic nightmare.

Here's a tough one: I'd like to stay at 400K or under, with of course, property taxes that are at 5K or under (HA.)

Thank you, experts. I'm eager to hear if you think I might be able to come close on my wish list.

Thom in PDX
You might want to look at Clinton and Westbrook. I know a few people who go into Manhattan once or twice a week and take the train (shoreline east). Both towns are kind of funky little beach towns that are about 90 to 120 min from Manhattan on the train. In fact, next year, they are supposed to rebuild the Westbrook train station. Price wise you may be able to get a small cottage near Route 1 for about $400,000 or so. Also, both towns are very close to Hammonasset State Beach in Madison – a 2.5 mile long beach (the largest in Connecticut).

I would look at the on-line mls or call a Realtor in the area. The cold season (November to March) is a great time to look for a house, as there is less activity and some people will accept any offer…especially in this market.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 AM

54 posts, read 129,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbray View Post
Hi Friends:

No depressed towns.

Thom in PDX
We just bought a cute and updated beach condo in Branford for under $400k. Its close to marinas, beaches, downtown, plenty of great restaurants and a five minute drive from the Shoreline East train, which you would take to New Haven and switch over to Metro North. There are plenty of retirement communities near us too. I think CT is perfect for you...NJ has a lot of traffic and really is not much cheaper than CT. Plus NJ has higher taxes.

Direct message me if you would like more info. Best of luck.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM

49 posts, read 178,770 times
Branford is a very neat little beach town. I have friends there. I agree with pemeek.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 AM

30,764 posts, read 48,329,106 times
I would look in Fairfield. It is a little over an hour from New York City on Metro North, has several public beaches and offers modest homes in your price range. Be aware though that the homes in your price range will not be near the beach but will be a short drive away. Jay

Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 11,116,001 times
Have you looked at Madison, CT? It might be a bit *too expensive* now, but you might be able to find a deal here or there, since the real estate market is weak now. Madison is quaint, charming, and has a wonderful little downtown evoking 1950s or so and "beachy"...it's about an hour and 45 mins-2 hrs from the city. It's worth a look anyway. Best of luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM

20 posts, read 44,359 times
We live on Swan Lake in Oxford and it's a neighborhood of lake cottages and a few new colonial type houses. It is convenient to major highways like Route 8, 84 and the Merit Parkway and there is a train station 4 miles away in Seymour to take you to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut