Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM

834 posts, read 2,277,471 times

Advertisements

I know it's rude to ask about money but I'm really trying to plan for us to move from VA to CT within the next year or two and I really need to know what to plan for. I read a lot of different answers on the board and I'm still unsure of a lot of things. So if you don't mind answering, it would sure be a great help to me! If you only care to answer one or two questions, that's fine too!

Approximately where do you live? (county, city, town)
How big is your home?
What are your property taxes on that home?
What kind of heat do you have? (oil, gas propane)
How much is it to heat your home in the winter?
How much is your electric bill in the summer?
How much is your Homeowner's insurance monthly or yearly?
How much is your auto insurance?

Besides property taxes and heating, are there any other expenses that you think a person moving to CT should know about? This is besides the car tax because I pay that here in VA too. While annoying, it's not really a big expense like property taxes and heating are.

To give you a perspective, here are my answers.

My house is 1800 square feet and we have 2 acres.
Our property taxes are $2100 a year
We have electric heat and our average bill in winter is $300 and the worst bill for summer is usually $350.
Our homeowner's insurance is $88 a month
our auto insurance for one 2005 ford escape is $90 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,226 times
My house is 1300 sq ft, on 1/3 of an acre, but private, property taxes are expensive depending on the area, ours are about 3k a year, but that can go much higher, a home we looked at that only cost 250k was 4k a year.

oil heat about the same price,

as far as insurance, if you dm me, i can give you some detailed info, cause insurance is what I do, and depends on a lot of factors, like age, vehicle, mileage, but I can give you an idea of the better companies.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Your property tax will be about tripled in Ct. Your energy bill may be lower if you do without air conditioning since then you will only have to heat about 5 mos. of the year. I assume you've already checked house prices in your desired town. A nice house on 2 acres could be pretty pricey.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 AM

834 posts, read 2,277,471 times
oh I should add that we are looking around the Hartford area, either Tolland county or northwest Hartford around Granby. At least that's what we are considering now. So far it seems Hartford area prices are very similar to where I am here outside Richmond,VA. It's the property taxes that floor me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut