Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 AM

15 posts, read 65,639 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am wondering if there is tons of humidity in this region? I am originally from CA (SF Bay Area) where there is no humidity at all besides morning fog. It never gets hot. I moved to Upstate NY for a year and just about died in the sweltering humidity. I had to plant myself in front of fans and the A/C. I have asthma pretty bad so it didn't help.

I moved back out west to CO which the altitude is severely affecting my health and lungs. CA is in current economic collapse, fires, droughts, etc... So I was considering moving back East. I was wondering how the coastal CT area is regarding humid seasons in comparison to Upstate NY.

I also have a son who is 2 so needing good preschools and elementary schools will be a must for the future as well.

Also how long does a typical humid season last in CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,960,218 times
Connecticut public schools by in large are among the best in the nation- so I feel the needs for your children can me met without much difficulty here.

As for climate- the northwestern part of CT has a humid continental climate like upstate NY, though considerably less cold in the winter, with hotter summers. The hot weather in the summer many times will be accompanied by elevated levels of humidity- that will last longer then Upstate NY- but less then areas south of New York City. Winters will be milder with less intense cold and snowfall.

The area of CT from the I 84 line south-extending from southwest CT near Danbury to the northeast near Putnam at the Rhode Island border has a Humid subtropical climate- meaning milder winters then northwestern CT- with summers that are prone to high levels of humidity- although at times the nearby Long Island sound and Atlantic provide some relief from the heat, with a sea breeze- especially in extreme south eastern CT- and coastal southern CT. Winters are milder then northwestern CT-with less snow and temperatures below 5 degrees uncommon.

The weather here will resemble the balmy climate conditions temperture wise of the SF bay area from late August till late November on average- and mid April to mid June.

Humid weather in Connecticut lasts from late June to mid August. But there can be days of pleasant low level humidity.
This year saw warm to hot conditions with higher humidity from mid June throughout July- August has only seen me run the central air a few days- this past week, and looking forward sees daytime highs around 80 with low humidity and 60 over night.

A recap of the climate here from Wikipedia

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. The average yearly snowfall is about 25–100" (64–254 cm) across the state, with higher totals in the northwest. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-28-2008 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
Hi

I am wondering if there is tons of humidity in this region? I am originally from CA (SF Bay Area) where there is no humidity at all besides morning fog. It never gets hot. I moved to Upstate NY for a year and just about died in the sweltering humidity. I had to plant myself in front of fans and the A/C. I have asthma pretty bad so it didn't help.

I moved back out west to CO which the altitude is severely affecting my health and lungs. CA is in current economic collapse, fires, droughts, etc... So I was considering moving back East. I was wondering how the coastal CT area is regarding humid seasons in comparison to Upstate NY.

I also have a son who is 2 so needing good preschools and elementary schools will be a must for the future as well.

Also how long does a typical humid season last in CT?
As someone who lives along the Connecticut coast (and is always looking at weather data) – let me just add two things…

Northern/Western New York receives far more snowfall (with a much longer snow season) than the coastal Connecticut or Long Island area.

For instance, Albany or Syracuse, NY…. receive about 65 to 95 - inches of snowfall each winter (on average). Coastal Connecticut (Stamford, New Haven, New London areas) only receive about 20 to 25 inches of snow each winter. The warm Sound/Atlantic Ocean also insures that the snowcover is quite brief. So coastal Connecticut is not exactly the place for snowlovers (lol).

I only mention this, because I’ve run into several CA and AZ transplants who actually seem disappointed that coastal Connecticut/NYC/Long Island, receive only a modest amount of snow each winter. If you’re expecting that steady 75- inch snow fall year in year out like Upstate NY or New England…you’ll be disappointed big time. Last year we received only 13.7 inches of snow all winter here at the New London Airport. If you ski…plan on driving a lot.

Also, as skytrekker above rightly pointed out –southern Connecticut south to around Delaware or so….is the rough line of the Temperate/Subtropical climate zones. As such, although the typical summer season of June, July, August is the most humid…moving very close to the ocean and furthur south - means humidity more often and year round. As a resident of the coast - I can tell you that it is a bit of a myth that only summers along the coast are humid. There are plenty of days in the cold season (December to March) that a wet and damp feel to them. Unlike Northern New York…it rains often in southern Connecticut in winter. As you know – cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warmer air can. So it can really feel damp and wet along the coast when it’s raining and 44 F. Of course it’s not as uncomfortable as a humid 95 F July day. This year the humidity was not too bad at all be East Coast standards. In fact, it looks as though September may have more humid days than August this year, with the coming pattern change this weekend.

The upside of this ….of course winters are much milder in southern Connecticut and Long Island than up in northern New York or New England. If you hate cold and snow…you’re moving in the right direction. If you hate humidity…you may be moving in the wrong direction (lol).

Good Luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,915,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkitten View Post
I moved to Upstate NY for a year and just about died in the sweltering humidity. I had to plant myself in front of fans and the A/C.
If you thought upstate NY Summers were oppressive (A lot of people GO THERE for a Summer escape.) then don't move here.

You'd probably do better in Utah or NM or Northern AZ.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 40,697 times
It is humid. I think if you are on the short by the ocean (not in CT) the breeze off the water makes the humidity more bearable, but then you don't have the snow.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 PM

170 posts, read 645,876 times
Humidity anywhere in CT is pretty bad, I used to play on a traveling soccer team and during our summer sessions we had like 3 hour practices and even within the first half hour I felt like I couldn't breathe because the air was so thick and humid. It does make the winters more comfortable though, you don't get dry skin like you do in the West (when I first moved out to Albuquerque my lips got so chapped because I wasn't used to the dry winter). However I think if you found upstate NY to be bad, don't come to CT because I believe it's even worse. It is said that with the humidity index that the East coast has hotter summers than the West and West coast (meaning taking humidity and temperature into account).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut