Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 15,751 times

Advertisements

MLS ID in Oxford is MLS ID#: W1036974. It's a bit cheaper than we thought. There were 2 postings next to each other that were the same house. One for 629 and another for 599. Not much of a price difference, but it's better.

It says 3 bedrooms plus an office, so it can be four. I love the front porch and New England look to it. I'm tired of the stucco out here in SoCal.

I am shocked by the poster who said he didn't want to move to Oxford because of the lower prices homes in the surrounding communities. That is so ignorant, I'm sorry. Out here in CA, mansions are neighbors with slums. Everyone lives in harmony. (I'm not calling the "Valley" slums, but I'm making a point.)

MY husband has been in contact with his new boss who lives in Oxford. We asked him all of our questions. I will paste his email in here.

"Hey Mitch and Kara!

I hear you're looking in Oxford. It's a great town. My kids went through the school system (before Oxford had their own high school, they shared with neighboring towns). They both graduated from Masuk High in Monroe after going to grade school in Oxford. They are both now at Boston College. The schools here are very good, but not diverse at all. About 98% of students are white. First school is Quaker Farms Elementary for K-2. Next is Oxford Center School for grades 3-5, then Great Oak Middle for grades 6-8. Opening in September is the new Oxford High School. I hear the sports program is going to be wonderful (a member of the South West Conference with Danbury area communities).

We live in an older development from the 1980's, but there are a lot of kids. The new homes they're building are huge and cost dearly, but it's still cheaper than living in Darien or New Canaan, where we looked 7 years ago when we moved here.

If you like to golf, the town just put in a new 55+ residential community/golf course called Village at Oxford Greens. It's upscale, with the small homes costing around $600,000. It's the largest 55+ community in Connecticut and is said to be among the most professional courses in the Northeast.

Shopping varies. It depends on where in Oxford you live. If you live in southern or eastern Oxford, Trumbull Mall is probably closest. If you live in western Oxford, Danbury Fair Mall is closest. Northern Oxford, Brass Mill Center in Waterbury.

FYI-in the past 5 years, the value of my home has gone up dramatically. Buying a house here is a very smart thing because once the high school is done, we're told prices will skyrocket. The town is also building a library, senior center and teen center.

Don't expect too much shopping in Oxford. A developer attempted to build an attractive "downtown" area for Oxford with upscale shops, but the town turned the other way. Commercial development isn't welcomed here, and "bix-box retailers don't belong" is the mindset of many residents.

Good luck with your home search and have a safe trip out here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcrowsflyeast View Post
rich,..west,....good posts..and informative

I see plenty of value in a new 3500-4000sq ft, 3 car garage, 3 acres home in oxford....it's hard to look past these magnificent homes for 700-800k ...you don't have to go that far away oxford and the price doubles for the same thing

the town and area just isn't upscale enough for me to want to bring my family there and go to public schools, not to mention the commute to where you would prolly work from living there
Within my company's in-state network, we have three offices in South Central Connecticut that serve high-end buyers: Madison, Cheshire, and Oxford. I've never known anyone to discount Oxford. After looking at the MLS, I don't see that much of a difference from prices of new construction in Southbury. Buyers who choose Oxford have similar job opportunities and commutes as those from Monroe--its neighbor to the west. I'm not sure why you bring up "not to mention the commute to where you would probably work..."?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell2360 View Post
MLS ID in Oxford is MLS ID#: W1036974. It's a bit cheaper than we thought. There were 2 postings next to each other that were the same house. One for 629 and another for 599. Not much of a price difference, but it's better.
I found it. Were you able to see all five (5) photos?

Quote:
I am shocked by the poster who said he didn't want to move to Oxford because of the lower prices homes in the surrounding communities.
Did you catch the write-up on the property: "ONE OF A KIND ESTATE IN PRESTIGIOUS OXFORD. 1.6-ACRE SPREAD INCLUDING MAIN HOUSE4BRCENTER HALL COLONIAL W/ 2-CAR GARAGE,A 65X80 COMMERCIAL QUALITY GARAGE WITH 2 ATTACHED APTS. 1 5-RM 3-BED AND 1 4- RM 2-BED. THIS IS A VERY UNIQUE PIECE."

Quote:
MY husband has been in contact with his new boss who lives in Oxford. We asked him all of our questions. I will paste his email in here.

"Hey Mitch and Kara!

I hear you're looking in Oxford. It's a great town.

If you like to golf, the town just put in a new 55+ residential community/golf course called Village at Oxford Greens. It's upscale, with the small homes costing around $600,000. It's the largest 55+ community in Connecticut and is said to be among the most professional courses in the Northeast.
Ironically, an agent from my office just sold her house in Cheshire to move to this complex. That's about the price she paid, too.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM

We looked at some photos of the house. I know it has an in-law setup, my hubby's mom is moving with us so this will be perfect. It's a bit of a fixer-upper but my husband is very handy and planning to do much of the work himself.

I think we've found our town.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Good luck on your trip east- I have been to Oxford, and it a very pleasant town to live- friendly people.

The town has reasonably quick access to New Haven for shopping and culture.
Hope the weather warms up a bit by next week!

Have fun in Connecticut.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:14 PM

26 posts, read 129,534 times
Very nice town. Lots of shopping close by. Short, easy commute to Shelton. People are great in CT!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,471 times
Hi, If you want friendly and down to earth people in areas with winding country roads-look in Litchfield County. I lived in Fairfield County for 20yrs and moved to Litchfield County about 10yrs ago. Its such an incredible change of pace. Towns like Morris, Litchfield, Bantam, Barkhamsted, Riverton, Hartland, Colebrook, Norfolk, Winchester (not winsted), Torringford (not torrington), washington, Thomaston, Northfield, Goshen, Harwinton, Cornwall and campville are the towns with long and winding country roads (some dirt-so be careful). There are more cows in some of these towns than people, and the schools really are good. I have a 5yr old with disabilities and is in the Regional 6 school system which has been GREAT. Good luck to you in your move!

Cari
carimoisan@optonline.net

Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. We are in NYC right now visiting family and went up to Connecticut the past few days. Your state is so beautiful. The Merritt Parkway was exactly what I thought CT highways were like. It's so tranquil and perfect.

We looked at a few homes in Oxford, all in the 500-600 range. The town is beautiful. The winding roads rolling along the hills, and the old colonial homes. White churches, mom and pop shops and friendly people make me really want to move here.

The one house we liked is close to downtown Southbury, but in Oxford. We got lunch at Leo's Cafe and spoke to some very pleasant local residents there (mostly moms with their kids). They said Oxford is a nice town but has become expensive recently. They also said Main Street in Southbury is basically a Main Street for people who live in Southbury, Oxford and Woodbury.

We also liked Easton, but status seems very important to people there and coming from CA, we want to stay away from that.

Going to walk around Manhattan now, then going back to Connecticut this afternoon to look more. More later!!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
Easton is more expensive than Oxford and Southbury since it is closer to NYC. Both Oxford and Southbury has gotten more expensive over recent years due to all of the new construction. Since you like Oxford and Southbury, you might want to check out Newtown. It is just across the river from Southbury and Oxford and has the same sort of feel as those two towns.

JH

Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 AM

We looked at Newtown, but Oxford seems to have a more "New England" feel. We spent a few hours driving around town and it's just beautiful. My husband really liked the old historic homes on CT-188 and I really like the fact that the high school is being built to add to the value of our home.

We also looked at Easton, but enjoyed the modesty of Oxford much more.

This seems like a family oriented town, but life here is so different. We were looking for a laid-back, relaxing community. Seems that, even as the town is more rural than urban, people are still always on the go. Downtown Southbury has a fast-pace. But it's the Northeast, I should expect that.

We do like Oxford, and are seriously considering moving here, but what are all the other towns similar to Oxford in the area. I know Southbury, Newtown, Monroe. Any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut