Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 AM

29 posts, read 103,358 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to CT. Job is in midtown. Out budget ~ 600K. Need single family house in good shape with good schools and 3 or more bedrooms. We have young kids. We are thinking lower Easton. How much time does traveling 7 miles from lower Easton to fairfield train station take? Also any other place we should be looking at? Also what kind of ethnic diversity exists in Easton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Easton is a beautiful small town (about 7,500 residents) with a rural residental character. Most homes are on larger lots (most of the town has 3 acre minimum zoning) and a lot of the town is reservoir and watershed property for the Bridgeport Hydraulic company (now called Aquarion). there are really no major commercial developments there, just a small general store, a gas station, a small restaurant and a couple of farm stands.

It will take about 15 to 30 minutes to get from Easton to the Fairfield train station depending on where you live. Note though that parking at Fairfield station is limited and difficult to get. You may need to travel to Bridgeport to catch the train. Fairfield's new station off Commerce Drive is under construction and is scheduled for completion in 2010. That station will have approximately 1500 spaces. I suggest you put your name on the list for parking with the Fairfield Parking Authority as soon as possible since these spaces are anticipated to go fast once they are completed. You can get more information on this on the Fairfield Town Web Site. Easton is about 5% minorities. I would initially look in Easton and Fairfield and expand to neighboring Trumbull if you can't find a home there. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc View Post
We are relocating to CT. Job is in midtown. Out budget ~ 600K. Need single family house in good shape with good schools and 3 or more bedrooms. We have young kids. We are thinking lower Easton. How much time does traveling 7 miles from lower Easton to fairfield train station take? Also any other place we should be looking at? Also what kind of ethnic diversity exists in Easton?
Jay pegged the time pretty well - 15-30 mins depending on location. Just to note on parking @ Fairfield, there are some daily spots in the station lot for $6, or there's the Knights of Columbus lot for $3, but both are filled (or nearly filled) by the 6:40 train. We got on the waiting list for a parking pass when we started house hunting in Jan 2007, and they estimate 4.5 more yrs until we can get our pass, even with the 1500 spaces opening up at the new station. Many people have a spouse that can drop them off - whether that spouse stays home or works locally.

One thing to note about Easton is that it's very nice with lots of open spaces and large lots, but depending on where you live it could take you a good 5-10+ minutes just to get to a store. That is something to keep in mind.

$600k can go pretty far, especially if you don't mind doing some updating on your own. Very few of the houses that I've seen in that range have structural problems - many are just dated.

All of the schools in Fairfield are excellent...no idea about Easton though.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM

184 posts, read 842,674 times
I was shopping Easton for real estate as recently as a few months ago. Saw some good deals in your price range. The parking lot on Mill Plain Road by the Fairfield station usually has spots well into the commuting hours, and is $6 a day.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Thanks all - Yes i am planning on the mrs dropping me off - she is going to drive to Stamford for work. Eventually i am also going to get into Greenwich or Stamford for work. Do they have scooter parking? I am a big scooter fan - in non-snow times do folks drive around in scooters?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Did the travel today for kicks and giggles and yeah i don't think after 75 minutes on train i can do another 20 to 30 minute travel. I am going to look for 5 minutes to train station. Would y'all buy townhomes in Fairfield? Also are schools around train station area any good?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The schools and neighborhoods near the train station are very good. Pretty much all of Fairfield is good. Jay

Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

184 posts, read 842,674 times
Yes and yes. Area near train station/town is extremely desirable. Schools too. I did buy a townhome in Fairfield due to that location and I consider it a very good buy (am not currrently living there, I found tenants in a heartbeat).

Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 PM

planning to go house hunting this weekend - exciting! Thanks All for helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut