Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
OH NO! Not those WASPS again! I though we snuffed them out in the name of diversity long ago!
Pretty much so. WASPs account for less than half of the white population since this is one of the most Catholic states. Come to think of it, WASPs are primarily located in the upper midwest.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 09-01-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 126,837 times
angel
what exactly does it mean "diverse female" and "very WASPY"

just trying to understand others, thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Default jv I think what is meant b too waspy but not sure as I wait on Angel to tell me

is that if its too white there might be better schools and less crime and as we know the "diverse" crowd isnt down with that.

I am not sure as I await her response to that racist statement she made.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,822 times
I am an Asian female and homemaker. My comment regarding WASPY was not meant to be racist but more so communicate that in my experiene and opinion, the CT Hartford county region seemed quite white anglo and not very accepting and sometimes rude to people of asian decent compared to my
D.C. experience.

I apologize if I had offended anyone.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 PM

thanks angel

Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 32,972 times
check out plainville(middle class) or southington. both great proximity to espn.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:21 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Considering the city of Hartford itself is 40% spanish, 30ish% black and about 30ish% white
This is not accurate, or at least it's potentially deceptive, because a sizeable proportion of the people who identify as "white" also identify as Latino.

Hispanic/Latino heritage and identity is a notoriously tricky thing to quantify in censuses, but the numbers given by Wikipedia (which are based at least in part on data given here) seem more plausible: 40% Latino, 38% black, 18% non-Hispanic white, with a small number of Asian and Native American folks.

This conforms with what I've been told by several people who work for social organizations in Hartford, who say that the sunny-sounding statistic that's sometimes quoted -- 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 Latino -- certainly is no longer true, if it ever was.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 53,230 times
JV... I was not meaning to come across as that my family is only looking to reside in a Korean town. My inquiry was mainly to see how difficult the adoption would be for my wife who is more ethnic Korean vs. I who is more Korean American. My wife is used to having a selection of Korean restaurants and large Korean supermarkets, Korean salon..video stores etc.. near by. She does not speak the english language very well so I wanted to guage how much of a culture shock she will go thru based on the move.

Thank you for your input.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH69 View Post
JV... I was not meaning to come across as that my family is only looking to reside in a Korean town. My inquiry was mainly to see how difficult the adoption would be for my wife who is more ethnic Korean vs. I who is more Korean American. My wife is used to having a selection of Korean restaurants and large Korean supermarkets, Korean salon..video stores etc.. near by. She does not speak the english language very well so I wanted to guage how much of a culture shock she will go thru based on the move.

Thank you for your input.
CH69

I know you're relocating to Hartford County but Woodbridge (an affluent town next to New Haven) has a large Asian population in addition to a sizable Jewish population. I am sure you would be comfortable there - and there is a ton of diversity in neighboring Westville (a section of New Haven.)

Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
This is not accurate, or at least it's potentially deceptive, because a sizeable proportion of the people who identify as "white" also identify as Latino.
You are absolutely correct. One can never take "White" + "Black" + "Hispanic" = x.

Hispanic is not mutually exclusive meaning that individuals can be 100 percent Hispanic, Hispanic/White, Hispanic/Black, or Hispanic/White/Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut