Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
Market forces are a result of market preferences, otherwise they would change. What else is there to say??
Exactly. The bottom line is the number of readers and listeners in the market seems to favor the Red Sox over the Yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Exactly. The bottom line is the number of readers and listeners in the market seems to favor the Red Sox over the Yankees.
...in the Greater Hartford area (the Courant's market)...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM

172 posts, read 577,835 times
seriously???
this again???

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
...in the Greater Hartford area (the Courant's market)...
Hartford...A slight edge...but the Yanks should still have a local beat writer.
They used to until recently...and really in many parts if not overall...it's close to even.

What I don't is New Haven.
Does anybody here regularly read the New Haven register?

How's their coverage...split...or do the Yanks get prority?
If the Yanks split it with the Sox...that really will upset me...because being 75 miles from NY...you got to be kidding if you think THAT market is more interested in Boston.

Again...why is it a city the size of NY has less a pull on CT despite it's size and proximity?
You'd think Boston was the city connected by metro north of 8 million.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:57 AM

Again, Connecticut is a New England state despite the NY influences along the Gold Coast and SW cities and towns. More people in CT identify with being a New Englander than a NYer. I do. I was born in New Britain and grew up in Simsbury and I've always considered myself a New Englander.

My cousin's husband used to be the Courant's Manager of the Advertising Dept. and he got laid off in a cost cutting move by the Courant. Circulation in the newspaper industry is down in most markets and serious cutbacks in personnel and cost cutting is taking place. The Red Sox have a stronger following in the Hartford area thus they warrant still having a beat writer while the Yankees don't.

To be honest I prefer NY to Boston as far as cities go but my opinion does not count in this matter. The media in the Hartford area is pretty independent and has the sense to cover the Red Sox more than the Yankees because their base readership favors the Red Sox. The Giants on the other hand probably have more fans in CT than the Patriots though I suspect the Patriots have picked up a few fans in recent years.

What you need to understand is the world of New England does not revolve around New York City. Your arrogance on this topic is growing wearisome and I think you are not apt to find any sympathy on this issue because you are belittling us for not bowing down and worshiping your city. In essence I am viewing this now as a matter where you don't like the fact that we are independent of NYC in many ways and you'd like to beat us into a line in order to conform with your standards. I've dealt with that same attitude in the Midwest and I don't like it, especially in Kansas City. They seem to expect me to conform with their lifestyle and behavior and as far as I am concerned they can drop dead. Conversely, I don't expect them to change for me and I more or less believe they should just do their thing and don't worry about whether I will goose step for them or not.

Your unwillingness to accept the fact that you are NOT in the NY area now and that media coverage and the lifestyle in most of CT is a bit different needs to change.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:

What you need to understand is the world of New England does not revolve around New York City. Your arrogance on this topic is growing wearisome and I think you are not apt to find any sympathy on this issue because you are belittling us for not bowing down and worshiping your city. In essence I am viewing this now as a matter where you don't like the fact that we are independent of NYC in many ways and you'd like to beat us into a line in order to conform with your standards.
Well said!!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
What you need to understand is the world of New England does not revolve around New York City. Your arrogance on this topic is growing wearisome and I think you are not apt to find any sympathy on this issue because you are belittling us for not bowing down and worshipping your city.
I wouldn't call is arrogance (though other adjectives do come to mind) when the split in Connecticut is close to 50/50.

Quote:
Your unwillingness to accept the fact that you are NOT in the NY area now and that media coverage and the lifestyle in most of CT is a bit different needs to change.
On the contrary, we (New Haven and Fairfield Counties) are in the New York Metropolitan census data area.

I do know how frustrating it can be when one regional sports network proclaims "Baseball night in New England" and they're not showing a Yankees game. Speaking of arrogance...

But in all seriousness, this isn't the place to gain support/voice frustration/change things. It has been debated again and again that residents of Connecticut favor New York and Boston teams with a greater concentration of NY fans in the southwest corner and Boston fans in the northeast corner. No one is arguing that.

It really is time to move on.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 09-06-2008 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM

I can't tell which part of CT he's in. From what I gather he's in the Hartford area and not on the Gold Coast or New Haven County. If he's in the SW part of the state why is he griping about the lack of coverage in the Courant?

I am aware that Fairfield County and New Haven County are part of the NYC metro area. But that is still considered part of New England and the New England culture, while watered down, still very much exists in that part of the state.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
I can't tell which part of CT he's in. From what I gather he's in the Hartford area and not on the Gold Coast or New Haven County. If he's in the SW part of the state why is he griping about the lack of coverage in the Courant?

I am aware that Fairfield County and New Haven County are part of the NYC metro area. But that is still considered part of New England and the New England culture, while watered down, still very much exists in that part of the state.
I think bluecountry lives in Tolland - not sure though.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:44 PM

172 posts, read 577,835 times
why does everyone keep answering him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut