Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie007 View Post
why does everyone keep answering him?
Best post on this thread.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I wouldn't call is arrogance (though other adjectives do come to mind) when the split in Connecticut is close to 50/50.

On the contrary, we (New Haven and Fairfield Counties) are in the New York Metropolitan census data area.

I do know how frustrating it can be when one regional sports network proclaims "Baseball night in New England" and they're not showing a Yankees game. Speaking of arrogance...
Exactly.
I am upset with the arrogance of Boston that because CT is part of NE...they must bow down and worship Boston EVEN though Fairfield, New Haven, and Litchfield county all are closer to and in the NYC Census metro region.

I've heard people say that Milford, under 70 miles, is half Red Sox fans and associates more with New England.
Hey...I understand the NE part of CT being all for Boston...but it's the arrogance of Boston fans and NE fans from other parts of NE that annoys me.

In recent years they have taken away MSG, and broadcast NYC TV stations...the Red Sox have been bringing their world series trophy to New Haven and Waterbury...and Red Sox fans have been claiming CT is Red Sox nation.
As a former resident of FF County...it is THIS arrogance and misperception that annoys me.

I for one am sick of this whole NE nonsense....most of CT is not really NE...it resembles more of the mid atlantic.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I can't tell which part of CT he's in. From what I gather he's in the Hartford area and not on the Gold Coast or New Haven County. If he's in the SW part of the state why is he griping about the lack of coverage in the Courant?

I am aware that Fairfield County and New Haven County are part of the NYC metro area. But that is still considered part of New England and the New England culture, while watered down, still very much exists in that part of the state.
Disagree...it's not part of the NE culture.
To me...the true NE culture is in Eastern CT.
Mystic...the quiet corner...that's NE.
Boston can have and claim that...but to say that New Haven is Red Sox country, as Theo Epstein has tried to do...is quite arrogant.
There is no state called New England...and Boston fans need to stop trying to make it out like Fairfield County is an anomaly.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
SW CT was part of New England LONG before it became a bedroom community for New York City. Have you ever lived in New Haven County? I did and I still have family there.

Don't you have more important things to think about than whether or not New Haven County is considered either NY Yankees or Bawston Red Sox territory? I do.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Disagree...it's not part of the NE culture.
To me...the true NE culture is in Eastern CT.
Mystic...the quiet corner...that's NE.
Boston can have and claim that...but to say that New Haven is Red Sox country, as Theo Epstein has tried to do...is quite arrogant.
There is no state called New England...and Boston fans need to stop trying to make it out like Fairfield County is an anomaly.
The hamlet of Mystic isn't in Connecticut's quiet corner. The quiet corner is Windham County plus Mansfield, Coventry, Columbia, and Lebanon.

Quiet Corner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
SW CT was part of New England LONG before it became a bedroom community for New York City. Have you ever lived in New Haven County? I did and I still have family there.

Don't you have more important things to think about than whether or not New Haven County is considered either NY Yankees or Bawston Red Sox territory? I do.
See...that again is where you and those arrogant Boston fans are wrong.
You make it sound like FF and New Haven county are only more aligned with NY due to commuters and NY transplants...and that it is by dilution.

Wrong...New Haven has always been much closer to NY than Boston...and has a lot more in common with the NY area.
I really resent the arrogance that because CT is in NE only those areas diluted with transplants go for NY...I feel that natives in SW CT even without transplants grew up rooting for and being more inline with NY.

There is no state of NE...and even if so...NY is two times as close and much more like SW CT in terms of climate and culture.
The NE thing doesn't fly except for Eastern CT.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
The hamlet of Mystic isn't in Connecticut's quiet corner. The quiet corner is Windham County plus Mansfield, Coventry, Columbia, and Lebanon.

Quiet Corner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know...I misphrased....Mystic AND the quiet corner.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
See...that again is where you and those arrogant Boston fans are wrong.
You make it sound like FF and New Haven county are only more aligned with NY due to commuters and NY transplants...and that it is by dilution.

Wrong...New Haven has always been much closer to NY than Boston...and has a lot more in common with the NY area.
I really resent the arrogance that because CT is in NE only those areas diluted with transplants go for NY...I feel that natives in SW CT even without transplants grew up rooting for and being more inline with NY.

There is no state of NE...and even if so...NY is two times as close and much more like SW CT in terms of climate and culture.
The NE thing doesn't fly except for Eastern CT.
I simply deal in facts and only facts. Obviously you can "feel" that natives in SW CT grew up in the shadow of NY making them New Yorkers. But that simply is not the case. Your illogical approach to this issue is very much like the new math. It does not add up.

New England IS a region comprised of six states. The South is a region comprised of something like 11 states. The west coast is a region comprised of 3 states and so on. Apparently you are the only person I've ever heard claim that SW CT is not part of New England.

Applying this very same logic of yours to other situations one can surmise that Fort Erie, ON is part of the Buffalo, NY region. It is not. It has economic and cultural ties to NY just like Niagara Falls, ON but in the end both are their own distinct entities, functioning separately of the whole.

And how about Sharon, PA? It's a suburb of Youngstown, OH and we all know that Ohio is a Midwestern state but PA is clearly a Northeastern state. The people of western PA will be pleased to know that if we apply your logic to determine which region they are classified they'll wind up as a Midwestern state.

And here in Kansas City you have cities and towns in MO and KS that are part of the metro area. But Kansas is basically considered a Plains state while MO is essentially considered a Midwestern state. The counties adjacent to MO in the KC metro area are very similar to the counties in the MO side both culturally and economically but not entirely so. There are differences in each state's counties within the metro area.

The people in Boston don't give a hoot about whether or not CT is not considered part of their sphere of influence. Only the extreme NE corner is truly influenced by the Boston-Worcester metro area and once you get into the Norwich-New London and Hartford markets you have a more distinct CT identity.

My Father was from Long Island, I have family in NY and my roots are in both states. But I don't see anyone from Boston behaving arrogantly about this issue. Nobody from Boston is laying "claim" to Connecticut cities or towns as part of their state. But apparently you believe SW CT is a part of NY state and that is simply not the case.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:09 PM

No...I don't think Southern AND Western CT are part of NY State.
I do feel..and believe..factually Southern AND Western CT due to proximity to a larger city called NYC...and all that goes with...have more in common with NY and the tri state area THAN Boston and what people think of when hearing about the NE region...and accordingly would care more about NY...considerably...and root for NY teams.

CT is one of six states comprising NE...but it is also one of three states comprising the NYC tri state region...and thus several parts are more like the latter than the former.
CT may not be part of the state of NY...but it also is not part of the state of NE.
It is one of the NYC tri states...and one of the six NE states.
It's alliences and ties to NY are not just from NY transplants.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
People - please stop responding to this guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut