Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 82,850 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would really, really appreciate advice on where our family should live. Here are some facts:

1) Spouse will work in Greenwich.
2) Would need a VERY short commute to Greenwich (ideally, no more than 15 minutes). Hours of work would be in the Greenwich office at 7:30 and leave after 7 PM.
3) Money is not an issue at the moment (so, it's okay if real estate is high); We would like at least a 4 BR.
4) One 2 year-old child (and, maybe one on the way) - so, great preschools and small kindergarten facilities are most important to us now.
5) And, lastly...we are an Asian family. So, SOME diversity would be nice...But, I'm not sure if this is really possible give numbers 1 through 4 above.

Any advice? We would be relocating to CT from another city and coming in with blindfolds at this point. I could use any help I can get. Thanks to you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,980,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kksk View Post
Hi everyone,

I would really, really appreciate advice on where our family should live. Here are some facts:

2) Would need a VERY short commute to Greenwich (ideally, no more than 15 minutes). Hours of work would be in the Greenwich office at 7:30 and leave after 7 PM.
3) Money is not an issue at the moment (so, it's okay if real estate is high); We would like at least a 4 BR.
4) One 2 year-old child (and, maybe one on the way) - so, great preschools and small kindergarten facilities are most important to us now.
5) And, lastly...we are an Asian family. So, SOME diversity would be nice...But, I'm not sure if this is really possible give numbers 1 through 4 above.

Any advice? We would be relocating to CT from another city and coming in with blindfolds at this point. I could use any help I can get. Thanks to you all in advance.
Well, Greenwich is a very nice place and that's an understatement. However, if you don't want Greenwich for whatever reason - New Canaan and Darien are top notch small towns and border Greenwich.

As for diversity - you are in a NYC bedroom community, that is the last thing you need to worry about.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 82,850 times
Thanks JViello! I have 2 follow-up questions.

1) Are Greenwich, Darien, and New Canaan all equals in terms of housing prices?

2) If I were to characterize Darien and New Canaan as Tier 1 cities (on a purely cost basis and close proximity to Greenwich), then what would you (or other readers) characterize as a Tier 2 city (again, based purely on cost and close commuting distance)? In other words, are there any other towns that are not more than 15 minutes away from those mentioned that are less expensive to live in? Just curious...

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM

217 posts, read 889,504 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

If money were no object and my husband worked in Greenwich I would just live in Greenwich.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,315,104 times
I agree with debct. Live in Greenwich. Excellent public schools, great beaches, great services. Homes are expensive but the mil rate is low.

Darien is pleasant, ok beach, but colorless. New Canaan is a bit more rural, no beach, and you will drive your kids everywhere. It will be longer than a 15 minute commute, especially during rush hour.

These are nice towns, but look at Greewich first, it will have everything you want. And it's a beautiful town.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 PM

93 posts, read 393,964 times
New Canaan is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I'd highly suggest living here...it's worth the commute.

Greenwich, in my opinion, is very commercialized and busy. It's a nice town with great schools, but I would live in New Canaan and commute.

Just keep in mind that these are big money towns (among the wealthiest in the United States) and some people (not the majority) can be unfriendly.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:13 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,315,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
New Canaan is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
Just keep in mind that these are big money towns (among the wealthiest in the United States) and some people (not the majority) can be unfriendly.
New Canaan is certainly beautiful, and you will get a certain...attitude, in both towns. Greenwich has Route 1 and I 95 cutting through it, making it busier than New Canaan.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,980,762 times
Quote:
Thanks JViello! I have 2 follow-up questions.

1) Are Greenwich, Darien, and New Canaan all equals in terms of housing prices?

2) If I were to characterize Darien and New Canaan as Tier 1 cities (on a purely cost basis and close proximity to Greenwich), then what would you (or other readers) characterize as a Tier 2 city (again, based purely on cost and close commuting distance)? In other words, are there any other towns that are not more than 15 minutes away from those mentioned that are less expensive to live in? Just curious...
I have to correct my post, my mind was in another place. Darien does not border Greenwich, but very close. Darien is sandwiched between Stamford and Norwalk. So one town over.

New Canaan is about 15 miles from Greenwich going from center to center.

Tier 2 I would consider Shippan Point in Stamford, and also the North side of Stamford to meet your 15 minute requirement. If you went a little further Westport would also be included for me.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 AM

135 posts, read 437,131 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Hi,
I would consider Greenwich or North Stamford only. If your husband is going to work in Greenwich then why would you want to live in Darien or New Canaan? From/to Darien he probably would have to take i-95 that has lots of traffic in peak hours. New Canaan is a very nice town, but again he will have to deal with traffic on Merrit Pkwy. So the best option for you would be to choose Greenwich, or North Stamford-which is as beautiful as Greenwich (consider that schools are better in Greenwich)
Last, don't worry about diversity- here you will find many different races, cultures, habits etc. This area is very diverse and people are very friendly.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 02-21-2007 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 75,455 times
If diversity is important to you I would consider North Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut