Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,849 times

Advertisements

Hello,
im currently attending uconn at a different campus and am soon being moved to the main campus in storrs. I am planning on living in off campus housing such as orchard acres apartment or other apartments that are within walking distance. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how hard it is to meet ppl if ur not living directly in dorms, what things there are to do socially and ways to meet ppl on campus? thanks jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,451 times
I would try to see if theres ppl like u that might be moving up next year. Or u might wanna get in touch with ppl from high school that might be lookin to move off campus and are lookin for roommates.

Orchard Acres is right next to campus. Theres a trail that starts in o.a. and ends up at the hilltop bus stop. It is also adjacent to hilltop apartments, which are hugh, and about 1000 students live in hilltop. If you're lookin to make friends, you can make some on the buses or in classes or joining a club.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 PM

49 posts, read 200,175 times
I high suggest getting involved in an activity of some sort. a very large percentage of my friends from college (I'm a UConn alum) were from being involved in the UConn Marching Band, pep band, concert band, and Tau Beta Sigma (National Honorary Band Service Sorority).

Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 AM

639 posts, read 2,712,091 times
You will have no problem meeting anyone at the apartment complexes.

UConn is a huge party school, one of the biggest in the country simply because there is nothing else to do.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
You will have no problem meeting anyone at the apartment complexes.

UConn is a huge party school, one of the biggest in the country simply because there is nothing else to do.

Sorry, there is plenty to do and you don't have to go to a party to meet people.

It depends on what YOU want to get out of your experience there and what kinds of people you want to meet in the process. I would certainly recommend checking out some of the clubs or activities on campus. There are plenty of them. Also consider one of the honors or service fraternities on campus if you can. A lot of people who try to do a lot of good for the community. You'll find that you will meet people too where you live and in classes, through group projects, etc so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I beleive the clubs on campus have (at least they used to do this), an information session type of event in the student union early in the fall semester to let new students know what they are about and the types of things they do. You may want to keep an eye out for that although it may have already happened by the time you move onto campus. Also maybe think about looking for a small part time job on campus. I had several during my tenure at UConn and I met a lot of people that way as well.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Here are a couple of links that may help you.

Student Union - Division of Student Affairs - University of Connecticut - Frequently Asked Questions

Student Activities | UConn

Old 09-11-2008, 03:32 PM

What I ment about nothing to do was in regards to "night" life. There really isn't much in Storrs. Parties were always the biggest draw when I was there for Thursday-Saturday.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

49 posts, read 200,175 times
people don't go to huskies, ted's, or civic pub?? didn't bother me, because I wasn't in to that scene, anyway. my nightlife on the weekends consisted of going to band parties which was only one night a week when they had them.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,451 times
lol I'm too young to go to huskies or teds and wut the hell is the civic club?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Civic Pub, it's a bar. Huskies and Civic Pub are ok, plenty of people go there but it gets old.

For a college town, UConn really is missing a true college town bar scene like a lot of college towns have. Reason most people either travel to Hartford or Providence for a real night life or attend parties on and off campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut