Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM

154 posts, read 688,616 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of any closing costs assistance programs for homebuyers (first-time) in CT.? I've checked the Ct. homebuyers wesbite and can't find anything other than the typical FHA loans. The CT. website is actually slightly confusing. Some states, like New York, do a second small loan to help with closing costs. Is anyone aware of anything like this in CT.?

Also, any lease to buy options in the West Hartford area and/or surrounding suburbs (family-friendly ones like Farmington, Canton, Granby, etc.)?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
We are seeing many deals now where sellers are covering a portion or all of the buyer's closing costs. I've had this in several instances this year where I represented the buyer.

If you're looking for loans which cover closing costs, they are typically making up the money somewhere, typically in the interest rate charged.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Call the Ct Housing Finance Authority (CHFA). If there is a loan like that, they will know about it. They're very helpful there.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM

Amy - is there a reason why they would do that if it's a seller's market? I would only expect that in a buyer's market. Would you say that a $240k house is really going for $240k or do they go below asking price?

thanks for your expertise.

And to the other poster - thanks for the advice - I will call them. That's the website I looked at originally and I have to say, it's one of the more confusing state housing websites I've seen!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Housing Development Fund

Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM

trishguard - great website! Unfortunately for me, it only serves Southwestern CT. but it's a great resource for first time homebuyers in that area.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

103 posts, read 427,924 times
Karelise-

Have you already looked into a CHFA loan? I wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to above. There are loan and income limits but they do a DAP (downpayment assistance program) loan which will cover your closing costs. Their website is:
CHFA Buying Your First Home (http://www.chfa.org/FirstHome/Homebuyer%20Programs.htm - broken link)

The CHFA/DAP loans are a little funky so I highly suggest that you talk to a lender who does CHFA.

I don't know firsthand of other programs, other than getting the seller to contribute closing costs.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks Jessica, after reading your post I put a call and email into them to see if I can find out more. It (finding out about downpayment and closing costs programs) was pretty simple in some of the other states we were considering but not so clear, at first glance, on the CHFA site.

Hopefully someone there will get back to me. Even their phone menu options seemed disorganized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut