Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 PM

179 posts, read 294,171 times

Advertisements

Wow skytrekker was dead on with everything he said. I wanted to add somethings but I dont even know what to add. I think that people get the wrong idea of Connecticut b/c a lot of out of state people only hear of the Fairfield County People. My ex gf lives in New Canaan (fairfield county) and her 900k house is the rattiest one in her area and looks like garbage compared to the rest. Compare that with a 900k house in the windsor, east windsor, enfield, south windsor areas and you're looking at near mansions. Many new state of the art and very elegant homes have been built in South Windsor, East Windsor, and Ellington. If I made 125k living in Enfield right now in my 200k house, I would straight up feel like a baller. Instead I make 40k a year and still get by dy to day. Every town has its "bad" part but that is usually relative to the rest of the town. If you're looking at good combo of school systems/cost of living/area then South Windsor, Windsor, East Windsor are good north of hartford towns. If you are looking for a good combo of school system/area with no limit on price then as skytrekker said Granby, Suffield, Simsbury are all better choices. The public schools in Windsor and East Windsor arent the greatest but they're not horrible either. Now to be honest its so easy to move to connecticut its not even funny. If it were only as easy to move to Charlotte, NC (which I am doing soon) then I would be happy. One more thing..are you strictly looking for north of hartford? B/c Avon, West Hartford, Canton (which are west of hartford) and Wethersfield, Rocky Hill (south of hartford) and Tolland, Vernon, Ellington (East of Hartford) are all pretty good commuter choices as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 77,669 times
You too have provided some nice info like startrekker!!

I really dont mind looking beyond north of hartford, but I will like my drive to be around 15 to 20mins from windsor locks.
One of the reason to move from los angeles is to reduce my one hour drive to home and affordable housing.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor_CT View Post
You too have provided some nice info like startrekker!!

I really dont mind looking beyond north of hartford, but I will like my drive to be around 15 to 20mins from windsor locks.
One of the reason to move from los angeles is to reduce my one hour drive to home and affordable housing.

If you want less traffic, go East of the River. North and West of the city is where the commuter traffic is worst. Granted by our standards, but it can get clogged.

There is virtually no traffic on 84E out of the city...I take it every day from smack in downtown so I know first hand. I have traveled the other routes as well.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM

179 posts, read 294,171 times
I may have missed it, but did you say that you already had a job lined up IN windsdor locks? If so no matter where you are on 91 from windsor to enfield (last town before mass which is where I live) you wont have to worry about traffic and you will only have a 5-20 minute ride to windsor locks. I live in enfield which like I said is the last town on 91 north before going into mass and it would only take me 15 minutes on a normal drive to hartford..the problem is that around exit 36 of 91 during the morning commute traffic becomes a bi*ch b/c well people are dumb. This is an exit for the town of Windsor. You dont want to go anymore towards hartford than windsor or else you will be running into traffic problems at many different times of the day. I get off exit 37 (Windsor) every morning and it literally takes me 10 minutes from my exit in enfield which is exit 47w. Luckily I get off just before the traffic starts. If you lived in any town from Windsor up and worked in Windsor Locks then you would have absolutely no traffic issues and you would probably be in heaven compared to your commute now. On any given day I can travel 3/4 across connecticut on 84 in an the time it takes you to get to work now (an hour). GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post
I may have missed it, but did you say that you already had a job lined up IN windsdor locks? If so no matter where you are on 91 from windsor to enfield (last town before mass which is where I live) you wont have to worry about traffic and you will only have a 5-20 minute ride to windsor locks. I live in enfield which like I said is the last town on 91 north before going into mass and it would only take me 15 minutes on a normal drive to hartford..the problem is that around exit 36 of 91 during the morning commute traffic becomes a bi*ch b/c well people are dumb. This is an exit for the town of Windsor. You dont want to go anymore towards hartford than windsor or else you will be running into traffic problems at many different times of the day. I get off exit 37 (Windsor) every morning and it literally takes me 10 minutes from my exit in enfield which is exit 47w. Luckily I get off just before the traffic starts. If you lived in any town from Windsor up and worked in Windsor Locks then you would have absolutely no traffic issues and you would probably be in heaven compared to your commute now. On any given day I can travel 3/4 across connecticut on 84 in an the time it takes you to get to work now (an hour). GOOD LUCK!
Totally agreed, commuting TO Windsor Locks changes things vs to DT Hartford.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:29 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Windsor- if you look into Manchester or Vernon- it is a quick jump via I 84 to I 291 over to Windsor- I did this trip for years- its about a half hour on average.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:48 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
WOW! LA to Windsor, thats a big difference. I am from South Windsor,and moved to Raleigh many years ago. SW will always be home, but don't think I will ever move back to the cold weather.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Debbie

with all do respect- you can have Raleigh and NC.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 PM

13 posts, read 77,669 times
Default Moving

Thanks for all the input!!

I have finally made my decision and taken up the offer. I will be moving to CT by middle of march.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Good luck- Win- winter will be just about finnito by then- barring any surprises!

Do contact me- perhaps we can meet for wine or coffee and I can give more facts and hints!

Pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut