Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,946 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Washington, DC, and will soon be relocating to NYC for work... I am looking in the Fairfield County area, and am between the Stamford area, and the town of Fairfield, and Trumbull to a lesser extent. I know towns like Darien, Greenwich, and Westport are currently out of my price range, but there seems to be some middle ground... I grew up in Rhode Island, and have spent a lot of time in Connecticut, but am not too familiar with Fairfield county. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am mostly concerned with commuting time to GCT (don't want it to be much over an hour) and home costs (single family home ~$400k).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,472 times
Look into Milford and Trumbull. Milford has some dirty areas but Trumbull is very nice. We almost moved there.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
It all depends on what you expect to get for the $400k. If you want excellent schools and don't mind a modest home, then I would say Fairfield or Trumbull. If you do not need good schools and don't mind a modest home or condo, then check out either Norwalk or Stamford. You could find a something there in your price range. Another option may be Stratford or even Bridgeport if you want the most home for your money. If you want the most home for your money in a good town with very good schools, then check out Milford. But be aware Milford is well over an hour from New York City. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks a lot for the input... I have heard great things about Trumbull; the only thing that worries me is that there isn't a train station within a close distance... I will be commuting to NYC daily, so I am hoping to limit the drive to the station in an effort to ultimately limit my total commute...

I'm also glad that there are some sensible hockey moms out there

Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot Jay.. Those are all definitely things I have been considering. Schools aren't a major concern right now, but I am newly married and they will surely become more important in the years to come. I would like to make the $400k go as far as possible... and would like a single family home, if at all possible. My biggest concern is commute, but living in DC, I am used to a long commute.... so all things are relative

Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM

A lot of young couples buy their first homes in less-desirable towns and move on before their children get into the middle or high school levels because that is where the differences really start to show. If Norwalk or Stamford are not to your liking then definitely check out Fairfield. It has a very nice downtown with a lot of nice stores and restaurants plus there is a neat old theater there that runs second-run movies and there is a train station. The schools are considered to be excellent. Plus the town has a lot of beautiful neighborhoods and a pretty wde range of housing options (everything from modest starter apartments to mansions). As I have said on this board before, I know peoiple that moved to Fairfield because it was more affordable than towns in lower Fairfield County but then liked it so much that they stayed when their fortunes improved. Jay

Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks again Jay... great advice, and I really appreciate it. I really do like Stamford, and Fairfield... the only thing that would make me lean towards Stamford is the commute issue. Is it an insane commute from Fairfield? I don't mind an hour long commute, but after dealing with the Metro is DC for a number of years, I would hope for something slightly less stressful.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberalHockeyMom View Post
Look into Milford and Trumbull. Milford has some dirty areas but Trumbull is very nice. We almost moved there.

Just to clarify for the OP if she's interested in Milford: The "dirty areas" that LHM referenced are likely to be in Devon. I wouldn't characterize Devon as dirty per se. It's an older, more affordable section of the city that has commercial more closely intertwined with residential, hence the possible perception of grittiness.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_in_DC View Post
Thanks again Jay... great advice, and I really appreciate it. I really do like Stamford, and Fairfield... the only thing that would make me lean towards Stamford is the commute issue. Is it an insane commute from Fairfield? I don't mind an hour long commute, but after dealing with the Metro is DC for a number of years, I would hope for something slightly less stressful.
Insanity is in the mind of the beholder. It is about 1 hour 15 minutes by train from Fairfield station to Grand Central. On top of that is the drive from your home to the station and then the walk/ride from Grand Central to your office. If those add another 15 minutes, you are talking an hour and a half. Is that insane? You are the only one to judge that.

Stamford is about 20 to 30 minutes less of a commute, so it could be done in about an hour. Jay

Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 PM

184 posts, read 842,674 times
Fairfield will add a good 30 minutes to your commute on top of Stamford, but I'd recommend it nonetheless. I think on average the trains are one hour ten minutes to Grand Central. I didn't mind it a bit. It didn't feel like a "stressful" commute.

I rented in Greenwich for years but when it came time to buy my first home, Fairfield was that "middle ground" for me.

It is an excellent time to buy. There are some great deals now, and you should be able to find a SF home for about 400K - it will probably be a little dated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut