Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Transferee had to pass up moving to CT due to high real estate costs, thankful for relocation help on forum, continuing job search in CT, CT great family state

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,638 times

Advertisements

we unfortunately had to let the job go, only because we were not able to carry 2 mortgages, especially since the cost of houses there is 2.5-3 times what we can currently get for ours here.

If I already did not have a huge loss or if the company would have helped a little in relo were would have been there. We were very excited about the opportunity and all that CT has to offer a family.

We still plan on looking in the area, if we can, but we have to be open to many places, the "goal" is to leave here!

Anyway, thank you all so much for your help with gathering information, we truly appreciate it and it helped us understand it could be a good fit our family.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,735,558 times
You're not alone. I've worked with several potential transferees who had to "pass" on the opportunity simply due to the difference in cost of living (especially real estate). This is probably the single largest issue preventing new blood from moving to the state.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
You're not alone. I've worked with several potential transferees who had to "pass" on the opportunity simply due to the difference in cost of living (especially real estate). This is probably the single largest issue preventing new blood from moving to the state.
Thanks Rich it really is more of what ours "isn't worth" and that there are 3 years worth on the market here.

In Ct they are more costly but that part was doable, if we did not have the "boat anchor" here

Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 AM

154 posts, read 686,824 times
we had to pass on CT too unfortunately. It's the property taxes that is making it just too unaffordable to live there. Starter homes are ok but when you tack on an extra $400 plus a month in taxes, plus personal taxes (on cars and such) plus heating bills from oil heaters, etc... it just gets too cost prohibitive. It's too bad because we love the state and everyone on the forum has been so nice.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM

34,737 posts, read 56,545,451 times
I am very sorry to hear that both of you had to pass on a move to Connecticut. good luck to you both, Jay

Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,978,279 times
Property taxes are becoming a more severe burden to many here- I have heard many complain locally about them from the Stop & Shop to the Gym. The problem here is individual town rule- an idea that's time has come and gone- if the state of CT want to be a viable choice for newcomers- some kind of regionalism is going to be needed to bring down tax rates.

How these towns expert people to survive and have a decent quality of life while property taxes spiral higher is a serious dilemma for not only the local towns but the state of Connecticut.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM

575 posts, read 3,125,061 times
Things like fire and police protection can be regionalised easily, and should be. why do all the towns in Hartford County, and any other county in Connecticut, need duplicate fire and police chiefs? Especially towns with small land areas and small populations. It would be better if it was all considered Greater Hartford Police (which would cover all of Hartford County) and current police stations would become sub-stations of some sort. This will also eliminate the hassel of police not being able to chase criminals over town lines as they would all be part of the same system. Paperwork will be streamlined, more integration for crime solving, etc. Plus a cost saving of not having duplicate services across the same towns. There will be no great differences in Salary, insurance costs, or benefits as they will be similar in any town you would work within the "greater Hartford" police/fire force.

Makes sense to me

Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 AM

722 posts, read 1,975,192 times
Well how does it work in New Jersey? Anyone know? For example, I heard that there is Paterson Police and Passaic County Police. Same as in Georgia; DeKalb County P.D. and Decatur Police.

In Virginia, alot of the cities (for example Suffolk, Norfolk, Virginia Beach) have police AND sherriff's departments. I always thought our way was better than theirs.

Does anyone know of a state that we would model? I would like to look them up.

Last edited by brasscitybluenwhite; 09-25-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,069,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Well how does it work in New Jersey? Anyone know? For example, I heard that there is Paterson Police and Passaic County Police. Same as in Georgia; DeKalb County P.D. and Decatur Police.

In Virginia, alot of the cities (for example Suffolk, Norfolk, Virginia Beach) have police AND sherriff's departments. I always thought our way was better than theirs.
You would only see that apparent duplication in larger cities. In those cities, the Sheriff probably doesn't do much or any local police work. (But in some places the Sheriff has specific roles to play regardless of a local police force. Like selling abandoned or foreclosed property.) For more rural areas, the Sheriff's department is the primary law enforcement officer. Note that in many states there is land that is not part of any city or town but simply unincorporated county or township land.

My impression is that CT has too many police chiefs, fire chiefs, and school superintendents, along with the organizational structures beneath all of those positions. Also, towns have functions that don't need to be local (or even governmental), like selling hunting licenses.

The dreaded vehicle personal property tax requires a whole administrative structure, duplicated in every town.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM

252 posts, read 767,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Property taxes are becoming a more severe burden to many here...The problem here is individual town rule- an idea that's time has come and gone- if the state of CT want to be a viable choice for newcomers- some kind of regionalism is going to be needed to bring down tax rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Well how does it work in New Jersey? Anyone know? For example, I heard that there is Paterson Police and Passaic County Police.
In New Jersey it's WORSE: property taxes are even higher here (highest in the country) because we have THREE levels of government (state, county, and town). Be grateful that the county level of government in Connecticut is relatively small/benign. Although town level services may be inefficient (redundant), at least you have some local control, i.e. individuals watching town budgets to minimize excessive spending/taxation. In New Jersey, it's just completely out of control: more levels of government (and more vested interests) than any individual can keep track of.

A near-universal truth about government is that it only grows, almost never shrinks. if you're thinking of a regional structure, recognize that it would be in addition to the current town-level government, and thus would add costs/taxes. The only way a regional structure would decrease costs is if the town governments went away; that will happen when H*** freezes over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut