Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

I remember They had pictures of BABIES Toddlers with Funny Comments inside where you sat down Their Chicken ONION RINGS were the BEST BY FAR ANYWHERE ON THIS PLANET . As a Kid WE Lived in North End of Hartford known as the WILSON Section of Windsor At the Entrance was another Great little restaurant called ALDORS MAN I MISS THE OLD DAYS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
I recall that they had at least 3 restaurants, One in Hartford close to the train station, One in East Hartford next to Augie's & Ray's, and One in downtown Springfield. There may have been more of them but those are the 3 that I personally ate in. The chicken and onion rings were their specialty and were both excellent. I recall the baby pictures on the wall with the funny captions on each one. The owners may have been Italian but the waitresses in Hartford were definitely french. My in-laws are french also and they used to joke with them all the time in french.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
I'm 67 now. We lived in Plainville and I can remember going into Hartford many times on a Sunday with my brother and parents for the great fried chicken and onion rings. That was a great place. I was a preteen at the time. Many moons ago!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,633 times
I remember the Chicken Coop fondly. The chicken was really good. We sometimes dined in and I remember it being a bit dark, but the food never disappointed us. Other times, my dad would bring it home. We felt so special then when we got food brought in. Going out to dinner was a special occasion. I was probably around 7 then and 50 now, living in FL. To this day, whenever I find a chicken joint, I compare it to the Chicken Coop. It is the gold standard!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,847 times
Does anyone here of pictures of the chicken to show people who were born after it closed down?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,600 times
The chicken coop was the best - went there all the time, they made deliveries to where I worked in Hartford. The chicken came in boxes all stacked together one one top of each other, tied with string. Paper plates and wooden fork. Wish I had the receipe for that wonderful chicken. When the resturant closed, does anybody know did that receipe go with it??? I would love if something like it would come back. That was the good old days.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson2245 View Post
My Grandfather owned it. They are actually Italian not French. They closed down because he went bankrupt and he passed away in the 90's.
Do you know if the recipes still exist and are for sale?

Arnold

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,966 times
Creator and original owner Nicholas started in Hartford across from where the "Y" is today. He had to move the location for the highway to Asylum St and initially brought in one of his brothers (Asylum Hill, Blue Hills Ave., East Hartford and Springfield locations). Soon thereafter, Nicholas extended to his other 3 brothers who opened locations in Worchester and Bridgeport, known as the Chicken Roost. Nicholas returned to Providence, where the family was from, and opened in Providence on Broad St. He also had a donut shop next door. In the early 1960's, he and his wife opened in Warwick (where the Staples is on Post and Airport Rds). Nicholas also opened Chicken Coops in New Bedford and Dartmouth, Ma. Nicholas passed in 1978. I have tried restaurants who claim their recipe is the Chicken Coop recipe, but they are not even close.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I have to laugh every time someone posts on this thread. It is interesting to see that a restaurant has had such an impact on people that they are still thinking about it years after it has closed. This thread was started in 2008 so there has been activity on it for nearly 5 years now. One of the grandchildren of the owner had posted here back in 2008 but has not really been back since. Maybe one day they will return and see what a legacy their grandfather had started. Jay

Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,864 times
Default The Chicken Coop

I have been wanting this incredible fried chicken for years and years(Hartford) just under the railroad tracks there any family members who know how to cook this chicken available to me to teach me how to make it. I have traveled all over the globe and there is no chicken recipe that can compare to this and I just want to make and have it one more time. I went there as a little girl at least once a week with my folks and have never found anything even close. Here I am at 68 and I have to have this one more time/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut