U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,073,519 times
Reputation: 28825

Advertisements

Hi there!

Quick questions for you folks who have more experience with CT winters and oil heat than we do.

We live in a 1500 square foot house (split level) that is heated by oil.

One of us (me) works from home, so setting the temperature too low during the day isn't tolerable.

1. Last winter, we had it set to 68 during the day (I was still a little frosty!) and 58 at night (made it hard to get up if I had to go to the bathroom, but whatever). Of course it's a matter of tolerance, but do these temps sound reasonable to you?

2. During the day, I work out of one room in the house (in the top floor). Do you think it makes sense (cost-wise) to lower the heat on the oil burner (to maybe 62?) and get an electric space heater for the one room? Or do you think that the electricity cost of toasting up this small room (12 x 12 at most) would be equal or more than leaving the house at 68 during the day?

I'd appreciate your knowledge and advice...

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
 
5,065 posts, read 15,208,371 times
Reputation: 3552
Our house is 1600 square feet, and actually right now I have a small electric space heater on in the living room for our 4 year old. The thermostat is set to 58. Once it gets colder, I'll raise it to a high of 62, lol. Seriously, that's where I kept it last year all winter during the day, and about 56/58 at night. Yes, it was very cold, but it kept the heating bill down. We did have our space heater in the basement for a finished room, and the teens used it occasionally while watching TV down there. I didn't notice a huge increase in our electric bill, it must be an efficient heater. So based on that, this year we plan on using a little electric heater occasionally upstairs to supplement the oil heat. Today is the first day I'm trying this out. But judging from last winters electric bill, I think an efficient electric space heater for one room might be cheaper than cranking up the thermostat and heating the whole house with oil.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 10-07-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 AM
 
77 posts, read 229,249 times
Reputation: 44
kerosene heaters?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,073,519 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassholic View Post
kerosene heaters?
I was thinking of getting a cheapie space heater at Target or Wal-Mart, as long as the electricity cost of running it for a small room (office) would be more than heating my whole house with that whopper of an oil boiler.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 15,208,371 times
Reputation: 3552
I think when you start using portable heaters you have to be very, very careful with what you use, and never leave them unattended. I would never leave them on while sleeping, either.

That is my safety tip for the day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,073,519 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Our house is 1600 square feet, and actually right now I have a small electric space heater on in the living room for our 4 year old. The thermostat is set to 58. Once it gets colder, I'll raise it to a high of 62, lol. Seriously, that's where I kept it last year all winter during the day, and about 56/58 at night. Yes, it was very cold, but it kept the heating bill down. We did have our space heater in the basement for a finished room, and the teens used it occasionally while watching TV down there. I didn't notice a huge increase in our electric bill, it must be an efficient heater. So based on that, this year we plan on using a little electric heater occasionally upstairs to supplement the oil heat. Today is the first day I'm trying this out. But judging from last winters electric bill, I think an efficient electric space heater for one room might be cheaper than cranking up the thermostat and heating the whole house with oil.
Oh wow! You sound even more frugal than we are! Good going!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,073,519 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think when you start using portable heaters you have to be very, very careful with what you use, and never leave them unattended. I would never leave them on while sleeping, either.

That is my safety tip for the day.
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't leave it unattended (nor would I leave it on while sleeping) -- I'm so frugal, I'd turn it off even if I was just leaving that room to go to the bathroom!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
 
5,065 posts, read 15,208,371 times
Reputation: 3552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I was thinking of getting a cheapie space heater at Target or Wal-Mart, as long as the electricity cost of running it for a small room (office) would be more than heating my whole house with that whopper of an oil boiler.
I can't seem to stop posting on this thread, I'm sorry. But I wanted to mention that ceramic heaters are said to be the safest and most energy efficient. Here is a link about space heaters you might find helpful:

A Guide To Space Heaters, Danny Lipford Showcases Several, And Offers Safety Tips - CBS News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,073,519 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I can't seem to stop posting on this thread, I'm sorry. But I wanted to mention that ceramic heaters are said to be the safest and most energy efficient. Here is a link about space heaters you might find helpful:

A Guide To Space Heaters, Danny Lipford Showcases Several, And Offers Safety Tips - CBS News
Don't be sorry! I appreciate the advice!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
 
Location: West Hartford, CT
103 posts, read 410,518 times
Reputation: 93
I'll add my two cents - I've lived in a similarly sized house for the last 4 years and did exactly what you're proposing. Although my office is on the first floor, I keep the household temp low during the day (around 64 is as low as I can go in my shady house) and keep a small ceramic heater at my feet. Since I've always done it that way, I can't tell you how much I'm saving but it seems like it would less expensive. And you never want to leave them unattended - I had one catch fire at my office once while I was sitting at the desk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top