Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,258 times

Advertisements

Hi,
How's Glastonbury, CT for raising a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,531,951 times
Good schools, good neigborhoods, also has some shopping and restaurants and a nice center. Its pretty upscale so there is a certain keeping up with your neighbor element depending on the neighborhood you end up in. Let me know if you have more specific questions. thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,258 times
Thanks, we've been looking at Glastonbury and the surrounding towns, Wethersfield, Marlborough, Hebron etc. (unfortunetly, I've heard about Rt 2 at rush hour) Beautiful area's and history, just seems like Glastonbury has it all, location, good schools, beautiful neighborhoods, etc, BUT pricey. We need childcare also and that seems REALLY pricey in Glastonbury. Trying to be practical in this economy...

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,391,290 times
Their are some home daycare's that will give you care for about 200 a week. Which is a pretty good price nowadays

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

34,662 posts, read 56,437,947 times
I agree that Glastonbury is a great town to raise a family. The schools are excellent and there is a lot to do with children. We have live here now for about 14 years and it has been wonderful. If you are not into "keeping up with the Jones", you might consider looking in the North End (Naubuc School district) where homes are more modest and the people of more modest means. We have found a lot of very nice families here and Naubuc school was great. Jay

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM

103 posts, read 426,643 times
I take Rt 2 every day and it's not great into Hartford but no worse in my opinion than 84. As far as amenities, housing selection, mix of country and town and location in relation to other things, I think Glastonbury is a good pick. The other towns you mention are also nice but you get more in Glastonbury.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,531,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surie View Post
Thanks, we've been looking at Glastonbury and the surrounding towns, Wethersfield, Marlborough, Hebron etc. (unfortunetly, I've heard about Rt 2 at rush hour) Beautiful area's and history, just seems like Glastonbury has it all, location, good schools, beautiful neighborhoods, etc, BUT pricey. We need childcare also and that seems REALLY pricey in Glastonbury. Trying to be practical in this economy...
Yes things are tough - maybe a smaller house and then move up in a few years just to make sure you aren't overextending yourself right now?? And yes childcare is pricey - we pay 1400 per month for 2 kids, 2 days per week only, but it is what it is! Might also consider a less expensive town and then move when your children enter the school system? Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut