Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 63,221 times

Advertisements

FYI...Orange is not cheap. The town is is categorized as DRG B. Orange is always above of Milford and its surrounding towns in terms of schools and social class. Orange, Bethany and Woodbridge shares the same regional high school - Amity Regional. You need to go above $400 for a decent property in Orange and that is just a start. In North Haven, you need to go above $350 for a decent property, but Wallingford is definitely cheaper than North Haven.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:23 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Compared to central Indiana- SE Connecticut will be more expensive- but not unreasonably so- Home prices in eastern CT- Tolland ,Windham and New London county will be higher- no doubt- but a decent home can be found for around 200K. Home prices in CT will be cheaper in the eastern part of the state- do realize that from central Indiana- where the median home price will be around 130K- in eastern CT- the median will be double that (260K) You can but a NEW home in the suburbs east of Hartford from 235-275K. Hope this helps- I fully understand what you are going through- do private message me for more information.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-16-2007 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Midwestgal

I see that hubby will be working in New Haven- so I would suggest Hamden, and Wallingford- or even Middletown. In these towns a 'starter' home in a decent neighborhood will start at about 189K......

Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 15,731 times
Default expenses and living in CT from someone who does

Let me tell you...we (wife and I) are actively looking for a house...

Even in Central CT...to have a decent (.5 acre) yard, with a decent (3 bedroom house for 2 kids), say 1800 sq feet, in a decent neighborhood, with a max drive of a half hour to work, you need to spend a minimum of $250k. Anything less was built in 1870 and has a fieldstone basement that will leak in the spring, needs work done, etc. Trust me...lived here for 29 years+. It is rather ridiculous...cant wait to get out...everyone here is in a hurry to go no where.

Huge gas taxes, property tax on cars (we paid $700 for our two cars last year alone and we dont live in a fancy town), insane taxes on houses (about $4000-5000 for a decent house per year), and a 4.5% income tax stinks. And let me tell you...the income is so high here only because we have Fairfield county and Litchfield. Take those places off the map and the income level will go in the toilet...just like this state is going...all of my talented friends who have half a brain left this state already...I am stuck here for the time being for family reasons...but I would leave in a NY second. Please trust me...the income level here for new families does not even come close to equalling the cost of living. Do the math and look at many other places to live...it's a better deal. I think they should have left the New out of New England as the rules and taxes here remind me of the real England.

My advice is to get out while you can unless you like snobs, antiquing, giving tons of tax money (to a state that has a billion in extra cash laying around for some strange reason), 2 months of okay weather, everyone suing everyone, crooked politicians, no place to ride your atv, crappy drivers going slow in fast lane and vice versa and where anything fun is basically illegal...just look at the beach signs! NO this, no that, can I even go in the water please??? Did you ever see anyone playing volleyball on a public beach here?

Connecticut is a passive state...its for people that like to look at things and not actually do anything...it's not a very engaging place to raise a family today. If you bought a house fifteen years ago for cheap...maybe...but now real estate is so overpriced it is ridiculous...$350,000 for a house in the 70's just because its in a nice neighborhood and it is 2000 sq ft. Go to Charlotte, NC...or Forth Worth area have less than half the mortgage and taxes, earn about the same...and wow...people actually wave to you there! and smile!!!! and they are strangers!!!! Wake up CT politicians or the stream of people leaving this state will never come back...and then oh no!...but who will be around to fix our BMW's and MB's and water our lawns...fix our faucets..etc....

Worry of making the mortgage every month, both parents MUST work...the business climate is also expensive...no time to spend with family because your paying high prices for everything and need to work...It just sucks...now these are just random thoughts...anyway...Life is better in many other states...cant wait to move...unless you have enough money to buy a politician and change things!

Sorry...just a ventand my .02 cents.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro C View Post
Let me tell you...we (wife and I) are actively looking for a house...

Even in Central CT...to have a decent (.5 acre) yard, with a decent (3 bedroom house for 2 kids), say 1800 sq feet, in a decent neighborhood, with a max drive of a half hour to work, you need to spend a minimum of $250k. Anything less was built in 1870 and has a fieldstone basement that will leak in the spring, needs work done, etc. Trust me...lived here for 29 years+. It is rather ridiculous...cant wait to get out...everyone here is in a hurry to go no where.

Huge gas taxes, property tax on cars (we paid $700 for our two cars last year alone and we dont live in a fancy town), insane taxes on houses (about $4000-5000 for a decent house per year), and a 4.5% income tax stinks. And let me tell you...the income is so high here only because we have Fairfield county and Litchfield. Take those places off the map and the income level will go in the toilet...just like this state is going...all of my talented friends who have half a brain left this state already...I am stuck here for the time being for family reasons...but I would leave in a NY second. Please trust me...the income level here for new families does not even come close to equalling the cost of living. Do the math and look at many other places to live...it's a better deal. I think they should have left the New out of New England as the rules and taxes here remind me of the real England.

My advice is to get out while you can unless you like snobs, antiquing, giving tons of tax money (to a state that has a billion in extra cash laying around for some strange reason), 2 months of okay weather, everyone suing everyone, crooked politicians, no place to ride your atv, crappy drivers going slow in fast lane and vice versa and where anything fun is basically illegal...just look at the beach signs! NO this, no that, can I even go in the water please??? Did you ever see anyone playing volleyball on a public beach here?

Connecticut is a passive state...its for people that like to look at things and not actually do anything...it's not a very engaging place to raise a family today. If you bought a house fifteen years ago for cheap...maybe...but now real estate is so overpriced it is ridiculous...$350,000 for a house in the 70's just because its in a nice neighborhood and it is 2000 sq ft. Go to Charlotte, NC...or Forth Worth area have less than half the mortgage and taxes, earn about the same...and wow...people actually wave to you there! and smile!!!! and they are strangers!!!! Wake up CT politicians or the stream of people leaving this state will never come back...and then oh no!...but who will be around to fix our BMW's and MB's and water our lawns...fix our faucets..etc....

Worry of making the mortgage every month, both parents MUST work...the business climate is also expensive...no time to spend with family because your paying high prices for everything and need to work...It just sucks...now these are just random thoughts...anyway...Life is better in many other states...cant wait to move...unless you have enough money to buy a politician and change things!

Sorry...just a ventand my .02 cents.

Everything you have said is negative and unfair- and much of it is filled with stereotypes, untruths and myths.
That is my 2 cents worth! I suggest you see what state has a higher quality of life according to Forbes magazine -CT is number 4, NC 28. Enough said- I will not give you any more time or energy to address your fantasies in this hateful and mean spirited post.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-06-2007 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Everything you have said is negative and unfair- and much of it is filled with stereotypes, untruths and myths.
That is my 2 cents worth! I suggest you see what state has a higher quality of life according to Forbes magazine -CT is number 4, NC 28. Enough said- I will not give you any more time or energy to address your fantasies in this hateful and mean spirited post.
I agree, as the old proverb goes" "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence". Jay

Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree, as the old proverb goes" "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence". Jay
Well said Jay

It seems one has to learn the hard way about life sometimes.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
If you live within your means and make some sound investments I think you can live a decent life anywhere. I live in North Carolina but was born and raised in CT. Everything is a trade off, I guess. I wouldn't mind moving back to Fairfield County.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 PM

84 posts, read 360,245 times
For the longest time my girlfriend and I thought about moving to an area like North Carolina, but we thought the trade offs we'd make would compromise our comfort. What can I say I'm a New England boy. Anyways, I always thought of Central to Eastern CT to be a downright bargain within the Boston-New York-Washington corridor. You can live a peaceful life, but you're still within easy reach of New York or Boston.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 PM

217 posts, read 891,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgal View Post
Hubby and me are looking to move to Groton and compared to our midwestern Indiana town, it's SO EXPENSIVE. We looked to move to Groton, Norwich, Preston, and Clinton.

I thought maybe the other part of the state would be cheaper, but it's more expensive. I have an honest question. How do normal middle class people afford it here? It's just so expensive. My hubby got a job in New Haven.

Help, any other midwesterners in CT there? How do you deal with it? Can you live a normal life?
I can not help you much it is expensive. We are in fact looking to move to teh midwest or down south. Try looking for a house in Wallinford if you will be working in New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut