Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Connecticut: political campaign, voting system, democratic candidate, voters, republicans.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
As I mentioned, those polls are absolutely useless. Nevertheless, the major publications are still doing them.

I've heard about the one showing Obama at 53 and Mc Cain at 39. However, the Electoral map shows a totally different picture.

Unless one of the following states switches from Red to Blue, no one has a guaranteed 270 votes at this point (less than 3 weeks from the election):

Florida
Ohio
Virginia
West Virginia
It pretty much depends on what publication/poll you listen to. I was watching CNN this morning, and a representative from "pollster.com" was there. Pollster has Obama up 318-159 or so, in terms of electoral votes. They have Florida and Colorado as "Obama" now. Also, though, they have North Dakota, West Virginia, and Indiana "leaning Obama."
I'm a bit suspect with this particular poll. I don't think Obama has it "locked up" by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Interesting. I'm shocked to hear that in NC and Darien, Obama signs are plentiful! That is one of the most conservative areas in New England. I've driven through Fairfield and Easton, all McCain signs, no Obama. Same with valley towns, like Ansonia, Derby and Seymour - not one Obama sign. I'm not surprised about the Amity area - Woodbridge has been traditionally democratic for quite a while.

I think in this election, CT will be closer to 50/50 than it has been in the past, possibly leaning red. Just my opinions - they don't reflect my political beliefs.
I don't think that you can rationally judge by the number of signs that you see. I just volunteered a few days in sta fe, new mexico for obama. the obama office did not have ANY signs to give away because the demand far exceeded the supply. all of the ppl that streamed in had to settle for obama stickers because there are no signs to be had.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:44 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't think that you can rationally judge by the number of signs that you see. I just volunteered a few days in sta fe, new mexico for obama. the obama office did not have ANY signs to give away because the demand far exceeded the supply. all of the ppl that streamed in had to settle for obama stickers because there are no signs to be had.
There may be some truth to this. I know that a lot of the signs I see in Cheshire are on undeveloped lots. Unless trees can vote, I'm guessing volunteers put these signs out. This would make it seem that more folks wanted the signs for this particular candidate when that isn't necessarily the case.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
The signs I've seen in Cheshire have ALL been on residential properties...

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Income taxes are based on net profit (revenue - expenses). A business could earn $1 million a year, have $750,001 in expenses, and still have net taxable earnings under $250,000.
Rich, that's not accurate. What is going to be taxed is net of costs. If you file schedule c or are an S corp you are taxed on net of costs. In a small business like mine, it's not like I take a salary of 80K or whatever pay taxes on that and then file a different return for the business with X amount.

It's all on a single line, and that line doesn't look like your figured above. Trust me.

This is the smoke and mirrors to confuse people and make them say "yea I'll never make 250K screw them". When in reality, the way tax laws work, this is going to hit small business right in the crack of their behind and then some.

I can't afford to pay another $7500 in taxes right now. Frankly that's half a part time worker salary or the cash to get another truck on the road that would employ another two people in CT...I just might not be able to hire that guy who was asking me for work or purchase that new equipment...or, I'll just have to raise my rates. Surprise! Either way it hurts our economy. That's how it works.

Quote:
Who said "Uneducated." The analysts are saying "Less educated."
You're saying the same damn thing...

Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
National Gallup Poll of Likely Voters shows Obama 49%; McCain 47%. Funny how the mainstream media is ignoring this poll, I guess it doesn't promote their "Obama has this locked up" meme. Gallup Daily: Likely Voters (Traditional)
The polls show him with an edge but it's not a wide margin, so I don't think Obama has it locked up. I've noticed many younger people supporting McCain while many longtime CT republicans dislike Palin so are leaning left. I think a number of factors are being considered in this election that haven't been considered in the past.

I was in Woodbridge today and for every McCain sign there were at least 10 Obama. I also drove through the Valley where I saw a lot more Obama signs this time around than last week. Most were on residential properties.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
At UCONN, more people wear McCain shirts and I've seen more McCain stickers on dorm doors. But UCONN does surveys to see who wins each debate and everytime there's a debate, the students overwhelming say that Obama wins them (>60% for Obama on Wednesday. Thats interesting because around 15 percent said that it was a tie).

I also should add that on Wednesday there was an OPED article in the New York Times (which is free on campus here) that suggested that we subtract a couple points from Obama's lead because many Americans are afraid to admit that they won't vote for him.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:50 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Interesting report I just heard about McCain signs being stolen around the state and/or being replaced with Obama signs.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 PM

404 posts, read 560,880 times
One can only hope it would, miracles do exsist

Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM

24 posts, read 76,830 times
CT used to be solidly Republican, even though it wasn't Republican in quite the way that Texas is Republican. But it voted for Hoover in 1932. It voted for Ford in 1976. Until 1992, it was a pretty safe state for the GOP.

Now, I realize it's true constituencies have changed somewhat in places like West Hartford to very liberal. However, I believe the state could easily go to red again with the right conditions and the right candidate. It's not like what happened in Vermont, where conservative farmers were displaced by Ben and Jerry's hippies and New York weekenders. Most of the people here are still the same. People in Connecticut don't seem much into discussing religious issues (although I suspect the Supreme Court's latest ruling may push normally unperturbed people over the line), but are very into fiscal responsibility and, I think, in most smaller towns, property rights.

The old strategy for winning CT was "win Fairfield County and the small towns, and you will eclipse the Democratic votes in the cities." It can still work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut