Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 AM

54 posts, read 243,498 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Farmington (close to Hartford) and now work next to a town in Elizabeth, but am in Elizabeth every once in awhile. I love the surronding area of Hartford more than Elizabeth. Elizabeth seems a lot more dangerous - a husband's friend of mine several years ago got murdered near broad street and my colleagues from Trinitas Hospital have had a lot of safety and threats.

As a teenager, sometimes we would drive through the north end of Hartford after concerts and never had a problem (I know very dumb now when I think about it). I also used to sometimes work in the North end of Hartford and it was slummy, but did not have too many problems. I once had a problem on the West Hartford/ Hartford border and my dad works in Hartford and someone attempted to mug him with a knife in daylight and he was in a decent area.

In a city hang out in, I would say Hartford over Elizabeth because I like the quieter way of life and would feel safer. But for city life, I would not choose either because I do not think either has too much to offer. I would choose Boston for a large city and for smaller Hoboken or Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM

11,244 posts, read 18,730,634 times
The nice towns around Hartford are for the most part a lot cheaper to live in than similar towns near Elizabeth (though still expensive compared to the South, etc.). And it's still close enough to occasionally come to NYC for nightlife (and because it's a similar distance, Boston as well). So I'd go for Hartford given the choice.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
IMO, Hartford is more like Newark - both are home to many insurance companies, both share borders with well-kept suburbs (in Newark's case, South Orange), both were once thriving metropolitan areas that have fallen on hard times and both are struggling with crime - though Newark has definitely made a quantum leap in the last few years in terms of improving quality of life (courtesy of mayor Booker). And both still have neighborhoods that are affluent (Newark has Forest Hills, Hartford has the West end).
Newark fell on much harder times than Hartford ever did. It really could not go much lower. I live near it in the 80's and we would NEVER go there for anything. Not that there was m,uch to go there for. At least Hartford had a lot to see and do (Civic Center, Bushnell, Anthenium, etc.), plus a larger variety of jobs (insurance, banking, corporate, law, state government, etc.). The middle class literally fled Newark almost completely. Hartford maintain some if its middle class. These are very different types of cities. I would not compare them at all. Jay

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,685,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Newark fell on much harder times than Hartford ever did. It really could not go much lower. I live near it in the 80's and we would NEVER go there for anything. Not that there was m,uch to go there for. At least Hartford had a lot to see and do (Civic Center, Bushnell, Anthenium, etc.), plus a larger variety of jobs (insurance, banking, corporate, law, state government, etc.). The middle class literally fled Newark almost completely. Hartford maintain some if its middle class. These are very different types of cities. I would not compare them at all. Jay
Where is this middle class in Hartford that you speak of? The truth is that it's now Connecticut's poorest city and now one of the poorest in the nation. And unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon. I take no joy in saying that either because I would like the city to rebound, but that's not going ot happen in the forseeable future. Newark may be the poorest city in Essex County and has a poor image, but its close proximity to New York and reduction in crime are going to change that. And they, too, have attractions - NJPAC, new hockey arena, new apartments and condominiums. It's changed a ton since the 80s, and it's largely due to having a leader who's proactive and committed to his city - something that Hartford sorely needs.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 11-23-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,815 times
agree with you

Old 11-24-2009, 04:34 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times
Quote:
Where is this middle class in Hartford that you speak of? The truth is that it's now Connecticut's poorest city and now one of the poorest in the nation.
The West End and frankly the area around UConn Law and Elizabeth Park.

Also there has been a lot of "empty nesters" moving into the downtown "condo" boom. A few thousand units are in play now with more coming on line all the time.

Also on the Wethersfield border around Goodwin Park - if you've never been there, check it out. There is actually a decent number of 30-40 year old professionals moving in to homes around there.

I spend my life on the road going to 3-5 homes a day - In Hartford specifically, I have to know where I am going as I don't service some areas.

As for the "poorest" comment, I cringe when I see that said. How many times do we have to talk about the reality that Hartford's problem with those demographics is that it's borders are so small compared to a city like Newark or St Louis etc. Hartford is one of the top ten richest metros in the nation.

If you expanded the city borders just a couple miles it would encompass West Hartford center, Wethersfield and other parts and that statistic would change drastically.

I'm not saying Hartford is this shining beacon on a hill. I still go through the filth and ghetto and it's disheartening. All I'm saying is, on paper the city looks much worse then reality.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 AM

11,244 posts, read 18,730,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
As for the "poorest" comment, I cringe when I see that said. How many times do we have to talk about the reality that Hartford's problem with those demographics is that it's borders are so small compared to a city like Newark or St Louis etc. Hartford is one of the top ten richest metros in the nation.

If you expanded the city borders just a couple miles it would encompass West Hartford center, Wethersfield and other parts and that statistic would change drastically.
Actually in this case Newark would have a similar issue (and potentially more so in that it has twice (and in its heydey 3x) the population of Hartford), it's only 7 sq miles bigger (17 vs. 24 sq. miles). It's just not noted so much because Newark has the whole vast NY metro area surrounding it. Hartford has significant towns surrounding it too, but it gets overshadowed because a lot of outsiders' image/perception of CT is that of being a "bedroom" for Wall St. and NYC corporate bigwigs and NY-based actors/actresses, etc. in Fairfield Co.

But otherwise, point well taken, Hartford is almost certainly one of the smallest cities sq mile-wise of it's density in the nation (it has a similar pop density to places like St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. but with a much wealthier overall metro).

Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Where is this middle class in Hartford that you speak of? The truth is that it's now Connecticut's poorest city and now one of the poorest in the nation. And unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon. I take no joy in saying that either because I would like the city to rebound, but that's not going ot happen in the forseeable future. Newark may be the poorest city in Essex County and has a poor image, but its close proximity to New York and reduction in crime are going to change that. And they, too, have attractions - NJPAC, new hockey arena, new apartments and condominiums. It's changed a ton since the 80s, and it's largely due to having a leader who's proactive and committed to his city - something that Hartford sorely needs.
Believe it or not, hidden away in the South End, the West End and Blue hills are some nice middle class neighborhoods. I know Newark has come a long way, but my point was that a few short years ago it was a lot worse than Hartford ever was of currently is.

I do agree with you about the lack of leadership in Hartford. Mayor Mike Peters did a lot to turn the city around but Perez has undone so much of that. He completely ignored the things that were needed to bring people into the city and concentrated on his cronies and their agendas. JMHO, Jay

Old 11-24-2009, 03:05 PM

304 posts, read 866,133 times
I guess Mike has never been to Bridgeport.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,762,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
I guess Mike has never been to Bridgeport.

What does that have to do with Fairfield or Glastonbury? Just stick to the places that you want to bash, instead of playing these childish end-around games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut