U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 56,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I recently moved from L.A. and am currently staying with relatives and making the long daily commute from the Branchville station in CT to NYC Grand Central.
I'm looking to rent an apartment in less suburban area with more frequent trains (such as Stamford, Norwalk, or White Plains), but am finding the parking situation at local train stations to be a major obstacle. I am on permit waiting lists at both stations (which they said could take a year and half), but would like to move much sooner.

Anyone have any suggestions on stations between Greenwich and Norwalk with shorter permit waiting lists, shuttles, apartments in walking distance, or reasonable pay-per-day parking? Also, what time do non-permit spots usually fill up?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 PM

184 posts, read 808,017 times
The main station in Greenwich has plenty of metered parking in the big lot. Bring quarters. At one quarter per hour, its a bargain.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 PM

32,493 posts, read 51,332,814 times
Parking at pretty much every station along the New Haven line is at a premium. You might find parking in downtown Bridgeport. There are some pretty nice apartments there too and they are reasonably pirced by Fairfield County standards. You might also check for apartments in downtown Stamford and then walk to the station. Of South Norwalk and walk. Jay

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,345,601 times
Train service is very frequent at Stamford, how about getting a place on a bus line to the Stamford station? That should open up your search considerably.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 56,984 times
Thanks for the help. I've been looking into the bus line, but they don't seem to run very frequently after 7:05pm (about once per hour), and I normally wouldn't arrive back from work until between 7-8p. Do any of the lines run more frequently at night?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

418 posts, read 1,345,601 times
Unfortunately bus service does become much less frequent after about 705. Some routes combine, making the trips home even longer. Try to live near a route that does not combine (like 41 to Norwalk, which still only comes hourly). I occasionally come home late and just decided not to fret over the cost of a cab ride now and then. I'd also advise looking in Port Chester and other NY towns- they're may be something more walkable at the same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut