Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 39,452 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are contemplating a move from So Cal.

We are looking for a liberal area to raise our youngest 3 kids (8,9,13) so good school districts are a priority. We can afford something in the neighborhood of $500,000. I am also hoping to add a friendly community so we can make friends.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (If there is a better place in New England we would be open to that too!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM

3,987 posts, read 6,595,835 times
where would you be working? That will help with recommendations

Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM

2,857 posts, read 10,455,990 times
Yes we would need more info to narrow down your search for you.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Sorry.. forgot to mention.

We work from home so there will be no need to commute. We have a business that can follow us anywhere.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Then you have lots of options. Housing in hartford county is more affordable than the areas closer to NY. Are you looking for something more suburban with stores, restaurants etc or something more rural with more land, slower pace, etc?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Well I would like to be in the suburbs (not in the city), but with access to shopping and entertainment such as movies etc for the kids on the weekends.

I would like to have at least a 12,000 sq ft lot so I could have a garden in the summer.

I guess I would like to live in "neighborhood" so to speak. Somewhere we could meet our neighbors.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

17 posts, read 46,408 times
Well, if you can be anywhere in CT, I might say West Hartford. It is an extremely liberal/democratic town and great for a family. Most streets are lined with sidewalks so its easy to walk around and meet neighbors. If you drive through the town, there are always people out and about. It's an active place. There's a lot to do from window shopping to cute independent restaurants (all in its well-known, walkable town center) and there are a lot of amenities and services for its residents.

The schools are high-performing and usually rank among the best in CT. The town was even ranked the 10th most educated town in the U.S. a few years ago (judged by percentage of residents who hold a graduate degree).

Last edited by kakel; 11-12-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM

I would also agree that west hartford is a good choice for you then. Good schools, lots to do. Variety of housing types, styles, etc. Good Luck

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,772,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloraz View Post
I would like to have at least a 12,000 sq ft lot so I could have a garden in the summer.
12,000 square feet = approximately .275 acre

In many Connecticut towns, a quarter acre is the minimum lot size.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 PM

35,110 posts, read 57,234,310 times
There are many wonderful towns in Connecticut that you could find a very nice home for $500,000. It might help to know some things you like. do you want to be close to the beaches? Then the shoreline towns east of New Haven might be to your liking. Check out towns like Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton or Westbrook.

If you like being nearer to the mountains and countryside but still be near civilization, check out the many wonderful suburbs surrounding Hartford. As suggested, West Hartford is great. Also consider Glastonbury, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Granby, Canton and Burlington. There are so many great towns, I could go on and on.

If you want quiet charm of New England, check out the lower Connecticut River towns of East Hadaam, Chester, Essex and Old Saybrook. If you want beautiful rolling hills, check out the wonderful towns of Litchfeld County. If you want the most home for your money, check out eastern Connecticut with towns like Colchester, Hebron, Bolton or Marlborough.

I guess my point is there are so many places you could live that would meet your needs. I will warn you though, people here can be reserved, so you might not find new friends easily. If you get out and meet people tough you will make friends.

Also note that in your price range you should not have much trouble finding a home on a lot that is larger than 12,000 s.f. Unlike CA, most towns (CT does not have any unincorporated areas) require larger lots. In your price range you could even find a home on an acre or more if you want. I hope this helps. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut