Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times

Advertisements

Ok

The 24 year old needs to go and explore for better or worse- either he finds what he wants or does not- we all have the right to take risks- I have and made plenty of mistakes. That is up to the young guy spoke of. We certainly do however have a right to disagree and express our opinions and not preach- lets MOVE ON.

Also if this does continue you put your self in Jeopardy of being either banned, or banned for a time period and given points. Lets try and welcome newcomers here as adults not with bickering and posturing.

I for one have expressed strong opinions here- so I am certainly not innocent.
Give it a rest- and try and get along here- and as hard as it is with our prejudices- try and be objective.
There are people here looking for info and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
Default movin outta Ct

Skytrekker,

I have been reading your threads, and I agree with everything you said.

I moved from Connecticut in 1993. I lived in Florida, Houston and Atlanta. And I must tell you, the South,is the South anyway you slice it. It's not all a bed of roses. Yes the houses are beautiful and it seems grand, until you try to settle in....... I have been trying to move back to Ct since 1995, but when you are in marriage one has to compramise. (Spouse has never lived in the NE). I make a good income by southern Standards,but comparing to other family members in Ct they are way, way ahead of me. I find that people here in the south will smile with you, but that smile can mean many things. If they make a statement, your best bet is not to answer or evaluate it well before you answer,it might be a "set up". People here are treacherous, and once they realise you are not an original (especially Houston) they deny you friendship, jobs, services, etc. If you are on vacation here, you will get the southern hospitality feeling because they know it's temporary.

Connecticut is a far more decent place to live or any NE state for that matter. At least in Ct, what you see, is what you get. My Children were born in Florida. Each time we visit Ct, they do not want to leave. The place is beautiful, The air is crisp,clean, and healthy,CT is not overwhelmed with fast food restaurants next to each other stretched out in a line on the roadways
(possible cause for all the obesity).Connecticut believes in healthy living. Good health insurance on the job, holdsome foods,Good outdoor activities,real people. I am trying to get back to Ct. before my children gets older. Just so they can enjoy some good living,and experience the schools. Right now my sons are in a trailer at the school because of overcrowding. I genuinely miss Ct. and I am doing everything to get back. and I could go on and on but enough said.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Thanks Summers for the compliments.

America is a very diverse country- and the social divisions we have today have existed all through our history.

Each region has a specific 'culture'- that is the nature of the animal.
My folks where born in the Pittsburgh PA area- I was born in Wash DC-
I hear people trash Pittsburgh- and I think its a great city- but the culture is VERY different then here. New England itself is one of the most clearly defined areas of the country. And our culture, history and educational institutions have certainly molded us very different then most of the rest of the country.

This holds true for house form and culture, the secularism of religion, regional cuisine, liberal attitudes (Vermont was the first state to outlaw slavery) equal rights for women and gay Americans- and much more.

I do hope you make it back- Connecticut has its faults but the quality of life here is very high.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 PM

32 posts, read 80,828 times
Im a 25 year old living in charlotte now, i moved here when my dad got transferred in 2001.

Since then i graduated college with honors, got my MBA and have plenty of work experience.

In the last ten days my dad was laid off from the job tat brought us here after 18 years with the company and i was let go from my job too, and i was only making $40K.

The job market here sucks, the food sucks, the city sucks, you will NOT like it unless you like sitting in your house or being downtown (uptown?) drinking. Its the only thing to do in this town.

Im trying to move BACK to CT at this very moment. There are more jobs, more towns, public transportation, close to 2 MAJOR cities, etc, the cost of living is higher there because its worth it. and i'll tell you right now, the only things more expensive in CT vs Charlotte are homes and taxes. Food, and basically everything else is very similar.

I want out. I want to come back. Now.

Last edited by Chubbs; 08-24-2008 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Since then i graduated college *** Laude
Too freakin' funny

Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 PM

32 posts, read 80,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Too freakin' funny
haha yea i changed it to appease the censors. lol.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,853 times
You think they're nicer? Maybe to your face but behind your back they'll stab the knife in. Not only do they hate northerners but they would go out of their way to hire a good ol boy or girl before a northerner. Have fun i would take ct any day over nc

Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,853 times
Don't blame you one bit. We have found where we live in Leland NC pathetic. The surrounding towns are full of uneducated hillbillies that have no teeth, are tatooed all over, can't speak proper English, and are some of the most dumbest people I have ever met. The obesity is out of control here and try finding salmon thats not fried in LARD. The diets are disgusting and the northern hatred is pathetic. Education means nothing here and no matter how much education you have they'll still try and pay you 10.00 an hour if your lucky. We are headed back too because we have had it

Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
I love living in Connecticut. I hope I can afford to stay here after I retire eventually.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Connecticut has a wide variety of communities to live in. The tax structures, quality of schools, conveniences, amenities, etc. vary quite a bit. However, being a small state one doesn't usually have to travel very far to find what they need.

There are trade offs in choosing where to live and you can't always get everything you want for what you can afford or are willing to pay.

Many Connecticut residents with school-aged children that have the income to support it choose to locate in communities with highly-rated schools if education is a top priority. Unfortunately many of these communities have higher taxes and/or home prices. However, even the lower-rated school districts in Connecticut (with the exception of some cities and larger towns) generally out perform the more highly-rated districts in the south.

Add into the equation the fact that many people have extensive family connections in the area and relocating requires a family isolating themselves from their extended family and suddenly the sparkle of moving south for a better life often loses some of its shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut