Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,913,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but I find ranch homes boring and the styling uninspired. Perhaps I am jaded by the endless streams of raised ranch, ranch, and cape homes in CT who's number are so great they remind me of the rows of track homes in California. This sort of proves my point because can you get a newer, 2500sq ft. non ranch/raised ranch/cape home in CT in a good location for around $250,000. I'd really be surprised if you could show me something that has good curb appeal, new upgrades, 2 car garage, on a .5acre land for that price. I find a home meeting these needs in moderately priced Milford and it was going to cost $380,000 to grab it and it was only 1600sq ft.
First off Milford is not moderately priced for the state. Maybe for that area but not in the state.

Secondly I do not live in that kind of neighborhood. I have a custom built home with a mix of stone and cedar on the front with a wrap around porch and many very unique features. I am the only ranch in my neighborhood.

Lets see, I have a rasied ranch across the street, split level colonial next door, brand new colonial next to that, cape next to that. On the other side of the street, colonial, white brick cape that looks like a British tudor and another cape that's been added on to the point it doesn't resemble a cape but a very unique home and then a brand new modern split floor plan kind of thing. All nice homes, all unique.

I know what you are saying with some of the 50's neighborhoods, but I don't live in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
First, you think people will bail on you in the south...when my mother passed away in CT. I had all of my neighbors here at 3:00 in the moring helping us get ready to head back to CT. When I came back from the funeral, my dogs were fed, dinner was in the fridge, my lawn was cut, and my house was clean.

Next, as for meeting my neighbors in CT, I personally went and introduced myself when we moved in. I never heard from them again. Most would not even wave back when I would wave to them. I have 2 children and was always outside. I saw them and made plenty of attempts.

Southington is middle of the road, and not for us. I was just trying to let kd83 know that there is some good in NC. You choose to live in CT and I choose to live in NC. Let it be that.
If someone cleaned my house and mowed my lawn and cooked food in my house I wouldn't be happy unless I asked them too. Those are "my things". I have asked and had neighbors look after my place and pets...that's America 101 for crying out loud.

I do have one "not so nice" neighbor...he's a church pastor from Indiana - go figure.

If you like life in a monotonous postage stamp, good for you. I don't. I did choose to move back to CT and that's why I'm in the CT forum and not the NC...hint hint.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM

531 posts, read 2,005,177 times
Hint not taken. So tell me...is CT the only forum you have posted in? I don't think so. I posted here because I know what it is like going from CT to NC just like the thread started...get over yourself.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
Hint not taken. So tell me...is CT the only forum you have posted in? I don't think so. I posted here because I know what it is like going from CT to NC just like the thread started...get over yourself.
I made a post in the ME forum looking for some help. That's it. Sorry.

Maybe I will start posting in the NC to warn all the people who folks like you might try and dust over. Just a thought...

Perhaps you are homesick and just don't know it? I surely don't care or think about NC or Charlotte any longer.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,634,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
You're not comparing "apples to apples" here. Ellington is one of the cheaper towns in Connecticut to live in. Raleigh is one of the most expensive communities to live in in NC (excluding the touristy OBX). If you want to compare the most expensive to the most expensive, compare Raleigh to Stamford, and whatever the cheapest area is to Enfield, Ellington or Thompson, CT. You'll find a huge difference.

Taxes are much higher here as a whole. Gas is more expensive here, and you can't say "it's more expensive here because we drive a lot more, therefore use more gas." That's inaccurate. What do you pay for milk? I'd guess that, being in the most expensive area in NC, it would still be cheaper than what folks pay at Cumberland Farms in Darien.

Look at it whatever way you'd like, but try to keep the accuracy here.
My accuracy is just fine, thanks. Spin however you would like. I am comparing the area I lived in CT to the area I lived in NC. I guess it is just semantics to some.

Milk here is around 3.89 per gallon. I never said gas was more expensive, it is cheaper here, that is a fact. But I spend more on gas since we have to drive much farther for work and much more often. Simple economics.

As far as CT goes, I will take the quality of life in CT over NC anyday, regardless of the cost.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM

93 posts, read 392,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I did, and I ran out of there with my hair on fire.

If you like it, stay. Make friends in your new area and leave us in CT alone. Why do you care what happens here now if life is so grand down there?
The question was asked to Skytrekker. He has yet to answer it. So the fact that he hasn't been to Charlotte, doesn't know anyone there, isn't planning a move there, and is basing his decision about the city solely on realtor.com and city-data.com shows that what is being posted is riddled with false information. Sure, the quality of life might be better up in CT in general. We do have better schools (among the best in the country) and we are close to major cultural and transportation hubs (NYC, Boston, Providence, Philly, DC). We also have the highest tax burden overall in the nation (yes, number 1) and those of us who live in Southern CT have to deal with I-95 between New Haven and NYC, the second busiest stretch of highway in the nation (LIE being first). We have severe issues with corruption in Connecticut, as it's happened in nearly all of our major cities and also on the highest level possible: involving the governor. I love CT, and probably will never leave, but I'm not going to sit here and claim that we live in a utopia as others would like to believe on this thread.

Second, Sky, if you go outside of any of the big California cities and into the more rural parts (that are now becoming built up) you can find homes at reasonable prices. You're comparing the two ends of the famed "wealth gap" here in America. Ritzy LA and poverty stricken ghettos such as Oakland. You and I both know that there are plenty of middle class areas in CA. Just because you looked up on Realtor.com what homes in LA go for, doesn't mean they actually sell for that price. LA as well has numerous middle class neighborhoods. I guess you haven't been there in awhile.

Sky, you want to compare metro areas? Sure, lets do it by county. (The areas below are the most populated areas in the two states).

In NC:

Fayetteville area (Cumberland County) median home price: $88,800
Winston-Salem area (Forsyth County) median home price: $114,000
Charlotte area (Mecklenburg County) median home price: $141,800
Raleigh area (Wake County) median home price: $162,000

In CT:

Hartford County median home price: $147,300
New Haven County median home price: $151,900
Middlesex County median home price: $166,000
Fairfield County median home price: $288,900

One thing you have to keep in mind when looking at this is that Hartford, Bridgeport, Waterbury and New Haven are among the poorest cities in the United States and are located in these CT counties above. Even with that, Hartford County is the lowest out of all the major areas in CT at $147,000, which is just over Charlotte and just under Raleigh, the two most expensive areas in NC.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 PM

154 posts, read 798,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
johnson I answered your question- no empirical facts submitted to back your claims- cheers
the houses in NC are overpriced for local economic conditions. Can locals pay those prices? NO most cities in NC are overpriced- in CT NO- Hartford, New Haven, Middlesex, Tolland, Windham New London counties are NOT- with families (over 60%) able to pay the median price for a single family home. It may seem cheap to you- but what about locals in NC... again lets be objective- do I want to be caught in a housing bubble- Nope- sorry to say some fools will be- and NC is a prime candidate.

NC relies on in migration from the northeast- what happens when that stops? These prices are cheap to you-what about locals? Is income growth that robust to support these prices?

A suggestion- courses in geography and economics do enlighten- and again CT ranks in the top 5 for quality of life issues- by FORBES magazine- NC ranks 26th- draw your own conclusions. cheers again.
I believe people in NC can afford the homes, you are making it seem like they are a bunch of poor uneducated people. CT is overpriced as a whole. I've looked at nearly every major city West of the Connecticut river and VERY few have homes at reasonable costs and the cities that do are the ones with the lower education levels, higher poverty, and low quality of living. I don't know how you can say they are not overpriced when a few years ago many of the homes were 50% less in cost than they were today yet people's incomes in that same period of time have not risen 100%. That makes them overpriced.

As for stats, let's use Forbes since you brought them up:

Forbes Top 10 metros for business (2004 no data for 2005-2007):
#2 Raleigh-Durham, NC
No CT entires

Forbes Best Metros
#2 Raleigh NC
#8 Durham NC
No CT entries

Forbes Top Job Growth
#36 Wilmington NC
#52 Raleigh NC
#84 Asheville NC
#96 Charlotte NC
#59 Norwich
#139 New Haven (only other top rated in CT)

Forbes Cost of Doing Business
#3 Hickory NC
#16 Fayetville NC
#18 Wilmington NC
#19 Asheville NC
#24 Durham NC
#25 Greensboro NC
#43 Raleigh NC
#44 Charlotte NC
#92 New Haven (best in CT)

Forbes Best Cities for Singles
#6 Raleigh/Durham
#25 Charlotte
No CT entries on the list

Forbes Best States for Business
#3 North Carolina
Connecticut, not on top 10 list
While CT may be higher in quality of life (in your other stat), the Best States of Business List factors in Business Costs, Economic Climate, Growth Prospects, Labor, Quality Of Life, & Regulatory Environment

Cheers

Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,634,434 times
Wonder how many people from Forbes live in NC? I willl take my own judgements over their paper stats any day.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM

93 posts, read 392,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Wonder how many people from Forbes live in NC? I willl take my own judgements over their paper stats any day.
BigHouse, sorry you dislike NC. Maybe you should move back.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Anyone can twist statistics to their advantage or disadvantage so before this turns into a mudfest of statistics I'll say this.

Several people have lived in both places. Some like one over the other. I guess it depends on personal taste and/or what one likes or dislikes. I have no problem with that.

But when one starts being touted as "better" of the other - it's all relative people.

There are guys in Arkansas wouldn't want to live in either place. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut