Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM

22 posts, read 107,804 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the West Hartford area. I have been told that the schools in that area are excellent. I have never been to Connecticut, but I am an open minded person, who believes in doing her research first. I am also considering UConn's Master's program in education, because I want to teach. I have two children, one will be entering high school, and the other will be three, and still in need of child care. What are some great family friendly areas? What are the schools like? Is renting affordable? I prefer a diverse area, not an area being predominately one race or another. What is the work force like for a teacher? Can anyone help with any of these questions?

Thank you,

COG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,271 times
Here's a good starting point on just general information about West Hartford... http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/westhartford.pdf (broken link)

West Hartford is a diverse community socially and economically and you'll find families in any section of the town.

You can find additional information about the schools here... West Hartford Public Schools - Home and here... Connecticut Strategic School Profiles

I have a friend that just finished the UConn Master's in education program (and is currently doing her student teaching) and she enjoyed it very much. You'll be placed in a school in the area to do your student teaching and then should be able to move into an area district in a full time capacity (if that's what you'd like to do).

Not sure what your budget would be for renting and everyone has a different definition of "affordable" depending on where they're moving from. You can typically find a house to rent from $1,800+, an apartment within a multi family house from $1,200+, and condos typically rent anywhere between $1,200-$1,800. One thing West Hartford does not have a lot of are apartment communities. Most of the typical rental stock is in multi-family houses and some garden style apartments, not apartment homes.

Just let us know what other questions you have.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the information.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,577 times
If you are considering a move to CT specifically for UCONN's education program then I would suggest applying to the program first. It is an incredible program but extremely hard to get into. Since you are comfortable doing research then I would highly recommend researching this program. Perhaps you could speak to some current students, advisors and professors. I was accepted to this program and found it very difficult as a mom with younger children. I would be happy to share my experience if you would like to PM me. You may also want to look into the education program at Saint Joseph College which is right in West Hartford. I have heard good things. Best wishes!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
If you are considering a move to CT specifically for UCONN's education program then I would suggest applying to the program first. It is an incredible program but extremely hard to get into. Since you are comfortable doing research then I would highly recommend researching this program. Perhaps you could speak to some current students, advisors and professors. I was accepted to this program and found it very difficult as a mom with younger children. I would be happy to share my experience if you would like to PM me. You may also want to look into the education program at Saint Joseph College which is right in West Hartford. I have heard good things. Best wishes!

I cannot agree more. I'm a UCONN student, and although I'm not in Neag School of Ed, from my understanding, it is a professional school (like law or medicine type) and you have to have very specific pre-requisites to be considered. The program is structured for a master's degree after 5 years, 2 years of pre-reqs then acceptance into the school.

Plus if you are considering the school, you should really consider moving out to the Storrs area. You wouldn't want to commute from the hartford area to Storrs daily (at least I wouldn't)

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 46,301 times
Hello! I am actually in the UConn education program so I can try to answer your questions. Which program are you interested in? There is IB/M (Integrated Bachelor's/Master's) TCPCG (Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates) a School Psychologist program, and more. Feel free to PM me if you have questions on my experiences.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Actually, I am not moving solely for UConn's Grad Program. I looked into their program, as well as Hartford's and Saint Joseph's. UConn's is a full-time program, that's not a program I want. I prefer a program that is designed for the working adult.

I am considering Sain't Joseph's Program, and I am still looking at Hartford's program. I would actually be transferring, as I am currently in Neumann's program here in Pa. So, I am nearing the end of my 1st semester as a grad student.

I am mostly interested in neighborhoods that are family friendly, neighborhoods that you can suggest, great school districts. I have read about West Hartford, but I am open to learning more about the other neighborhoods, and school districts, and things of that nature. (Please see my initial post).

Thank You!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of God View Post
Actually, I am not moving solely for UConn's Grad Program. I looked into their program, as well as Hartford's and Saint Joseph's. UConn's is a full-time program, that's not a program I want. I prefer a program that is designed for the working adult.

I am considering Sain't Joseph's Program, and I am still looking at Hartford's program. I would actually be transferring, as I am currently in Neumann's program here in Pa. So, I am nearing the end of my 1st semester as a grad student.

I am mostly interested in neighborhoods that are family friendly, neighborhoods that you can suggest, great school districts. I have read about West Hartford, but I am open to learning more about the other neighborhoods, and school districts, and things of that nature. (Please see my initial post).

Thank You!
I graduated from the University of Hartford's graduate program for teacher certification in 1993. I enjoyed my experience there and found the instructors to be very knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

U of H's program is more expensive than others but doesn't require taking as many credits to get your degree. At the time I was researching alternatives the UCONN program required me to take considerably more courses than U of H despite having done my undergraduate work at UCONN and already having an MBA.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,136 times
Default more info.

I totally disagree about diversity in this town. Look up the stats--it's mostly a white population.

Hall H.S. is very good. Now, one elementary school I wouldn't recommend is Aiken. Too long of a laundry list to got in to. There are other e.s. to turn to, though.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I totally disagree about diversity in this town. Look up the stats--it's mostly a white population.

Hall H.S. is very good. Now, one elementary school I wouldn't recommend is Aiken. Too long of a laundry list to got in to. There are other e.s. to turn to, though.
The town is about 85% white, which at first glance might not seem a good indicator of the demographics. But scratch the surface and you'll see there's more than meets the eye. Largest Jewish population in the state, has been for decades. Also largest Asian population in Hartford County, and a large Russian population. WH north of Route 44 has traditionally been home to a big Jewish population, and it still is, but I've seen a growing number of well-educated, middle class blacks occupy these neighborhoods now. There was an article in the town paper a couple of months ago, stating that over 60 different languages spoken in households throughout WH, and in some cases English is only a second language.

If you're in West hartford and expect the diversity - intellectually, culturally, or otherwise - that you'd see in a place like New York City, you're not gonna find that here. This is a town of 65,000 people and, yes, it is mostly white. But there's a diversity of thought and cultures here that you simply will not find in most of Hartford's inner suburbs. There are numerous pockets of different races in just about every neighborhood in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut