Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
A subject I love talking about and a subject that continues to be the Topic at family and social gatherings with me.

No Nat Gas available so I had to rely on oil to heat my 2000 sq ft home.

I'll make this simple: Moved here June 2007.
January 2008 filled half tank.
June 2008 filled half tank again.

Haven't needed a fill since and still got over 1/2 tank left.

18 months $1100 in oil costs.

How?
  • Last winter air temp was 49 when not home, 58 when home, 64 when relaxing.
  • This winter as I type I got a wood stove burning. Thermostat has been off for paat 5 days and its 29 outside right now, 73 inside my house. WOOD STOVE! FREE HEAT!!
People don't understand its easier to stay warmer than cooler. BUNDLE UP! Keep your money!

You're not supposed to stay inside your house with shorts in the winter.

The best is seeing some of my neighbors fill their tanks each month in the winter.

Get a wood stove and enjoy it. Email me if you want to chat about it more.
So, if I got this right, you are saying you paid $1100 for one tank of oil???
I have a wood stove insert being installed next week and believe me I wish it were free! The price with installation is $4,400.

A cord of wood in Ffld County averages $300. To effectively heat the bottom floor (about 1500 sq ft.) I will need at least a cord of wood per month. With oil prices so low now, it will take me a few years to recoup my costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
So, if I got this right, you are saying you paid $1100 for one tank of oil???
I have a wood stove insert being installed next week and believe me I wish it were free! The price with installation is $4,400.

A cord of wood in Ffld County averages $300. To effectively heat the bottom floor (about 1500 sq ft.) I will need at least a cord of wood per month. With oil prices so low now, it will take me a few years to recoup my costs.
??? A cord a month? Dear Lord. You might be thinking about fireplaces how they burn wood like paper. Stoves burn differently, more slower, heat is generated from the burn not the flames per say.

No, paid $550 for 2, 1/2 tank fills. I was going to get the insert but the price of it was pointless.

I bought a $400 stove, $400 parts. Installed myself. I re-coupe costs this winter. Next is purely free.

I barter my electric services for wood or I have local tree companies drop off logs and I chop it myself. Tree companies dont want to get in the buisiness of selling wood because of the time involved. Not much money with it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM

16 posts, read 34,981 times
why doesn't take the advantage of DIY solar energy ? so that we don't have to pay for so much for the electricity. I started DIY my solar heater last year, it is working well still now, just install the panels and grid, and wait for the sun to heat up the solar panels, then I can have hot water without any cost at all. I have saved almost 50% from my electricity. My friend even save all his energy because they collect solar energy to power home electronic appliances. We all learned to DIY just by follow the guide book and instructions etc.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-19-2009 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Removed advertising link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut