U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 AM

79,294 posts, read 66,865,408 times

Advertisements

Greenwich, Darien or New Cannan. You'll love it! Just get used to the trains unless you come home before 3pm or after 7pm. Then you can drive. North Stamford is also good. I was working on this house in Stamford RIGHT ON THE WATER. beautiful community! Homes were over 1 million. It suprised me it was on the peninsula near Shippan area.

So it depends, do you want to be near the water OR in the Woods? You won';t find hot spots in between.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 AM

32,489 posts, read 51,320,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoNY View Post
Thanks Kidyankee764 and Hwc and everybody thanks so much, I've been looking into Greenwich area I really like it especially the "hedgie-oriented crowd" you mentioned would be cool for networking. I also have been looking into White Plains, Scardales NY and just about every place in CT including Darien, Stamford and other places you've mention above. All would be great to network and good commute to NYC. However most of the houses I've searched are either so expensive, or so old, or don't have enough landscape or too close to main roads (yada/yada). I also haven't found one that fits our budget, specs, taste and don't want to rent to pets (we'd like to rent first and then buy but if push comes to shove we'll buy if we're in love with the place).
However, I've been looking into a couple houses we found in Fairfield and they are so beautiful and new, complete with great open wide landscapes for the dogs and even trying my thumb at gardening. The other option I like is the space and privacy away from the neighbors and open roads. So my next concern is finding more housing with those specs in other locations and please share your opinions on Fairfield as a whole I really like to get some perspectives, are the people as friendly as us midwesterners?(giggles). I did a google map search for directions to the nearest target and whole foods, borders, movie theaters, restaurants, and places like that and they all seem relatively minutes away which is great! and even Greenwich is like a 30mins away so that's pretty good for exploring another town for shopping, hobnobing and networking!
So we're still on the search
Fairfield is an excellent town. Being further from New York, the prices of homes there are more reasonable. I know several people that moved there because of the more affordable homes but stayed when their fortunes improved significantly. You are right that Fairfield has a lot to offer. It has beautiful Greenfield Hill (minimum 2 acre lots) that covers about a third of town and stunning Southport Village with a number of unbelieveably quant old homes on a beautiful little harbor. There is a nice downtown area with many shops and restaurants and an old community-run movie theater that runs second run movies for very reasonable prices. The schools are considered excellent too. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
During off peak travel times you can get to Midtown in 40 minutes - It takes about an hour an 10 minutes during the morning commute. Greenwich is only 30 miles from Manhattan.
I assumed we were talking about peak travel times as that's what many people are concerned with when dealing with distance from Manhattan. And, gee, thanks for the geography lesson, since being a New Yorker I must know absolutely nothing about CT, despite having long-standing family ties there and going to CT all the time.

To the OP, best of luck in your search. I also agree with others that Fairfield is an area to consider since it seems to meet your requirements. And, even if you don't move to Fairfield, be sure not to miss the dogwood festival in the spring.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 AM

20,960 posts, read 28,453,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, gee, thanks for the geography lesson, since being a New Yorker I must know absolutely nothing about CT, despite having long-standing family ties there and going to CT all the time.
No need to get nasty. I used to commute daily from Cos Cob to Washington Hts for about 5 months, and it took me about 45 minutes with traffic. Not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut