U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 43,658 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, me and my family plan to move from Chicago to the NY Area due to careers in the city. We may also get a Condo or apartment in the City but due to our pets(We have a lots of dogs no kids). I've been researching many areas starting off with Fairfield,Ct in which we found some really nice houses with great open wide spaces 5b-5bath for rent w/options to own that are within our budget of $1-2.5 mil.
We are totally not familiar with NY Suburban Areas and we are looking for areas with the closest commute to NY and to live nearby grocery's, shopping areas, restaurants, movies and very, very safe, Could anyone recommend any other places within Connectincut or any NY Suburbs that would be a easy commute to NY ?

Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM

20,946 posts, read 28,440,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoNY View Post
Hi everyone, me and my family plan to move from Chicago to the NY Area due to careers in the city. We may also get a Condo or apartment in the City but due to our pets(We have a lots of dogs no kids). I've been researching many areas starting off with Fairfield,Ct in which we found some really nice houses with great open wide spaces 5b-5bath for rent w/options to own that are within our budget of $1-2.5 mil.
We are totally not familiar with NY Suburban Areas and we are looking for areas with the closest commute to NY and to live nearby grocery's, shopping areas, restaurants, movies and very, very safe, Could anyone recommend any other places within Connectincut or any NY Suburbs that would be a easy commute to NY ?

Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated
I would begin looking in Greenwich - it's the closest CT town to Manhattan and is among the most desirable communities in the country. There is a large downtown (Greenwich Ave) with some upscale boutiques and great restaurants. Old Greenwich, Riverside and Cos Cob are all sections of Greenwich each with their own little walkable downtown. Old Greenwich is one of my favorites. There is also backcountry Greenwich but most homes up in that area go for $5-10m+. The town as a whole is very expensive but is within your price range.

Westport and Darien are also great towns, but again it is some of the most expensive real estate in the country. If you are looking for something more urban then Stamford is a good choice. The city is pretty affluent and has a lot going for it. I would recommend Fairfield to you but it seems you're looking to be as close to NYC as possible. The ride to midtown Manhattan from Fairfield is about 75 minutes, 65 from Westport, 58 from Darien, 50 from Stamford and 40 from Greenwich. The longer the commute, the more house you get for your money.

All of these towns are among the safest in the nation. The only areas I'd pay a little more attention to are parts of Stamford (the extreme southwestern area of the city where there is a housing project) and some streets in the Byram section of Greenwich with low-income housing. These areas are very limited and even still, I wouldn't call them dangerous. Just a little rundown.

Feel free to post further questions. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-20-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,854,140 times
Lots of new, unsold houses throughout Greenwich and NewCanaan....many cheap, "vulture" rentals in a financial meltdown, as these are corridors w/many unemployed investment bankers and traders....so no real bid for these houses which will prob end up in foreclosure over next few mths once banks get around to it....

Greenwich is sort of like LakeForest is for Chic, except Greenwich has a massive hedge fund industry based in-town (~40% of NYC region's major hedge funds are based in Greenwich, rest in Midtown)....most of NYC's titans who don't reside on Manhattan's UpperEastSide live in Greenwich, either on waterfront or in BackCountry....

Major advantages of Greenwich over NYC or Westchester County, NY suburbs are ~5% state income tax (vs NY's ~9% state inc tx); fairly cheap and plentiful land (desirable Greenwich BackCountry land is only some $800K/acre vs Eastern LkForest's ~$2MM/acre); and much lower property taxes (flows through even in rentals)

Scarsdale, NY is other consideration....sort of like Winnetka....closer to Manhattan (~18mis vs ~30mis for Gwich's RoundHill area from Midtown); excellent public schools...most houses are on puny (<1 acre) lots...face higher NY taxes...more middle-income (by NYC stds) investment bankers/lawyers vs Greenwich's more hedgie-oriented crowd

Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM

8,714 posts, read 12,224,963 times
I agree with kidyankee's suggestion. I'd say look in Old Greenwich or Greenwich proper--but you'll get more for your $$ in Old Greenwich. Take a peek at Stamford, too. Nice homes can be found in your budget. Stamford is a great mix of corporate urban/suburban/established old town. It has a very small town feel to many parts of it, although the population is around 120k.
As for Westchester, the taxes are much higher than Fairfield county. Closer in, but high property taxes. I'd suggest looking in Rye or New Rochelle.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM

32,465 posts, read 51,293,991 times
there are many great towns in Ct to consider. Greenwich, New Canaan and Darien would probaly be best. Stamford too might be a good opion. Though a city, it has some neighborhoods with larger lots. Jay

Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Lots of new, unsold houses throughout Greenwich and NewCanaan....many cheap, "vulture" rentals in a financial meltdown, as these are corridors w/many unemployed investment bankers and traders....so no real bid for these houses which will prob end up in foreclosure over next few mths once banks get around to it....

Greenwich is sort of like LakeForest is for Chic, except Greenwich has a massive hedge fund industry based in-town (~40% of NYC region's major hedge funds are based in Greenwich, rest in Midtown)....most of NYC's titans who don't reside on Manhattan's UpperEastSide live in Greenwich, either on waterfront or in BackCountry....

Major advantages of Greenwich over NYC or Westchester County, NY suburbs are ~5% state income tax (vs NY's ~9% state inc tx); fairly cheap and plentiful land (desirable Greenwich BackCountry land is only some $800K/acre vs Eastern LkForest's ~$2MM/acre); and much lower property taxes (flows through even in rentals)

Scarsdale, NY is other consideration....sort of like Winnetka....closer to Manhattan (~18mis vs ~30mis for Gwich's RoundHill area from Midtown); excellent public schools...most houses are on puny (<1 acre) lots...face higher NY taxes...more middle-income (by NYC stds) investment bankers/lawyers vs Greenwich's more hedgie-oriented crowd
I think you need to rethink your definition of "cheap." The median home price in Greenwich is over $600k more than Lake Forest, and the amount of foreclosures since August is half in Greenwich than it is in Lake Forest.

Do you base the information you provide here on facts or simply pull biased data out of the clouds?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM

8,778 posts, read 18,728,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think you need to rethink your definition of "cheap." The median home price in Greenwich is over $600k more than Lake Forest, and the amount of foreclosures since August is half in Greenwich than it is in Lake Forest.

Do you base the information you provide here on facts or simply pull biased data out of the clouds?

IDK, maybe Greenwich isn't so great. Lots of violent hooligans attending those Greenwich schools. LMAO X 50.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM

19 posts, read 43,658 times
Thanks Kidyankee764 and Hwc and everybody thanks so much, I've been looking into Greenwich area I really like it especially the "hedgie-oriented crowd" you mentioned would be cool for networking. I also have been looking into White Plains, Scardales NY and just about every place in CT including Darien, Stamford and other places you've mention above. All would be great to network and good commute to NYC. However most of the houses I've searched are either so expensive, or so old, or don't have enough landscape or too close to main roads (yada/yada). I also haven't found one that fits our budget, specs, taste and don't want to rent to pets (we'd like to rent first and then buy but if push comes to shove we'll buy if we're in love with the place).
However, I've been looking into a couple houses we found in Fairfield and they are so beautiful and new, complete with great open wide landscapes for the dogs and even trying my thumb at gardening. The other option I like is the space and privacy away from the neighbors and open roads. So my next concern is finding more housing with those specs in other locations and please share your opinions on Fairfield as a whole I really like to get some perspectives, are the people as friendly as us midwesterners?(giggles). I did a google map search for directions to the nearest target and whole foods, borders, movie theaters, restaurants, and places like that and they all seem relatively minutes away which is great! and even Greenwich is like a 30mins away so that's pretty good for exploring another town for shopping, hobnobing and networking!
So we're still on the search

Last edited by ChitoNY; 11-24-2008 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,654,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
A few thoughts about the erroneous information for the OP. Scarsdale is not 18 minutes from Midtown. It's closer to 35 minutes on the train, and driving from Scarsdale to the northernmost part of Manhattan is at least 25 minutes, without traffic. To Midtown, add at least another 20 minutes to the driving figure, realistically. Greenwich is not 30 minutes from Midtown, even on an express train, it's 40-45 minutes to Grand Central. And, driving to Midtown from Greenwich is about an hour.

My grandparents lived in Greenwich, and it has changed. It's still a very nice town, but in comparison to other areas, it's very built-up. If I were to recommend a place in CT, I'd go further out to North Stamford, close to the NY border, though it's further from town. New Canaan, Westport, Wilton, Weston, and Easton are other places that I would recommend.

And, if you don't mind taking the train from New York, I'd recommend looking into Ridgefield as well, since it's just over the border from Katonah, and it's about an hour on the train to Grand Central from Katonah. That can be a bit far for many people who don't have a place in the city as well, so closer-in will be in the NY suburbs of Westchester County. If you don't mind this commute, however, I'd suggest looking into nearby areas including Bedford, Katonah, Pound Ridge, South Salem, and Waccabuc.

In New York, if you want a 30-40 minute commute to Midtown, you are going to be looking at places like Bronxville, Pelham, Larchmont, Irvington, and Rye. Parts of New Rochelle are worthy of consideration, but the city as a whole does not have the best reputation in Westchester, having a downtown core that has its share of problems. Harrison and Purchase might also be worth considering in the greater White Plains area.

That said, your money will definitely go further in Connecticut, especially with regard to the taxes as Westchester taxes do tend to be a bit higher on similar houses.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, driving to Midtown from Greenwich is about an hour.
During off peak travel times you can get to Midtown in 40 minutes - It takes about an hour an 10 minutes during the morning commute. Greenwich is only 30 miles from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut