Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 AM

235 posts, read 783,209 times

Advertisements

I couldn't believe what I read in the NY Times this morning about plans to lower mortgage rates for new buyers, after all the chatter on this subject during the week.

If some people have their way, new buyers of homes could get mortgage rates as low as 4.5%, which is great to kickstart sales again. Who loses out? Everyone who works their rear ends off to keep paying their current mortgages (fixed-rate or whatever), since we won't be allowed to refinance at those low rates.

If this goes through, the only option I might have is to sell my home as soon as I get a half-decent price, then look around to buy a new one (or even the same one) with a 4.5% mortgage...!

NYT article : http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/bu...eEwhkg2v4HSz0g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM

252 posts, read 769,206 times
The unfortunate truth is that there's no easy or elegant solution to the housing crisis. The government, correctly realizing that the housing crisis underlies the broader economic problems and desperate to do something, is considering a political solution to an economic problem. If they implement the program you cite, there will be no end of unintended consequences.

It's a sad situation that, at this point, can't be solved without making things worse for many innocent people.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
I don't see sales going up no matter the interst rate, homes still have to appraise to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut