U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,103 posts, read 54,880,494 times
Reputation: 10880

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyH View Post
This is one place I need to chime in JayCT.. spilling over of crimes, I think, is a fact. My husband and I rented in fairfield on Trefoil Ct in fairfield, which is on the bridgeport line. My husband's car was stolen from the driveway on a friday evening, about a 1/2 hr after he'd returned from work. What blew me away was the sense of "normalcy" the cop had about the happening:".. oh probably some teenage kids from bridgeport, playing around on a friday evening!!!!" Well, when the car was found 3 days later, there was $7000 worth repairs and "playful damages!" I could not get over the fact how normal the cop felt!! Even the camera tripod stand was broken still left in the car.
The next day we found our future home in Redding.. where it's quite the opposite.

Anyways, long story short, I think it's important to let a new comer know the reality.

I do have to agree that fairfield is a fun town to live in. I'll die for the beach.. a few movies on the beach.. many ethnic take out places.. good meat/specialty stores, salons; movie theaters; BJs.. but a bit more of a feel of a city than a small town..

MollyH - Trefoil court is NOT on the Bridgeport line. It is in Knapp's Park Village which is a World War II housing project that is now privately owned homes. It is over a mile from the Bridgeport city line.

My family has lived in this part of Fairfield for more than 80 years, not far from where you lived. In those years, not much has happened to us. We had one bike taken from the garage (well over 40 years ago) and a CB radio (over 20 years ago). I would hardly characterize that as a problem though. Believe me, this kind of things are common even in the nicest suburbs that are further from the city. As for the Fairfield cops, I do not think they were trying to say it was common. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
 
Location: CT
119 posts, read 363,971 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
MollyH - Trefoil court is NOT on the Bridgeport line. It is in Knapp's Park Village which is a World War II housing project that is now privately owned homes. It is over a mile from the Bridgeport city line.

My family has lived in this part of Fairfield for more than 80 years, not far from where you lived. In those years, not much has happened to us. We had one bike taken from the garage (well over 40 years ago) and a CB radio (over 20 years ago). I would hardly characterize that as a problem though. Believe me, this kind of things are common even in the nicest suburbs that are further from the city. As for the Fairfield cops, I do not think they were trying to say it was common. Jay

Hi Jay, You seem to be a very fair commentor here on the forum and now I see that we have even more in common as far as time in FFLD and having lived in that area of town (at one point in time, at least). We probably have crossed paths...I hope that wasn't your CB that I took "Breaker, breaker..."

I do have to say that I don't entirely disagree with Molly in this case, though. She just seems to be trying to paint an accurate picture to the poster. I think we can help.

Remember in the late 80's when we decided to convert to one H.S.? I recall the outcry from the Ludlowe side of town when the decision was that Warde would be the location of the single H.S.----The outcry was that Warde was "only two short blocks from Bridgeport!"
I used to counter-argue that it was also right next door to a Country Club!!!

The point here is that there IS some spill-over of "minor" incidents due to walking distance for Bpt kids who may be so inclined to visit FFLD as well as the obvious point that it is easier to make a fast get-away the closer you are to the town line. (BTW, its also convenient for any FFLD kids to cause trouble just over the line into BPT...if they are so inclined...as some are want to do )

This is certainly not something that is limited to Fairfield and overall we have a VERY, VERY safe community.

"...that's a big 10-4, good buddy. I'll catch you on the flip-flop."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,103 posts, read 54,880,494 times
Reputation: 10880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfielder View Post
Hi Jay, You seem to be a very fair commentor here on the forum and now I see that we have even more in common as far as time in FFLD and having lived in that area of town (at one point in time, at least). We probably have crossed paths...I hope that wasn't your CB that I took "Breaker, breaker..."

I do have to say that I don't entirely disagree with Molly in this case, though. She just seems to be trying to paint an accurate picture to the poster. I think we can help.

Remember in the late 80's when we decided to convert to one H.S.? I recall the outcry from the Ludlowe side of town when the decision was that Warde would be the location of the single H.S.----The outcry was that Warde was "only two short blocks from Bridgeport!"
I used to counter-argue that it was also right next door to a Country Club!!!

The point here is that there IS some spill-over of "minor" incidents due to walking distance for Bpt kids who may be so inclined to visit FFLD as well as the obvious point that it is easier to make a fast get-away the closer you are to the town line. (BTW, its also convenient for any FFLD kids to cause trouble just over the line into BPT...if they are so inclined...as some are want to do )

This is certainly not something that is limited to Fairfield and overall we have a VERY, VERY safe community.

"...that's a big 10-4, good buddy. I'll catch you on the flip-flop."
So you were the one! Well you can keep it now. I am sure we have crossed paths over the years. If not, you probably know some of my rather extensive family there. Sorry about that if you do. LOL

Warde is not "two short blocks" from Bridgeport though. It is about a mile around the Brooklawn Country Club. Shows how much people really know their town. Also the parts of Bridgeport closest to Fairfield are also some of the nicest as well. The North End, Brooklawn and Black Rock are very nice middle to upper middle class areas.

I also wanted to apologize to Molly if I sounded a bit "Short". I do know how hard it is to have a vehicle stolen and how frustrating it can be. Anyway, best wishes to everyone for a good holiday season. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: New England
740 posts, read 1,848,193 times
Reputation: 443
We moved to Fairfield in October and so far it has surpassed our expectations. For us it is the perfect mix of small town feel with all the immenities of a small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
 
9 posts, read 63,465 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks Toddb,
This commuting time is good info for us. Are you talking about on the Merritt?
We drove to Greenwich to Fairfiled on Merritt and realized that exit 42 wesport between exit 45 fairfiled is really long whole.
Is the junction exit 40/ Route 7 area really conjested aroud the peak time? or trafic is everywhere between Greenwich and Fairfiled. If anyone know the general answers, it would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Fairfield
588 posts, read 1,844,703 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromwest View Post
Thanks Toddb,
This commuting time is good info for us. Are you talking about on the Merritt?
We drove to Greenwich to Fairfiled on Merritt and realized that exit 42 wesport between exit 45 fairfiled is really long whole.
Is the junction exit 40/ Route 7 area really conjested aroud the peak time? or trafic is everywhere between Greenwich and Fairfiled. If anyone know the general answers, it would be helpful. Thank you.
I was talking about 95 -- I would drop my wife off for the 6:08 train in Fairfield, then would head down to NJ. Sometimes if we were really tired I would take her to a later train, and my commute would exponentially increase.

The Merritt isn't much better than 95 - it's just nice that there are no trucks. I've noticed that in traffic they move where they want, and cars be damned. I've had to swerve onto the shoulder because a truck wanted to get in my lane and, without putting on a turn signal, just moved over.

At peak morning time on the Merritt heading south or peak evening heading north, traffic is basically miserable the entire way between Fairfield (exit 44) and Greenwich (I forget which exit #). It can also get bad between exits 46 and 49.

And yes, even though the exits are generally spaced by mileage (from exit 44 to exit 49 is about 5 miles), that is definitely not the case between exits 42 and 44. It's about 6 miles between the 2 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
 
Location: CT
119 posts, read 363,971 times
Reputation: 59
I would say that ToddB answered it best in one word: miserable. At least at peak rush hour times. That goes for I-95 or Rt 15. Your best option would be to leave early to and from work if possible. On the other hand, maybe it's fun to sit in traffic since so many people do it!

Oh, and that stretch on Rt 15 in Fairfield and Westport is called "no man's land". And, justifiably so. You'll agree when you get stuck there due to an accident further up the road.

(Oops! toddb responded while I was writing this. Sorry to be redundant.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top