Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,400,545 times

Advertisements

1. ShopRite
2. Stop&Shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,293,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
I haven't read this entire thread and don't know if it's been said before, but the Shaws stores are going out of business. Out of the 10 Shaws (I hadn't realized that there were so few!) 5 were bought by Stop & Shop and 5 by Shop Rite.
Just the ones in Connecticut are getting sold off. The other states, no. But I wouldn't be surprised if Shaws went under, New England wide.

Of the 18 in CT - 10 will be ShopRite, one will be a ShopRite cousin, and five S&S. Two yet to be determined.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Shaws has closed a lot of stores in other states. Don't be surprised if theysell off stores in other states too. Their parent, Supervalu, just can't manage things properly. Jay

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM

17 posts, read 29,569 times
Smile Big Y

Even though Stop & Shop is just a couple of blocks away, our first choice is Big Y. It's the only place to get my favorite bread - snowflake rolls
Their meat and seafood section are also very good. It's the only place I "gamble". At check-out you press a button to play the "slots" and see if you won one of their colored coins - have yet to win a gold one. These coins can be redeemed for $s off items - I love them!

We also checkout Aldi's especially for European chocolate

Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torringtonCTbychoice View Post
Even though Stop & Shop is just a couple of blocks away, our first choice is Big Y. It's the only place to get my favorite bread - snowflake rolls
LOL. I was just in Big Y and i had to pass on the snowflake rolls this time because they were a bit overdone. When they're right though, Yum.

Quote:
Their meat and seafood section are also very good.
The meat is okay overall. Try the seasoned pork butt or the seasoned(not the stuffed ones) chops if they have them. The seafood though tends to lean toward being of the previously frozen variety. The fried haddock is pretty good though.

Quote:
It's the only place I "gamble". At check-out you press a button to play the "slots" and see if you won one of their colored coins - have yet to win a gold one. These coins can be redeemed for $s off items - I love them!
I'm getting a bit tired of the coin gimmick, and they only give out 2 kinds now. BTW, i've "won" 3 gold coins.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Favorite Independent.
Highland Park Market Highland Park Market
Why? Simple. Think old fashioned market, combined with world foods.
They're closing their South Windsor store:

http://www.journalinquirer.com/artic...c313766927.txt

Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
There's a Big Y in walking distance and they have monthly buy-one-get-two-free sales. When I can get 3 pounds of uncooked atlantic white shrimp for $10, three pounds of ziti rigatti for $1.29, and 3 packages of 8-o-clock coffee (totalling around 2.5 pounds) for $6.00, then Big Y is my favorite that week.

However, for produce, I normally go to the produce store (Connecticut Natural Foods, in North Haven). If I'm gonna be stuck with green bananas, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay supermarket prices for them. Also, beefsteak tomatos at CT Natural are usually under $2.00/pound, while Big Y and Stop & Shop run between $2.49 and $3.99/pound. And the beefsteaks at CT Natural are HUGE, and slice gorgeously.

For ground beef I stick with Big Y because the other markets have them shipped to them pre-packaged. Big Y grinds it on premise and will package to order if you give them an hour advance notice during the week.

BJ's is where I get my parmeseano reggiano, because it's around $4/pound cheaper than the supermarkets, and they have a few different origins to choose from.

I went to Aldi's for the very first time and I have to say, I was impressed with some of the stuff I got. I'll never get their salad dressing again - I didn't realize til I got home that one of the main ingredients was sugar. Sugar, in garlic/vinegar salad dressing..it was pretty gross. I guess I could use it as a chicken marinade for the grill. Otherwise it's going in the trash at the end of the summer.

For chicken salad, the Stop & Shop in Wallingford has rotisserie chicken salad that they make on premise, from the leftover chickens that they didn't sell the night before. My husband loves it, and they use Hellman's mayo, which is what we use at home.

Also, when I shop at Stop & Shop, I get points, and you get 10 cents off per gallon at their gas station for every 100 points accumulated. Since I have to use premium gas (93 octane), that 40-50 cents off per gallon, per fillup, is very much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's a Big Y in walking distance and they have monthly buy-one-get-two-free sales. When I can get 3 pounds of uncooked atlantic white shrimp for $10, three pounds of ziti rigatti for $1.29, and 3 packages of 8-o-clock coffee (totalling around 2.5 pounds) for $6.00, then Big Y is my favorite that week.
When did they do B1G2 on 8 o'clock? This past week it was the cheapest i've seen in quite awhile($2.50), but i've never seen the B1G2 on it. Funny thing is, last week ShopRite's whole bean was also the cheapest($2.50) i've seen in a long time. Yeah, i'm well stocked on coffee beans right now.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
It was around a month and a half ago. One of those "Wacky Weekend" deals only available Saturday and Sunday. The rest of the week it was B1G1.

I also stocked up when Dunkin Donuts had their recent sale, of 4 pounds for $19.99.

Usually I prefer 8 o'clock, for my "usual morning" cup. For special occasions I'll drag myself down to downtown New Haven and pick up a pound of Sumatra Mandheling from Willoughby's.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,675,742 times
anyone know what the former Shaw's on the Berlin Tpke is to become? i think in this thread it was mentioned that all Shaw's have been bought out by S&S and PriceRite. since there is already a S&S in Berlin not too far away, i'd imagine the tpke store would become a PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut